1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen Tacoma electrical system upgrade is now available!!

Discussion in 'Marion Bumper2Bumper' started by BamaToy1997, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Mar 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 [OP] ASE Master Tech Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    Multi-point tow hooks, new bored 2.7L engine, custom paint. 3 inch adjustable Fabtech front coils, 2.5 inch rear AAL. Front Aussie locker. LED bed lights. Full LED conversion interior and exterior. Relentless Fabrication front and rear bumpers. 4X4innovation sliders. BAMF bed rack. CVT rooftop tent.
    Well it took me a while to get everything sorted out, and to be sure that the system will work as designed, but now we have it! The 2nd Gen Tacoma Electrical System Stage Kit has started!

As of right now, we only have the Stage 1 Kits available, as I am still getting the alternator supplier locked into what I need. Today's 2nd gen Tacoma trucks with the off-road package already have a 130A alternator, which will perform just fine with the average demands of our Tacoma line. We will however be offering both a 200A and a 250A alternator for those who are running extreme loads from winches and high-power stereo systems who are looking for a FACTORY look under the hood, while still having the performance level of the super alternators.

So here is what the Stage 1 Kit comes with:

• High quality battery terminals with built-in voltage gauge for "at-a-glance" reading of your battery status.
    • Heavy-duty 2 gauge primary cables for starter and vehicle grounds using welding cable with over 2000 strands of copper.
    • Heavy-duty 4 gauge alternator cable, and vehicle power cable made of the same welding cable style, with over 1000 strands of copper.
    • Heavy-duty 4 gauge power point draw with 130A fuse
    • Performance Stereo 8 gauge wire for body ground
    • Instructions on installation
    The upcoming Stage 2 Kit will come with everything found in the Stage 1 Kit, with the addition of either a 130A alternator for those vehicles not having the Off-road package from the factory, or the 200A or 250A alternators for those wishing for extreme power output!

Just like the 1st gen Kits, each 2nd gen Kit is custom made to order, so please factor in up to 2 weeks to build your individual kit, and have them shipped to you. Starting price for the Stage 1 Basic Kit will be $120 plus $11 shipping. This includes shipping to anywhere in the 50 US states, including of course Hawaii and Alaska! Shipping is available to Canada, but you will need to contact me on shipping rates. Custom Kits are available on request, and pricing will vary depending on requirements.

Stage 2 Kits now ready to build!

I just got a reply back from the supplier. Looks like the 200A units will be $265 plus shipping, and the 250A units will be $320 plus shipping. If bought as a Stage 2 Kit, that means the total would be $385 plus $15 shipping for the 200A and $445 plus $15 shipping for the 250A unit.

*The Stage 2 kit with 250A alternator will come with 2 gauge alternator cabling.

We now also have Stage 4, Twin Battery Kits and Stage 5, Expedition Ready Kits available. Read through the thread or contact me for details.

PLEASE NOTE that the listed prices are for the BASIC Stage 1/Stage 2 Kits. Additional length cables, or additional power points will increase this cost so PLEASE be specific when ordering. Thank you.

Feel free to post any questions you have! Thanks!

Please note that I nor my company assume any liability for adding higher-than-factory rated components to your truck. By purchasing these Kits you are accepting all liability on your own.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. Mar 4, 2014 at 11:35 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Good idea!

3. Mar 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM
    cpeterson24

cpeterson24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport MGM
    Billies all around, 885's up front, 1.5" AAL in the rear ,Pro Comp 7032's wrapped in BFG AT 265/75/16, Locking rear cargo bins, interior LED's, Volant CAI with ram skewp, 5% back windows 20% tint up front, ImMrYo rear-view mirror mount, flowmaster 40 cut after axle drop, 886 reverse light mod, blacked out emblems, Grill Craft MX mesh upper and lower, UltraGauge, 10" JL sub behind drivers side rear seat
    correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the sport model with towing package also comes with the 130A alternator?

