1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen Pedal commander review.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TimPall13, May 15, 2018.

1. May 15, 2018 at 8:39 PM
    TimPall13

TimPall13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3link SAS 02 SR5 Limited V6
    Lift: TrailGear 3link SAS with Fox 2.0 Coil overs in front. Custom Alcan Leafs with relocated Fox 2.0 shocks in rear. Sitting at 6in of lift. Armor: Relentless Fab Front bumper with home made hoops and Warn VR Evo 10s winch. Relentless Fab Rear bumper with swingout gate. Gears/Grip: 4.88 gears with ARB Air lockers front and rear. 35x12.5 Mickey Thimpson Baja Boss MTs on 17in Trail Ready Beadlock wheels. Lighting: 6000k 55w HID head lights in Retrofit Prejectors, KC Slim Light LEDs behind a Grillcraft grill and on CBI windshield mounts, And LED rock Lights. Performance: 6" deckplate mod, URD Crank Pulley, K&N air filter, ISR mod, and a AirRaid throttle body spacer, magnaflow muffler. Audio: Alpine speakers and sub running on a Alpine 5ch amp. All ran with Stinger wire kit, and a Pioneer AVH4100NEX DVD receiver. Extras: 15% Window Tint, Spray in bed liner, LineX coated factoey fender flares, Custom Roof rack/Track system, SoftTopper Canopy, Viair Dual 444c Onboard air with dual 2.5Gal tanks.
    Hey everyone! I'm doing a detailed review of the pedal commander calibrator. I've been asked by many people how it works and the big question of is it worth it. I recently install it in my 2015 V6 tacoma with auto transmission and have put a lot of time and miles into each mode and messing with the priority levels. I have also had others drive the truck to get their opinion. So lets get to it.
    What is the pedal commander and what does it do?
    The Pedal Commander calibrator is a device that connects to your trucks electronic throttle pedal. This allows the device to increase the signal from your pedal to the engine. The unit comes with 4 different modes that change the signal based on your needs. Those modes are: ECO, CITY, SPORT, and SPORT PLUS. In each mode there is a priority setting from -4 to +4 to determine that modes "strength". For example: If you put it in ECO mode and Priority +4 then its going to reduce your power during acceleration to prevent burning more fuel. SPORT PLUS mode in priority +4 gives the max power and response for those fast and powerful takeoffs!
    My experience since day one.
    When i received my unit my first impression was good! It came in a nice box with everything you need, instructions and a sticker. Install was super simple. You simply unplug the connector located on top of you pedal and plug the unit into both the pedal and the old connector. Then just mount the unit somewhere on the dash and you're good to go. On first start up the unit is turned off and is easily turned on by pushing the power/mode button. This button is used to change modes by simply pushing it and cycles from CITY, SPORT, SPORT PLUS and the OFF(factory driving conditions). These modes are indicated by lights as well as priority level. To activate ECO mode you simply hold down the button for 3 seconds. Now ill give my feedback with each mode.
    My experience with ECO mode.
    ECO mode is strange... It makes the acceleration sluggish. You do get used to it over time but i would recommend this mode for long distance trips. I put 100miles in ECO mode driving up and down my local MT. pass and loved it! My truck has a RTT, gear and lift and where i would normally get around 13.5mpg up the MT. i was getting closer to 16mpgs. I ran this mode on 0 priority and felt it was perfect.
    CITY MODE.
    CITY mode is great for daily driving. I've been running this mode for my daily driving and have noticed a small increase in MPG but also seems to have some of that power from sport mode. I personally like this mode on -2 priority due to it still having a snappiness on take off.
    SPORT MODE.
    This mode is just fun! IMO you can run this mode on any priority and its perfect for that aggressive acceleration. It did take a little time to get used to it but it is manageable if one wished to drive in this mode for long periods of time. It significantly reduced the lag and distance needed to push the pedal for that drop gear take off.
    Finally SPORT PLUS!!!!
    This mode is just insane! Any priority you choose will still be fun and powerful but +4 is raw Power. In this mode the truck has a feather throttle and just a toe makes the truck drop all gears and launch. The acceleration in this mode is like drag racing on the street and has left me and all my testers with a huge grin! I DO NOT recommend this mode for heavy traffic driving and daily driving because of how sensitive it makes your pedal and how quick it takes off! Plus your MPGs go to heck!
    The Big Question!
    Is it worth the $300 price tag? In my opinion and all my testing.... YES. This unit is so impressive and gives you so many options to fine tune your needs! Overall id give it a 10 out of 10 for how simple it is, how easy to install, and how effective it is. I hope this helps anyone whose been on the fence about the Pedal Commander and i'
    m always willing to answer any more questions. Finally use Code SALAS10 for a discount on the unit.
    This is the code they gave me for Toyota owners since the sponsor a Toyota racer. Thanks everyone and please feel free to leave your reviews and feed back for others to read too.
    -Tim
    PC.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. May 15, 2018 at 8:47 PM
    Thegenerik1

