1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd GEN supercharger drivers wanted

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Ez2typethis, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Apr 16, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    Ez2typethis

Ez2typethis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sport
    Suspension -LSK Uniball Uper Control Arms -LSK Uniball Lower Control Arms -Camburg Performance Spindles -ECGS Needle Bearing Installed -Archive Garage Hammer Hangers -Archive Garage 3.6” Shackles -Archive Garage Hanger Cross Tube -Icon 2.5 CDC Extended Travel Coilovers -Icon 14" 700 pound coils -Icon 2.5 CDC RXT Shocks -Icon 2.0 Hydraulic Bump Stops *Bolt On Bump Stop Mount -Wheelers Front Super Bumps Armor -At The Helm Front Bumper -At The Helm Rear Bumper -At The Helm Rear Swing Out -RCI Sliders -RCI Engine Skid Plate -RCI Transfer Case Skid Plate -RCI Transmission Skid Plate -RCI Fuel Tank Skid Plate -Prinsu Designs Top Rack -Prinsu Designs Cab Rack Lights -Black Head Light Mod -OEM TRD Pro Tail Lights -MESO LED Turn Signals -Morimoto HID Headlight Kit -Caliraised LED 40” Slimline -Caliraised LED 20” Slimline -Caliraised LED Amber Pods -Caliraised LED Wide Ditch Lights -Caliraised LED Flush Mount Pods -LED High Beams -LED Dome Lights -LED Back-Up Lights -LED License Plate Lights Miscellaneous -OVtuned2.0 -4.88 gears -ARB twin comp -ARB rear locker -Leer 100XQ Camper Shell -Smitty Built X20 Winch -Warn Fairlead -Warn Sidewinder -Roto Pax 4.5 Gallon Gasoline -Roto Pax 2 Gallon Water -Roto Pax 2 Gallon Gasoline -Weathertech Floor Liners -Double limo tinted -50% tinted windshield -Leather Seats - Installed At Dealer Wheels and Tires -Matte Black Stealth Custom Series Ray 10's (X5) -BFG KO2 285x70r17 // Load Range C (X5)
    New here, but I heart Tacoma's so that makes us friends right? Well here's my deal; I want a supercharger for my 2010 V6 4x4 DC taco. I have the loot and the dealership is waiting for my okay to overnight the parts and start the labor. I just need some basic questions answered about the general driving of the truck once it is supercharged. so I guess i'll start my 20 Q's

(not quite 20)

1. How the the gas mileage affected for city and highway driving?

2. Is there an excessive interior noise from the super charger?

3. Is $4812 out the door too much? if so where casn i get the SC plus instal kit for less than $3879

4. how reliable is the SC on the 4.0L? a 100k miles from now am i going to run into any issues?

5. Does the kit come with a boost gauge? if so where do the install that?

6. Is it an issue to run the SC with the stock exhaust?

7. I know i have to run premium gas with the SC installed, but why?

8. Will it light the tires with traction control off from a dig?

I guess the biggest question is going to be, does adding the SC add enough HP for your $$$???

It's nice switching from my weekend warrior (08 Vette) back to my truck but i miss the power so much!

ANY help is much appreciated and will be taken into thought, if i decide to go through with this. thanks!

Kurt

2. Apr 16, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    toytaco1

toytaco1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jed
    moreno valley
    Vehicle:
    05 supercharged trd off road
    trd supercharger, TRD intake, magna flow exhaust, JBA headers, walker evans front, fox rear, leaf pack, drilled slotted rotors, All Pro Front Bumper, Warn 8000 Winch
    I will give you some of my thoughts on my own TRD supercharger.
    I purchased mine from trd parts 4 u and I paid 3400 for the supercharger and the install kit was an extra 400 I believe.

There is a wine from the supercharger that I think is pretty awesome but not too overwelming, and people always give you a look like what does he have under the hood.

Im not sure why you have to use premium but I have since day one of buying the truck stock sure it has something to do with the VVTI.

I would say by far the best performance mod for the tacoma driving it is like night and day to be able to accelerate as quickly as it does. The supercharger after it breaks in will get even better as far as acceleration, I have since installed a CAI magnaflow exhaust and JBA shorty headers. I am very pleased with the performance and would def reccomend it for you.

