1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gen, OR, optional tow package?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mrguitarguy01, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Aug 20, 2017 at 6:00 PM
    Mrguitarguy01

Mrguitarguy01 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi guys,

I did a search and could not find the specific answer I was looking for. Perhaps I missed it, and if so I apologize.

I am looking at a 2nd gen 2010 OR with the 6MT. The owner says he installed the tow package. Harness and everything. I thought all the OR's had the tow package as a standard option.

It it become standard for the OR's after a certain year? Or is it supposed to be standard equipment on all OR's?

2. Aug 20, 2017 at 10:13 PM
    highriserkaiser

highriserkaiser Estoy Grifo

Member:
    Gunnison National Forest
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB TRD Offroad 4x4
    Original owner? Get paperwork. 2nd owner? Ask specifics to them, for sure. Maybe they upgraded something.

TacoTRD78 likes this.
  3. Aug 20, 2017 at 10:15 PM
    nudavinci64

nudavinci64 Robert @ Holy Horsepower

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Mateo/Cayucos, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 S/C TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Boosted Money Pit....
    I thought it was standard too. At least my 2013 was standard in the OR package.

4. Aug 21, 2017 at 3:39 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I would put it this way. Most TRDs come with the tow package, but it isn't standard. There are some that dont come from the factory with it.

TacoTRD78 likes this.
  5. Aug 21, 2017 at 10:57 AM
    Mrguitarguy01

Member:
    I am, I have asked about what they installed and they said the tow package, wire harness and such. It has the oil filter tuna can underneath the oil filter, and it has ATRAC and the diff lock. All the signs of an OR.

Right, that is what he said. That the tow package became standard in 2013, I just wanted to make sure from TW.

Yes I read that in another thread. I ran the carfax and it doesnt say TRD. It doesnt even say sr5. It says base.

6. Aug 21, 2017 at 12:31 PM
    nudavinci64

nudavinci64 Robert @ Holy Horsepower

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Mateo/Cayucos, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 S/C TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Boosted Money Pit....
    ah nice, missed that part. Makes sense.

7. Aug 21, 2017 at 1:47 PM
    RKCRUZA

RKCRUZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro in the Garage!
    Other than a few computer goodies, the main difference between factory tow and port added or aftermarket tow are the factory tow has a class 4 hitch and is rated for 6400#. They add the "Tuna Can" oil cooler at the filter and a small Tranny cooler. Suspension and such is the same regardless. If memory serves me right the OR's come with the oil cooler installed, not sure about the tranny cooler. If you have the hitch and all of the wiring installed and the "Tuna Can", all you really need to add is a good tranny cooler (factory one is pretty small but does help). This would give you the equivalent of factory tow package and all you would be missing would be some computer controlled anti sway and such that was added though I'm not sure what year they started that. If you are going for the full tow rating you might have a hard time finding a true class IV hitch, though maybe an auto wrecker would have one if you really need it.

Mrguitarguy01[OP] likes this.
  8. Aug 21, 2017 at 1:53 PM
    The Bob

The Bob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Frontrange CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC SR5 4x4 6 speed, 2009 Lexus GX 470
    Would you even have a tranny cooler with a MT?

9. Aug 21, 2017 at 2:03 PM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    The Carfax and even sometimes dealer and Toyota databases call all trucks base except the X-Runner and something else. The SR5 and TRD are weird that way. My truck is a TRD OR but the VIN checkers call it base. I know it's TRD, it's got the correct options for 2008, which were e-locker, yellow Bilstein suspension, tow package, etc. I think tow package became optional with TRD in 2016.

The confusion is actually a problem because an unscrupulous seller can buy a set of TRD decals and potentially pull a fast one. Some even go to the trouble of putting in a dash switch, at least with 80 series that was a problem for their CDL switch. You have to put your eyeballs on the axle and make sure there's an actuator on the side to know there's an e-locker in there.

10. Aug 21, 2017 at 2:13 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    My SR5 did not have a tow package . I have a 3" lift and added the hitch , and a tranny cooler . Next step is oil cooler . I do have a brake controller also for the camper I tow .

11. Aug 21, 2017 at 2:36 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Don't forget the tow package also will have a beefier alternator and I believe a lower temp fan clutch in addition to what was already mentioned.

12. Aug 21, 2017 at 3:21 PM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Heavy duty battery also .

13. Aug 21, 2017 at 3:23 PM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    I have seen quite a few so called TRDs that are not !

14. Aug 21, 2017 at 7:15 PM
    Mrguitarguy01

Member:
    So without seeing it (states away) what would be my tells other than I mentioned was installed?

15. Aug 21, 2017 at 9:47 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    The cooler on the lower right under the horns is the OEM transmission cooler (present on automatic transmissions only). Look for that, a larger 27 battery (vs the 24) a 7 pin plug at the hitch, and a larger 130 amp alternator (vs a 90 amp).

IMG_5185.jpg

16. Aug 22, 2017 at 8:05 AM
    Mrguitarguy01

Member:
    All this stuff could be added right?

17. Aug 22, 2017 at 8:08 AM
    DaveInDenver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    Unexceptional
    Yup, it's all more or less bolt on. Some of it wouldn't be difficult, battery would drop in, the receiver and trailer harness aren't tough. Some of it would be a little involved, A/T and engine oil coolers for example.

18. Aug 22, 2017 at 9:06 AM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    Yes but if someone is going through the trouble to add a transmission cooler they will likely not be using the small OE cooler.

19. Aug 22, 2017 at 9:25 AM
    cliffyk

cliffyk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Saint Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 TRD Sport 145k miles
    Looking through the 2010 eBrochure (click here) it appears the towing package was optional on all V6 models...

20. Aug 22, 2017 at 10:31 AM
    DaveInDenver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    Unexceptional
    Indeed, looks like the tow package wasn't automatic with TRD (OR in this case) in that 2010 brochure.

Products Discussed in

To Top