1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gen frame box plate kit

Discussion in 'Automotive Group Buys' started by jeffz0rz, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Jun 2, 2017 at 9:21 AM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Un-tweaking your frame is remarkably easy to do it is extremely malleable, I had a couple of tweaks on mine and it literally took 5 mins with a crescent wrench to pry the lips and couple whacks with a hammer. So fitting the plates is actually that easy and since the plates were CAD off of a straight frame the plates give you a guide to get the frame back to where it should be.

2. Jun 2, 2017 at 9:23 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I bought a set off another member, they're not the sold ones. I'm waiting for the Toyota frame recall to see if they'll replace my frame or if I'm actually going have it straitened. Either way, I'm planning on welding these in after either of those two options are done. I'd like to still retain the option of having the spare under the bed, but wanted to see if anyone has come up with something for a modified crossmember that would allow that. I def want to get some tube to reinforce everything. Would like to see some pics for ideas.

3. Jun 2, 2017 at 9:25 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Really? I'll have to pull my bed and see what I can do there. I've got hook in my driveway that I can ratchet a come along to as well. Wondering how effective that would be.

4. Jun 2, 2017 at 9:30 AM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    If your frame is just tweaked around the bump stop pads or looks like it has a wrinkle in the bottom edge from an impact odds are the whole frame is not actually tweaked it is just bent at that spot...seriously climb under your truck with a crescent wrench and clamp the jaws on that area around the bump pads and you can bend the frame lip with one hand. If your frame was actually really tweaked your bed would look visibly crooked or out of square etc.

5. Jun 2, 2017 at 9:34 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    The bed is visibly crooked. Had the frame on jack stands, the passenger side was about 1/4" higher than the driver side. Both sides have wrinkles above the bump stops, but the passenger side actually allowed the bed to hit the cab. Bed isn't touching the cab now, but the initial impact did.

6. Jun 2, 2017 at 9:37 AM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    You could easily transfer that OE spare winch mech over to any cross member you build. You would just want to tuck you tubes up high and tight to the bottom of the bed to maintain ground clearance vs. how we used straight tubes on mine. IE: bend your tubes like this :

upload_2017-6-2_9-36-24.jpg

G.T. likes this.
  7. Jun 2, 2017 at 9:39 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Kind of what I was thinking.

8. Jun 2, 2017 at 9:39 AM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    well then your f'd homey :) I've told a lot of people that it is a really good idea to at least box that 12" around your bumps for that exact reason...that has happened to a lot of people from a single hard bottom out :/

9. Jun 2, 2017 at 9:41 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Yup, hoping for Toyota, but probably end up paying someone to straiten it.

10. Jun 2, 2017 at 9:44 AM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    You know anyone with a shop that has a lift ? You just need to be able to anchor to the floor and winch to something sturdy up above...raised lift arm maybe ? I bet if you stripped the bed off and went to a good body shop they would only have to charge you an hour of labor to pull that one frame rail ?

11. Jun 2, 2017 at 9:56 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Unfortunately I don't know anyone personally like that, but have a good relationship with a body shop that is ruputably the best in the area. They have new equipment and well trained techs and quoted me a very low price to get it accomplished. To save on some of the labor, I'll probably pull the bed to drive there.

12. Jun 2, 2017 at 2:32 PM
    HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade NOOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garage Most Likely
    Vehicle:
    DCFB (RIP)
    Some Stuff
    :thumbsup:

IMG_0707.jpg

Texoma and stairgod[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Jun 2, 2017 at 5:03 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    I really like what you did there.

14. Jun 2, 2017 at 6:13 PM
    HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade NOOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garage Most Likely
    Vehicle:
    DCFB (RIP)
    Some Stuff
    My buddy made the crossmember and a guy at work welded it all in. I do really like the way it all came together though.

15. Jun 16, 2017 at 10:32 AM
    Rob2thec

Rob2thec Follow on IG: @Tamara_The_Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    In the Wild
    Vehicle:
    Tamara the Tacoma
    Many and never stops.
    Sent you and email about this kit. I have a 2008 Tacoma TRD Access Cab and would love to do this kit! Let me know.

16. Aug 10, 2017 at 1:49 PM
    desertjunkie760

desertjunkie760 @DesertJunkie760 (IG)

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Check My Sig.
    @jeffz0rz are you still offering these plates in the "open" style? 2011 DCSB with local pickup. Possibly some other member interests as well if that helps?

jeffz0rz[OP] likes this.
  17. Aug 10, 2017 at 2:44 PM
    jeffz0rz

jeffz0rz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    1996 tacoma 4cyl, 5spd
    I always have these plates ready to be cut and shipped or picked up! I can do the windowed style, 3 piece plates for those of you that want to keep your rear stock cross member, as well as the good old fashion solid plates.

desertjunkie760[QUOTED] and G.T. like this.
  18. Aug 10, 2017 at 2:59 PM
    desertjunkie760

desertjunkie760 @DesertJunkie760 (IG)

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Check My Sig.
    So is that 3 separate pieces that we can weld around the factory cross member? I kind of like the idea of making a new one for strength purposes.

Don't want to end up like this guy...
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-story-behind-my-bent-frame-and-broken-coilovers.504957/

jeffz0rz[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  19. Aug 10, 2017 at 3:51 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    My fabricator was pretty impressed with the fitment of this kit. FYI, he did found some stress cracks in my frame prior to boxing them up.

5AC0902A-8BE7-4E23-9188-83582ED2389C_zps_c8d7ef2a62a6a78542f02839811184bfd0c0a21d.jpg

AF21267F-08EB-4837-B3A5-BF655AF1AF84_zps_24a5de28af34dc0f289060431d07ffa350b1a2e0.jpg

1DFE8AC5-1CF7-45A1-9D99-D4AE93358019_zps_5171ebd8deba3a5e4579f982c6e754666ea9f17f.jpg

B823D664-477B-4AFF-B1C1-0CF152BF8540_zps_e8df4ced8df98670ed7ddba9c344b57b6e201363.jpg

4DF88CE0-7880-481C-AAEB-0950FC08980C_zps_ecb21ff72910d0072172d83dfeba47a99110df32.jpg

9E7A1F59-22EA-4789-AA2B-6D4B6745374B_zps_510b7016906d568ddbb2ccf08ca9fe2d9f8599ca.jpg

Hawk373, Nate87, Large and 8 others like this.
  20. Aug 10, 2017 at 8:40 PM
    jeffz0rz

jeffz0rz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    1996 tacoma 4cyl, 5spd
    @SCSPerformance hey !! I made those! always love seeing my stuff put to good use! looks fantastic!

Caboose117, jamesepoop and socataco like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top