Thegenerik1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    Nice review, but I question it’s authenticity because of the discount code dropped at the end. Makes me wonder if you're just a salesman and not a customer reviewing the product.

3. May 15, 2018 at 8:51 PM
    NCtaco13

NCtaco13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2013 Gray DCSB 4x4 V6
    That's exactly what i thought too I could understand throwing the price out there but what normal person has discount codes to give out

4. May 15, 2018 at 9:06 PM
    TimPall13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Lift: TrailGear 3link SAS with Fox 2.0 Coil overs in front. Custom Alcan Leafs with relocated Fox 2.0 shocks in rear. Sitting at 6in of lift. Armor: Relentless Fab Front bumper with home made hoops and Warn VR Evo 10s winch. Relentless Fab Rear bumper with swingout gate. Gears/Grip: 4.88 gears with ARB Air lockers front and rear. 35x12.5 Mickey Thimpson Baja Boss MTs on 17in Trail Ready Beadlock wheels. Lighting: 6000k 55w HID head lights in Retrofit Prejectors, KC Slim Light LEDs behind a Grillcraft grill and on CBI windshield mounts, And LED rock Lights. Performance: 6" deckplate mod, URD Crank Pulley, K&N air filter, ISR mod, and a AirRaid throttle body spacer, magnaflow muffler. Audio: Alpine speakers and sub running on a Alpine 5ch amp. All ran with Stinger wire kit, and a Pioneer AVH4100NEX DVD receiver. Extras: 15% Window Tint, Spray in bed liner, LineX coated factoey fender flares, Custom Roof rack/Track system, SoftTopper Canopy, Viair Dual 444c Onboard air with dual 2.5Gal tanks.
    Hey guys I should have included details on the code. I'm not in any way apart of pedal commander or sales of theirs. I got the code from them and that code is the general Toyota discount code since they sponsor a Toyota driver. I apologize for not stating that.

pavement.is.lava, Biscuits and Jastoy like this.
  5. May 15, 2018 at 9:11 PM
    Hadataco

Hadataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anybody have experience with this thing on a 6 speed?

Squirrel1969 and ToyotaDriver like this.
  6. May 15, 2018 at 10:23 PM
    20somethingwidataco

20somethingwidataco Yes, my avatar is a real car.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    Ya, how does it work with a MANual. Also, can't believe that a 300 dollar gadget is worth only 2-3 mpgs....

7. May 16, 2018 at 1:18 AM
    Twitch81

Twitch81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Double cab Taco 4x4
    It's not a diesel so it takes a lot of bucks to get a little bang...

8. May 16, 2018 at 3:47 AM
    Ant1-Hero

Ant1-Hero Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OFFROAD
    I love mine, if I bought another Tacoma I would install again. City +2 here, night and day difference.

TimPall13[OP] likes this.
  9. May 16, 2018 at 2:25 PM
    Tootall604

Tootall604 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma sb
    Currently run one on my 2015 manual trans and could not imagine life without it. I found it eliminated lag in throttle between shifts and made heel toe shifting a breeze. The truck will always shift like a truck (manual) but definitely gets rid of the throttle lag. I personally run mine in sport plus two and love the response. In race mode it is easy to light up my 32” tires! Off road warehouse sells them and offers a money back return policy if you do not like. I personally feel that if you have a manual tacoma this is a must purchase. I am no way affiliated with pedal comander or the mentioned vendor. I was very sceptical when purchasing thus the reason I went with the full money back trial option. I will never operate my truck without it, night and day difference. Most nay sayers in forums like this who question it often have not tryed it and more importantly not tryed it on a manual.

