1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen Locking Tailgate options

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by MyTacoBeast, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Nov 27, 2021 at 6:04 PM
    MyTacoBeast

MyTacoBeast [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen dble cab
    Looking for a aftermarket part to lock my tailgate with backup cam.

Is the ONLY option the Pop & Lock, which seems to break on ppl 1-4 yrs? I do have a soft tonneau cover so I wouldn't want things to get locked out with a broken Pop & Lock.

Someone on the below thread 4 yrs ago was making/selling a fix for these. Did this ever happen?
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/pop-n-lock-reinforcement-feeler.490682/

I'm still trying to understand WHY Toyota thought it would be a great idea not to have this as a standard.

stonybrook likes this.
  2. Jan 26, 2022 at 2:10 PM
    wi_taco

wi_taco My skid plates give rocks taco flavored kisses

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    Welcome to TacomaWorld. Answering this a bit late, but feel I can give some info...

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy one of the DynoLocks/Dyno Products power actuators. I screwed with their design for a better part of a year and it's inferior to the Pop & Lock brand (it even uses a PopLocks actuator, just different bracket/mechanism). It can/will cause your tailgate handle to get jammed which is bad news if you are out in the wilderness.

There are some other power actuators you can read about in this thread but frankly they all have problems. Pop & Lock power actuators also still has problems but less than the rest. Do the paracord mod for when it breaks so you aren't SOL.

My opinion regarding the aftermarket handles (Pop & Lock): They suck. They are weak & inferior to OEM. People want a physical key lock but it seems they all break. Stick with an OEM handle (i.e. no key lock) + Pop & Lock power actuator. Best you can do unless you can fab up that support bracket yourself since nobody offers them far as I know.

No idea why Toyota didn't include a lock but guessing it's due to $$$ like everything else.

3. Feb 6, 2022 at 5:40 PM
    mattrussmill

mattrussmill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 DCSB
    I ended up reinforcing the power actuator weak point where the plastic mounts to the metal bracket with epoxy when I installed the Pop n Lock. It has heald up well so far. I've also had no problems with the handle but I make sure not to forcefully yank it when I open my tailgate. Fingers crossed this keeps things from breaking

Products Discussed in

To Top