It doesnt come with a boost gauge but you can get an aftermarket one and install if you like, also keep in mind that you can install it yourself as others have done here at TW. I myself took it to the dealer paid 780 for install and reflash so not to bad to know it was done right. If you do it yourself you will still need to take it to toyota for a ecu reflash that is 100.

It will be no VETTE but one hell of a truck especially for towing, I have found that towing is so much easier and the engine doesnt have to work as hard, also fuel will stay the same or increase by 1-2 MPG i driven at "normal" operating speeds.

So thats my 2 cents congrats on thinking about getting one and feel free to ask any Q's

Also you should have no problem running it with the stock intake and exhaust the SC was made to run with the stock airbox and exhaust I just like the way mine runs with aftermarket parts

PvilleJohn likes this.
  3. Apr 16, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I don't have a TRD blower- but I have S/C experience on another truck.
    1) It will be more or less the same UNLESS yu change your driving habits (Rabbit starts, hard accels, etc). Lots of folks like to "hear" the blower so they work the engine and blower a bit harder.

2), 3), 4) No idea

5) You can custom make a panel to put nearly anywhere you have space for a boost gauge. A pillar gauge pods work well too.

6) Nope-But you'll get more out of your set up with the right intake/exhaust parts and a good tune.

7) It prevents pre-detonation. Higher compression makes for more heat and will cause the charge air/fuel to ignite prior to the proper timing slot. That is bad. Higher octane resists compression detonation.

8) Probably not like your Vette...but it'll be better then it is now. Totally worth it. I have a house, a wife, and a kid...so my play $ takes longer to save...but I would put a TRD blower in my truck in a heartbeat...

4. Apr 16, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    earnesje

earnesje Active Member

Member:
    Jacksonville Fla
    Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan Frontier King Cab SV V6 6SPD MAN
    That's about what i paid for mine, they say to run premium fuel because the engine may be damaged if you don't. The gas milege is not too bad, that is if you don't put the pedal to the metal all of the time. Also you can intake, headers, exhaust with no problem. You can also put smaller pullies on the supercharger to increase the boost and you should also get gauges to moniter a/f ratios and boost. As for the noise the supercharger puts out, i like it.

5. Apr 16, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    Ez2typethis

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sport
    Suspension -LSK Uniball Uper Control Arms -LSK Uniball Lower Control Arms -Camburg Performance Spindles -ECGS Needle Bearing Installed -Archive Garage Hammer Hangers -Archive Garage 3.6” Shackles -Archive Garage Hanger Cross Tube -Icon 2.5 CDC Extended Travel Coilovers -Icon 14" 700 pound coils -Icon 2.5 CDC RXT Shocks -Icon 2.0 Hydraulic Bump Stops *Bolt On Bump Stop Mount -Wheelers Front Super Bumps Armor -At The Helm Front Bumper -At The Helm Rear Bumper -At The Helm Rear Swing Out -RCI Sliders -RCI Engine Skid Plate -RCI Transfer Case Skid Plate -RCI Transmission Skid Plate -RCI Fuel Tank Skid Plate -Prinsu Designs Top Rack -Prinsu Designs Cab Rack Lights -Black Head Light Mod -OEM TRD Pro Tail Lights -MESO LED Turn Signals -Morimoto HID Headlight Kit -Caliraised LED 40” Slimline -Caliraised LED 20” Slimline -Caliraised LED Amber Pods -Caliraised LED Wide Ditch Lights -Caliraised LED Flush Mount Pods -LED High Beams -LED Dome Lights -LED Back-Up Lights -LED License Plate Lights Miscellaneous -OVtuned2.0 -4.88 gears -ARB twin comp -ARB rear locker -Leer 100XQ Camper Shell -Smitty Built X20 Winch -Warn Fairlead -Warn Sidewinder -Roto Pax 4.5 Gallon Gasoline -Roto Pax 2 Gallon Water -Roto Pax 2 Gallon Gasoline -Weathertech Floor Liners -Double limo tinted -50% tinted windshield -Leather Seats - Installed At Dealer Wheels and Tires -Matte Black Stealth Custom Series Ray 10's (X5) -BFG KO2 285x70r17 // Load Range C (X5)

How many miles have you put on your truck since getting the SC installed? one of the major deciding factors for me is if i am going to have issues years down the road. I plan to have the dealership in town order the parts for me and do all the installation

Thanks for all your help!

