1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen- Rust Recalls

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by xSpyderguyx, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Mar 11, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    RC51

RC51 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    NC.
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner DC.
    This is the first time hearing of this but if my 08 has rust on it, Toyota can take it back. I love my truck but f-that we paid to much for rust.

2. Mar 11, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I've got a small line of rust on my passenger rear fender where the bumper meets the fender...the spots only this big " l-l " but still...and I live in the fuckin desert :laugh:

3. Mar 11, 2010 at 5:23 PM
    PSUnick

PSUnick Lets Go State!

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4x4 Sport
    Sucks it is coming back; I think chassis saver is some pretty good stuff too. I first learned about it from Stacey David on Gears. Although they like to claim they are better than POR-15, I think they are very similar products.

You stated in the other thread that toyota said you can put a coating on the frame and they still will honor the rust warranty. I would like to confirm this, and in writing would be best.

4. Mar 11, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    mr2crazed

mr2crazed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Morro Bay, CA.
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner SR5
    Did it start as a chip in the paint? Seems like an odd spot to start to rust especially for where you live. Got any pictures?

5. Mar 11, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    Reaper22

Reaper22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palmyra Missouri
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Tacoma
    Radient Red, Red Grille, Debadge'd, Blacken'd Headlights, DTRL's, Cruise Control, Fog Lights, 2 1\2" suspension lift, 285\75\16 Nitto Dune Grapplers, Pioneer Premier DEH-P510UB stereo, Pioneer 3 way fronts with factory tweeters & Kenwood tweeters, Kenwood truck boxes behide seats with 8" subs in each, Wet suit like tacoma seat covers
    I have a toyota, jeep liberty and a ford escape, so I don't beleive I am brand loyal, there are thousands of moving parts that are subject to fail at any given time on any brand, but I will say toyota stepped up to the plate and took care of me on the 1st gen frame rust. So I will defend them on that issue. although they did get their themselves in a mess with the floor mat crap.. But I also know of someone who bought a new camaro several years back and it spent more time in the shop than on the road...

6. Mar 11, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    Reaper22

Member:
    Palmyra Missouri
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Tacoma
    Radient Red, Red Grille, Debadge'd, Blacken'd Headlights, DTRL's, Cruise Control, Fog Lights, 2 1\2" suspension lift, 285\75\16 Nitto Dune Grapplers, Pioneer Premier DEH-P510UB stereo, Pioneer 3 way fronts with factory tweeters & Kenwood tweeters, Kenwood truck boxes behide seats with 8" subs in each, Wet suit like tacoma seat covers
    And ford, chevy and chrysler don't?? Hell every extended cab chevy I owned and see on the road is rusting in the rear rocker panel.. My ford escape is rusting.. No doubt Toyota has allot of problems right now but they will come back, besides they put food on allot of american workers tables out there that's more than you can say about government motors..

7. Mar 11, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    You know what I think is funny.... Every since Toyota introduced the Recall for the Gas pedals, I've noticed, That all of a sudden, People have been careening out of control and having pedal problems.

I think thats bizarre to me. No one really thought about it until the Recall occured.

8. Mar 11, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    My sarcastic meter is off the charts!!! :rolleyes::)

9. Mar 11, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I agree with everything you had just said. Who knows I could be in a Ford F250 diesel when I go off to college. All I know is that, yes I do remain loyal to my vehilves manufacturer, but that means I dont throw out everyother company Just because they dont make my truck.

10. Mar 11, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    Peru

Peru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    Wish I had the time to read all the posts so I may be repeating. I've had nissans, hondas, chebbies, mecedes bens, and this is my first Toyota. It's going on the third year and there is rust on the rails and chasis mounts. Don't get me wrong -- I love this truck but it's about as good as the chevy In the rust dept which is IMO not acceptable. This truck has lived in the dessert and here in WA with very little dirt roads and no snow or mt passes.

My ranger After 6 years never rusted on the frame at all with 1 year in philadelphia and many, many mt passes with all the anti icing they put out. The MB doesn't count because it was a 1974 model and they built those things to last a
    billion years. Nissan and honda beat the Toyota too.

This is 100% anecdotal evidence but it does say something about the urban legend that Toyota enjoyed for so many years.

BTW a friend had a 1980 land cuiser and as far as I am concerened a better vehicle you will never find, next in line is the Nissan patrol

11. Mar 11, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    Heepspo

Heepspo I wouldn't say I'm missin' it, Bob...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB, Prem & Tech w/JBL, Towing
    Fuel Vector D600 17" Wheels, Toyo 285/70-17 AT2 Tires, Tuff Country 52907 3" Leveling Lift, Full Katzkin Leather (Black with Platinum Stitching), SOS Concepts Streamline Front Bumper, 3M Scotchgard PPF, "no vtec 4me" BHLM, Husky X-act Contour Floor Liners, Cali Raised Faux Pro Grille, Predator Sliders, WeatherTech Mudflaps, UnderCover Ultra Flex Tonneau Cover, OEM Bed Mat, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 Headlights/High Beams & Carbide Canbus 2.0 Amber LED Front Turn Signal Bulbs, Salex Console Organizer, Rhino Seat Belt Extenders (removes annoying dinging), 15% Window Tint, JDM ASTAR 800 Reverse Lights, LED Interior Lighting Package, Stant Locking Gas Cap, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT PLUS Hood Struts, Gentex Compass Mirror w/Homelink, mesojdm Ultimate Turn Signals, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Dash Mount and AR15 Bolt Radio Knobs, CBoy808 Custom Bedside Decals and Flags, De-Badged Doors, Tailgate and Interior Visor Stickers.
    You were VERY lucky... simple as that. :rolleyes:

12. Mar 11, 2010 at 9:48 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I do a rust inhibiting treatment on the underside of my frame twice a year. My father in law owns the business and performs treatments on over 1200 vehicles annually. this treatment was designed to be applied every 12 months - I do my Tacoma every 6 months (fall and spring).

