1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen Factory Frame Replacement | Preparation & Have Extra Work Done During Process?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DistortedAxis, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Dec 15, 2016 at 8:16 PM
    DistortedAxis

DistortedAxis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    Desert Sand Mica, 2006, V6, 6SPD Manual, SR5, DCSB, 4X4
    STOCK
    Apparently I was able to jump the wait list for my new frame swap. Originally I was told it could take up to 6 months, but the dealer I am going through had a frame arrive for another customer who's Taco was recently written off due to an accident. I just go the phone call today and apparently I'm next on the list as a result.

They mentioned that if anything not related to the frame was to break, or need to be replaced I would be on the hook for it.

I'm considering having the following items added during the frame swap since labor is the same.

-MBRP Dual Exhaust (Old exhaust has to be removed and reinstalled anyways)

-Short Headers (Old exhaust has to be removed and reinstalled but this may bring additional labor charge because they may not remove headers from the engine when doing frame swap)

-Energy Rad support / Cab / Body Mount Bushings (New frame comes will all new factory bushings, but why not do it right the last time -- need to see if the dealer will install aftermarket bushings)

-Extended Brake Lines -- Where to order and what length? (The new frame installation package comes with new brake lines, but in preparation for the 3.5 LT lift, should I order extended line and have them install them ahead of time?)

Does anyone have any suggestions on stuff to add to this list to have the dealer install while doing all this work at the same time? I plan to try to order everything in before January.

Thanks.

2. Dec 16, 2016 at 3:20 PM
    tacofish

tacofish Well-Known Member

Member:
    N NJ
    Vehicle:
    14 ext cab 4x4
    3/1 lowrange spacer lift 285/70/17 wildpeaks
    Anything they are going to replace I would get in writing with cost.
    When my frame was done I asked for shocks/struts to be replaced which they never did.
    Right before it was ready they gave me a list of things that "were bad"and needed to be replaced.
    I told them put it back together and I picked it up.
    Was total BS even had items checked at a independent shop.
    I know this didn't answer your question just putting this out there as a warning.
    Not saying all dealers a bad- just the one that did my frame

3. Dec 16, 2016 at 3:29 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    I'd not mess with anything on your list, except the exhaust, IF the old exhaust is toast. (not the headers, they don't need removal, you'd be paying shop labor rate for that)

I'd be more worried about things like the PS rack/lines, AC lines, radiator/hoses, motor/transmission mounts, suspension bits that mount to the frame, hard brake lines/blocks, ebrake cable/hardware, fuel lines and wiring harness sections that are frame mounted.

It's not a trivial job. I suggest you get under the truck and look over everything mounted/attached in/to the frame and try to evaluate their condition.........

Markcal likes this.
  4. Dec 16, 2016 at 4:11 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I would do what Bill suggested. Generally speaking, I would also just let the dealer swap the factory stuff and not complicate the job.

FWIW, I'd keep the new factory cab mounts. They're pretty good IMO, parts retail for about $50 each, that's like $200 total.

I do recommend swapping the factory radiator ones for ES.

5. Dec 16, 2016 at 11:47 PM
    sparkystaco

sparkystaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    3" lift? A.R.E cap 285/70/17 moto metal 955 17x9

I had my frame replaced in august, dropped it off wed afternoon and it was ready by fri, the only thing I paid for was a bad wheel cylinder, I fucked with the service guy (cause it wasn't bad when I dropped it off) who said $125 to replace until he got the price down to $75 and that's all it cost me.

Your idea's sound good on paper, but my opinion,,,,
    1) exhaust work including headers? your going to get the raping of your life, no pillow will muffle the screams, (wait and find a muffler shop if it's that important to you) or do it yourself,

OEM body mounts are fine no reason to change them.

As far as brake lines, the dealer only replaces the hard lines, does not include the rubber lines going to the calipers or the rear axle, this is the one thing that you should consider if your set on extended brake lines, but they will charge you as much as they can for this to suck as much as they can out of you.

Remember this is warranty work, they only get paid so much for frame replacement, anything else they can charge you for is like a big bonus for the stealership which is already getting a big chunk of change from the frame swap, extra's are not included in what corporate pay's, so you will.

6. Dec 17, 2016 at 5:26 AM
    Larzzzz

Larzzzz Grande' Ricardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 dclb 350+ kmiles
    Aux back up lights, Bed lights, Re-located trailer plug, Good dooby, a.k.a. jumper cable mod, Heated seats, back up camera,
    The new frames are stamped with the vin I was told when my frame was swapped. Apparently they are built on a case by case basis.