6. Apr 16, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    toytaco1

toytaco1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jed
    moreno valley
    Vehicle:
    05 supercharged trd off road
    trd supercharger, TRD intake, magna flow exhaust, JBA headers, walker evans front, fox rear, leaf pack, drilled slotted rotors, All Pro Front Bumper, Warn 8000 Winch
    I had about 50000 miles when I got the SC installed and Im sitting at almost 70000 miles, its been over a year now and havnt had any issues at all, besides the belt that I just replaced which was like 18 bucks. I havnt heard about any issues either there are a lot of people here that have 100+ thousand miles with the SC and havnt read about any problems.
    I say do it!!!!!!

7. Apr 17, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    Ez2typethis

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sport

thanks!

8. Jan 30, 2018 at 11:49 PM
    20somethingwidataco

20somethingwidataco Yes, my avatar is a real car.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    I heard that they dont make trd superchargers for my truck? I have an '08 TRD sport, 6 speed. I can't find a TRD s/c for my truck

PapaBear likes this.
  9. Jan 31, 2018 at 12:01 AM
    PapaBear

PapaBear Never test how deep the water is with both feet.

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB PR 4.0... Aaaand she’s GONE
    Soft Suspension Hard Rubber ®
    Nice thread revival of almost 7 years:thumbsup:
    Yes they did make it for your truck, specifically for the 1GR which is used in both your manual and auto tacos. TRD SC are discontinued for now but some are still brand new and still being sold on the market, you'll just be paying top dollar for it now. I would start reading here

jojotoo, Brice and scottalot like this.
  10. Jan 31, 2018 at 12:21 AM
    20somethingwidataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    Jesus Wow, didn't notice that. Hmmm I'll have to save for it forsure! Thanks!!

PapaBear[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jan 31, 2018 at 12:27 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    You can get them from Magnuson, which I believe was the company that produced them for Toyota before the TRD branded sc's were discontinued by Toyota:

https://www.lceperformance.com/Supercharger-Assembly-4-0L-1GR-FE-p/7015240.htm

12. Jan 31, 2018 at 12:27 AM
    20somethingwidataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
  13. Jan 31, 2018 at 12:28 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Yep - it'll work with any intake.

14. Jan 31, 2018 at 10:44 AM
    findingthingsout

findingthingsout Well-Known Member

Member:
    midwest
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD O/R A.C. MT
    Boost, armor, lights, big tires, no savings.
    We do not recommend the K n N intake. Design reasons and the use of a oiled filter with a MAF based system is a recipe for... annoying problems.
    Either revert back to stock; which is a CAI. Or use the AFE with a pro dry filter.

15. Jan 31, 2018 at 12:08 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Yeah my bad - I meant an air tube is an air tube - does the job just the same, but I wouldn't use an oiled filter regardless of having a supercharger and go with the afe.

16. Feb 2, 2018 at 7:44 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Oiled for MAP systems. Dry for MAF systems.

loginfailed and Brice like this.
  17. Feb 5, 2018 at 7:15 AM
    jedirye

jedirye Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    Had my SC installed since truck had about 700 miles; have 65,000 now.

No problems. Did replace belt @ 30k though. Having it on makes spark plugs changes that much harder. Upgrade spark plugs with SC, iridium IK22s...

18. Feb 5, 2018 at 7:39 AM
    TACOVRD

TACOVRD I Identify As A Prius

Member:
    First Name:
    TW Addict
    AZ/WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP - Formerly 2013 DCSB OR Spruce Mica
    Workin' on it....
    Interesting thread. I’m torn because I’d love to have the extra hp but then I think if I’m out in the middle of nowhere sometimes it can be a challenge to find premium at some these little gas stations.

19. Feb 5, 2018 at 7:55 AM
    jedirye

jedirye Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    During the hurricane premium was out, along with almost all 85 too. You can always carry a bottle of octane booster for emergencies... I ran 85 for a tank. It was fine...

Dalandser likes this.
  20. Feb 5, 2018 at 8:54 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Methanol...