Despite applying this treatment twice as often as designed, each spring I still have to place my Tacoma on a lift and break out the angle grinder with the steel brush attachment. After removing the heavy rust I sandblast down to bare metal and use professional self etching rust inhibiting primer, and follow up with three coats of rust inhibiting semi gloss black paint.

Not normal as far as I'm concerned. I work part time at my FIL's garage during the fall when they are extra busy and have performed 100's of these applications on all makes/models of vehicles. Other manufacturers aren't rusting as fast as this. If anyone has more experience and have been under more than a few hundred different makes and models of vehicles of various ages and would like to contradict my findings - I welcome your opinion. I've been under everything from Audi's to Volkswagen's over the past number of years including buses, dump trucks, and semi's. Freightliners, Petes, Internationals and Kenworth. Basically everything but exotic sports cars.

13. Mar 12, 2010 at 12:50 AM
    zmtnbik

zmtnbik FMLYHM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Trd Off-road
    Donahoe (Icon) C/O, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, BilStein 5125's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2's, Raceline Renegade 17x9's, u-bolt flip kit, debadged, TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, URD MAF controller, 20% front window tint, 3M clear bra on bumper, cam locks in all storage compartments, fog light mod, Alpine X100 deck, Co
    I am a loyal Toyota owner:
    82 Toyota SR5 4x4 - 260,000 miles
    01 Tacoma Pre-runner - 18,000
    88 Toyota SAS'd project sitting in the garage.
    06 Tacoma 4x4 - 34,000 and counting

There was a time I was leasing Ford Rangers, but came back to my beloved Toyota.
    I was thrilled with the latest generation Taco, as it had everything my 01 was missing (rear access doors, 4.0l V6, composite bed, e-locker, 6-speed).

Then there were all the TSB's, which I just ignored, but thinking back, Toyota screwed the pooch.
    A tailgate that folds in half when you load a motor cycle??? Seriously.
    Leaf springs that bottom out when you are not even near the recommended load limits?
    Paint that chips way easier than the rustoleum on my radio flyer!!!

Toyota cut corners and now they are paying for it and I do not have any plans to purchase another one anytime soon.

I have yet to look at the frame to see any rust, but I saw rust on my rear bumper within 18 months of owning my truck. My 82 didn't show any signs of rust on the bumper after 10 years. The paint on the 82 was still good as new after 10 years. After only 12 months, the paint on my 06 was pitted.

Then there is the issue of sudden acceleration that was reported in our trucks back in 06. Anybody that brought up the problem was shot down as they didn't know how to drive, or it was the magic of throttle by wire. Do people think that is the case now???

These problems with the Toyota have been going on for a few years now, and the press finally got involved, and now Toyota has to do something about it; for the safety of all.

It's going to take them years to recover from this, but in the end, it will be a better product, and then I will consider another purchase.

BTW - nobody seems to mention the horrible rust issues with the 84 - 88's.

14. Mar 12, 2010 at 1:25 AM
    808matt

808matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    19 Ranger
    IMO people that are defending toyota are the ones that havent had anything bad happen to their car yet. like me. i'll continue to be ignorant till shit starts to break on my truck then i'll start bitching.

15. Mar 12, 2010 at 1:37 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I was referring to the guy who said to leave Toyota the F@ck alone. Calm down. I didn't mention ford, chevy, or chrysler at all. Of course they want to make profits too, thats what all companies want. All I'm saying if nobody complained about the problems they probably wouldn't even fix them (rust, suspension under loads, transmission,etc)

16. Mar 12, 2010 at 1:55 AM
    Mondwa

Mondwa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 Tacoma
    remote start, Allpro bumper, Slimchubby HID, MetalMiller custom Emblem
    I have owned different makes of cars and trucks. Each has their own set of problems. I agree that if there is a serious issue with the rust then toyota needs to deal with it. But yes it is inconvenient that i have to take my truck to the dealr cause the TSB for the leafsprings. but Toyota fixed it for free with no problems. I think as long as toyota keeps good customer service and stands behind their product I will be more than happy to stay with them. Now if they were to say too bad then i would have a problem with them and would no longer support them.

17. Mar 12, 2010 at 3:04 AM
    Reaper22

Member:
    Palmyra Missouri
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Tacoma
    Wasn't being anal about your comment, I do agree it's all about the money man, cost are being cut everywhere and quanity is being put way ahead of quality in everything we buy, I work maintenance for a large food company and I see our products getting ruined for this very reason, Companies don't give a $hit about customers anymore.. Hell our comany reported bigest profit ever and turns around and says we have to cut cost next year.Why? Stupid $hit huh.

18. Mar 12, 2010 at 4:43 AM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR

i think they put it on my reciept, i'll have to double check that though. i couldnt get the part of the frame where it goes around the motor so i still have some good before and after areas haha.

19. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:14 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    Who's the one blindly defending a company that has let its loyal customers down, you sir are the one acting like sheep or sheeple if you will.

20. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:22 AM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    Agree totally. In Nov 2009 I traded in a 16 year old Chevy S10 4x4 that had less frame rust (it had no body rust) than my 2009 Tacoma has already. Also there is a bracket on the drivers side in the Taco engine compartment that was totally rusted over half its surface a few months after I bought it. Note I said half. Simply defective material or surface treatment (I think it is a galvanized part). Luckily that is not structural. The way the frame is starting to show rust already is *very* surprising to me. I had never given this a thought before buying. I wish it had been reportred in the media since I didn't come to TW until after purchase.

Products Discussed in

To Top