7. Dec 17, 2016 at 5:38 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    Talk to them and ask, my dealer cut me a good break on a lot of parts and labor

8. Dec 17, 2016 at 5:42 AM
    Hot Tacoma Blown

Hot Tacoma Blown Well-Known Member

Member:
    NewYork
    Vehicle:
    05 4×4 tacoma
    Super charged,urd u - conn computer 7th injector, headers, pipe bomb y pipe,high flow exhaust.etc....
    I had them put my new moog tie rod ends.Hey they have to algin it anyway.You get new leafs lower control arms rear frame brake lines rear wiring harness.i don't know about headers dealer may not do.

9. Dec 17, 2016 at 6:42 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Sounds sketchy to me. Not you, but whoever told you.

Even if they are VIN stamped, that can be after production, precluding a case by case scenario.

But I'd go back to your source and ask them to show you one.

10. Dec 17, 2016 at 7:14 AM
    Larzzzz

Larzzzz Grande' Ricardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 dclb 350+ kmiles
    Aux back up lights, Bed lights, Re-located trailer plug, Good dooby, a.k.a. jumper cable mod, Heated seats, back up camera,
    That was from the dealer when I saw 2 frames sitting there. He said the one on top was mine.

11. Dec 17, 2016 at 6:53 PM
    sparkystaco

sparkystaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    3" lift? A.R.E cap 285/70/17 moto metal 955 17x9
    The frames are not stamped but have a vin sku sticker for delivery and tracking.

12. Dec 18, 2016 at 6:09 AM
    Jetfixr

Jetfixr What was I thinking??

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Cocoa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    Indigo Blue 4 door 6spd 07 4x4 TRD Offroad.
    TRD, filter and exhaust system. Red line hood struts, New frame, Truxedo cover, Spyder pro headlights, 3" lift, 17" wheels.
    IMG_1459.jpg IMG_1454.jpg IMG_1453.jpg IMG_1458.jpg

My frame replacement is in work. Pretty amazed at the damage and perforations in my original frame.

13. Dec 18, 2016 at 7:06 AM
    N919HJ

N919HJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab TRD OR
    @DistortedAxis- Is your frame replacement part of the $3.4 billion class action lawsuit? They found hole in my frame in October and Toyota refused to replace the frame saying they already treated it even though it obviously didn't work? Now the service manager is telling me to just wait for the lawsuit to get sorted out. Sorry, I don't want to high jack your original post. Just curious how your getting your 06 frame replaced.

14. Dec 18, 2016 at 7:21 AM
    Markcal

Markcal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just curious, did your frame fail because of the expansion of the frame layers in your pictures or did you also have holes/perforations (10mm) too?

15. Dec 18, 2016 at 7:23 AM
    roadking1

roadking1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    n.j.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TrdPro 6-speed manual
    I have the same question as Markcal........

16. Dec 18, 2016 at 7:24 AM
    Markcal

Markcal Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's good to hear that you aren't stuck with an undrivable truck and hope it works out for you getting your frame replacement.

N919HJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Dec 20, 2016 at 10:46 PM
    Jetfixr

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Cocoa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    TRD, filter and exhaust system. Red line hood struts, New frame, Truxedo cover, Spyder pro headlights, 3" lift, 17" wheels.
    There were 4 spots where there was a physical holes in the frame, and the swollen areas.

18. Dec 21, 2016 at 4:25 AM
    Northern Taco

Northern Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma trd off road premium 2023 tundra trd off road
    My dealer recommended gas tank straps. I also bought exhaust, rear drums/shoes/spring kit, front rotors/pads, sway bar and rack/pinion bushings, getting gear oils changed, might replace lower oil pan/gasket if it's rusty looking as labour would be next to nothing. Basically look over truck and see what it needs.

19. Dec 21, 2016 at 5:30 PM
    Jetfixr

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Cocoa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    I inspected my stuff when the truck was apart, the tech told me I didn't need anything my truck was very clean compared to some. No smoke wrenche use never had to cut it all came apart. Wonder what it pays the tech in hrs?

20. Dec 21, 2016 at 5:43 PM
    Northern Taco

Northern Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma trd off road premium 2023 tundra trd off road
    My truck has lived it whole life in the north east of Canada. I know it'll need more parts and some things will have to be cut off.

Products Discussed in

To Top