1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd GEN supercharger drivers wanted

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Ez2typethis, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Apr 16, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    Ez2typethis

Ez2typethis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Maria, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD sport 4x4 TRD S/C, TRD Cat back
    My 2010 4x4 TRD sport: Bilstein 5100's in the front set at 1.5" to level, TRD Supercharger, TRD Cat back, TRS retrofit, Satoshi grill, Redlinetuning hood struts, Socked ***SOLD***
    New here, but I heart Tacoma's so that makes us friends right? Well here's my deal; I want a supercharger for my 2010 V6 4x4 DC taco. I have the loot and the dealership is waiting for my okay to overnight the parts and start the labor. I just need some basic questions answered about the general driving of the truck once it is supercharged. so I guess i'll start my 20 Q's

(not quite 20)

1. How the the gas mileage affected for city and highway driving?

2. Is there an excessive interior noise from the super charger?

3. Is $4812 out the door too much? if so where casn i get the SC plus instal kit for less than $3879

4. how reliable is the SC on the 4.0L? a 100k miles from now am i going to run into any issues?

5. Does the kit come with a boost gauge? if so where do the install that?

6. Is it an issue to run the SC with the stock exhaust?

7. I know i have to run premium gas with the SC installed, but why?

8. Will it light the tires with traction control off from a dig?

I guess the biggest question is going to be, does adding the SC add enough HP for your $$$???

It's nice switching from my weekend warrior (08 Vette) back to my truck but i miss the power so much!

ANY help is much appreciated and will be taken into thought, if i decide to go through with this. thanks!

Kurt

2. Apr 16, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    toytaco1

toytaco1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jed
    moreno valley
    Vehicle:
    05 supercharged trd off road
    trd supercharger, TRD intake, magna flow exhaust, JBA headers, walker evans front, fox rear, leaf pack, drilled slotted rotors, All Pro Front Bumper, Warn 8000 Winch
    I will give you some of my thoughts on my own TRD supercharger.
    I purchased mine from trd parts 4 u and I paid 3400 for the supercharger and the install kit was an extra 400 I believe.

There is a wine from the supercharger that I think is pretty awesome but not too overwelming, and people always give you a look like what does he have under the hood.

Im not sure why you have to use premium but I have since day one of buying the truck stock sure it has something to do with the VVTI.

I would say by far the best performance mod for the tacoma driving it is like night and day to be able to accelerate as quickly as it does. The supercharger after it breaks in will get even better as far as acceleration, I have since installed a CAI magnaflow exhaust and JBA shorty headers. I am very pleased with the performance and would def reccomend it for you.

It doesnt come with a boost gauge but you can get an aftermarket one and install if you like, also keep in mind that you can install it yourself as others have done here at TW. I myself took it to the dealer paid 780 for install and reflash so not to bad to know it was done right. If you do it yourself you will still need to take it to toyota for a ecu reflash that is 100.

It will be no VETTE but one hell of a truck especially for towing, I have found that towing is so much easier and the engine doesnt have to work as hard, also fuel will stay the same or increase by 1-2 MPG i driven at "normal" operating speeds.

So thats my 2 cents congrats on thinking about getting one and feel free to ask any Q's

Also you should have no problem running it with the stock intake and exhaust the SC was made to run with the stock airbox and exhaust I just like the way mine runs with aftermarket parts

3. Apr 16, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I don't have a TRD blower- but I have S/C experience on another truck.
    1) It will be more or less the same UNLESS yu change your driving habits (Rabbit starts, hard accels, etc). Lots of folks like to "hear" the blower so they work the engine and blower a bit harder.

2), 3), 4) No idea

5) You can custom make a panel to put nearly anywhere you have space for a boost gauge. A pillar gauge pods work well too.

6) Nope-But you'll get more out of your set up with the right intake/exhaust parts and a good tune.

7) It prevents pre-detonation. Higher compression makes for more heat and will cause the charge air/fuel to ignite prior to the proper timing slot. That is bad. Higher octane resists compression detonation.

8) Probably not like your Vette...but it'll be better then it is now. Totally worth it. I have a house, a wife, and a kid...so my play $ takes longer to save...but I would put a TRD blower in my truck in a heartbeat...

4. Apr 16, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    earnesje

earnesje Active Member

Member:
    Jacksonville Fla
    Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan Frontier King Cab SV V6 6SPD MAN
    That's about what i paid for mine, they say to run premium fuel because the engine may be damaged if you don't. The gas milege is not too bad, that is if you don't put the pedal to the metal all of the time. Also you can intake, headers, exhaust with no problem. You can also put smaller pullies on the supercharger to increase the boost and you should also get gauges to moniter a/f ratios and boost. As for the noise the supercharger puts out, i like it.

5. Apr 16, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    Ez2typethis

Member:
    Santa Maria, CA
    Vehicle:
    My 2010 4x4 TRD sport: Bilstein 5100's in the front set at 1.5" to level, TRD Supercharger, TRD Cat back, TRS retrofit, Satoshi grill, Redlinetuning hood struts, Socked ***SOLD***

How many miles have you put on your truck since getting the SC installed? one of the major deciding factors for me is if i am going to have issues years down the road. I plan to have the dealership in town order the parts for me and do all the installation

Thanks for all your help!

6. Apr 16, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    toytaco1

toytaco1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jed
    moreno valley
    Vehicle:
    05 supercharged trd off road
    trd supercharger, TRD intake, magna flow exhaust, JBA headers, walker evans front, fox rear, leaf pack, drilled slotted rotors, All Pro Front Bumper, Warn 8000 Winch
    I had about 50000 miles when I got the SC installed and Im sitting at almost 70000 miles, its been over a year now and havnt had any issues at all, besides the belt that I just replaced which was like 18 bucks. I havnt heard about any issues either there are a lot of people here that have 100+ thousand miles with the SC and havnt read about any problems.
    I say do it!!!!!!

7. Apr 17, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    Ez2typethis

Member:
    Santa Maria, CA
    Vehicle:

thanks!

To Top