10. May 16, 2018 at 2:34 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Thanks for the reviews! I saw this installed on a YouTuber's 4runner just the other day for the first time and was intrigued. I've added it to my future mod list.

TimPall13[OP] likes this.
  11. May 16, 2018 at 2:43 PM
    LittleLady808

LittleLady808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kauai,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prerunner SR5 2.7l
    The review was on a v6 automatic which being a v6 already has some power! Give us a review with it in a 4cyl. Automatic 4 door and let’s see how much of an improvement it can do. :)

DGXR and TimPall13[OP] like this.
  12. May 16, 2018 at 3:31 PM
    NCtaco13

NCtaco13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2013 Gray DCSB 4x4 V6
    I was reading some reviews on the 3rd gen area and one guy had it on his automatic and said it felt like the ECU was "learning" that it was installed because it felt like the truck was going back to the way it originally was. Does anybody have any experience or input in regards to that?

13. May 16, 2018 at 4:44 PM
    Atlas86

Atlas86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB
    Thanks for the review, I've been curious about these.

14. May 16, 2018 at 6:17 PM
    unixadm

unixadm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2015 DCSB 4x4 Off Road
    I have one on my 2015 and really like it. Would buy again. A bit pricey, but since I have two other vehicles and the Tacoma is by far the most lethargic, it made it a bit more enjoyable to drive.

15. May 17, 2018 at 6:44 PM
    Cullen@GotExhaust

Cullen@GotExhaust Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    White 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Stock
    Very good write up Tim!

Biscuits and TimPall13[OP] like this.
  16. May 17, 2018 at 9:19 PM
    DANGERMONEY

DANGERMONEY Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't think this is necessary. In fact, what if you are in eco and need that power in an emergency,

I'm not sold and I think you could get yourself it a bad spot with that thing installed if you get in an accident.

If I represented the insurance company on either side I'd be all over that. I'd seek to invalidate your coverage or lead that it overrode the factory calibration and safety.

You don't have to be right, you just have to plant the seed.

17. May 17, 2018 at 9:29 PM
    White lightning boosted

White lightning boosted Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Poulsbo
    Vehicle:
    15' DCSB OR S/C
    Lift, pedal commander, led foglights, led interior lights, led back ups, led under lighting, urd tcai, led headlights, methanol injection, 76mm tb, hood struts, dif breather mod, ratiotek trans kit, x-series gauges, true cool trans cooler, belt wrap mod, 2.8 pulley
    I have one. I'm middle of the road on it. Yes, it's a neat touch. If someone offered me what I paid for it I'd sell it right now. If it was hp per dollar I'd spend double and get headers that make 20 something hp.

18. May 19, 2018 at 11:00 AM
    TimPall13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Hey, so I was worried about that same thing but checked day one and if you are in eco mode and punch it, you truck does still drop gears and take off as if driving normal. I was worried of same thing but it looks like they took care of that in case of emergency need for power.

CMD-KY likes this.
  19. May 21, 2018 at 3:39 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    I've always hated the drive by wire setup ever since car manufactures starting going that route. I was so used to the old school throttle cable where acceleration was instant. You push it and it goes with no lag whatsoever. With the Tacoma, even with a TRD SC, you punch it and have to wait a split second before the truck actually takes off. Changing lanes quickly on the highway drove me nuts.

With the speed commander, I get most of that instant response back in Sport mode +3, but still not like a traditional cable would. The pedal can initially feel too sensitive in Sport and Sport+ mode which where I think it feels unnatural. This is definitely something you will want to shut down on the trails. However, overall I'm happy with it and would buy it again.

Biscuits likes this.
  20. May 21, 2018 at 9:46 PM
    kgarrett11

kgarrett11 Master Yoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    CA desert
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB

Products Discussed in

To Top