4. Mar 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM
    tacomacrazy

tacomacrazy ExPo Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Coral Gables, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Offroad
    HIDs 10k & 3k, AFE Intake, LEDs Red Map & dome, Pioneer 4300 Walker Evan 2.5 coilover 2.0 rear with all pro expo leaf pack. SnugTop Campershell Famous Fab rear bumper/ tire carrier
    might be a silly question but can you provide some examples on what equpiment will require a 200 or 250. im on the fence of which one to go with.

ie. if youre running a winch, cb, and 2-6 extra off road lights would you recommend the 200 or 250?

thanks

5. Mar 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Did you get your precious photos ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

I believe all the trucks with the towing package have the heavier alternator as do all the Canadian 6 lugs IIRC

6. Mar 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Multi-point tow hooks, new bored 2.7L engine, custom paint. 3 inch adjustable Fabtech front coils, 2.5 inch rear AAL. Front Aussie locker. LED bed lights. Full LED conversion interior and exterior. Relentless Fabrication front and rear bumpers. 4X4innovation sliders. BAMF bed rack. CVT rooftop tent.
    Yes, I believe you are correct that those with towing package do have the larger, 130 amp alternators.

The factory 130A alternator puts out 130A at approximately 3000 RPM at the shaft. This equates to around 1400-1500 engine RPMs. At idle the stock alternator is only capable of around 60-70 amps. The 200A units are capable of putting out 100+amps at engine idle speed. Comparing the two you get this:
    Stock alternator output at idle approx 60-70 amps
    My 200A alternator output at idle approx 100-105 amps

So if you are running aftermarket amps equal to or above 800W of power, then at idle, with the bass turned up, you may be drawing more power than your stock alternator can provide. This equates to sound quality degradation, as well as "flickering" of the headlights when at a stop light and RPMs are only around 700.

I would recommend calculating out your total estimated load, and then decide on if you want to keep your stock alternator, or upgrade it.

7. Mar 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    curious about the 250A alternator price. already have the other items :popcorn:

8. Mar 4, 2014 at 12:10 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD/SR5 4x4
    Suspension: Front - Bilstein 5100's/Eibach coils Rear - All Pro Expo Leafs/Rear Icon Remote Reservoir Shocks Wheels & Tires: 33x12.50x15 KM2's/Summit Racing 85 Black 8 Series Wheels/15x8/3.75" Backspacing [U]Armor:[/U] - [URL="http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/relentless-fabrication/152694-just-released-re
  9. Mar 4, 2014 at 12:28 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    I just got a reply back from the supplier. Looks like the 200A units will be $265 plus shipping, and the 250A units will be $320 plus shipping. If bought as a Stage 2 Kit, that means the total would be $385 plus $15 shipping for the 200A and $445 plus $15 shipping for the 250A unit.

As long as you are running a minimum of 2 gauge alternator cable you will be good with the 250A unit. the 250A alternator by itself would be $320, plus $15 shipping.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  10. Mar 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Just ordered additional cabling and terminals for building a couple of these!

11. Mar 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM
    dcvt16

dcvt16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ehren
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    MGM long travel 5lug
    Total Chaos 5 lug long travel kit, Fox coilovers. Mcneil fiberglass. Defined engineering sua, 14 in kings, Defined shock hoops rear. Weathertech digital liners and vent visors. Paint match grille and added fogs. 4.56 gears, detriot truetrac LSD (gear type), LCE header
    Who makes the alternators?

12. Mar 4, 2014 at 4:43 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    BnR takes factory alternators and builds them into higher output ones. Most of the high-output alternators built by other companies just replace the stator. This gives you a great high end output, but poor lower end output (idle speed output). BnR replaces both the stator AND the field coil for a truly strong alternator. I have one in my truck and I love it. Ever since I installed it I no longer get headlight flicker when cranking the stereo at idle. I measured the output and at idle I was putting out 80 amps the other day! Most of your other ones like the Mean Green I have been told only puts out 40 amps at idle. I have sold the same alternator to the 1st Gen group with happy customers!

13. Mar 5, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    This is funny. I had a dozen people asking me when I was going to get these kits made, and now that they are out, I haven't heard from any of them! lmao. Oh well. sooner or later.

14. Mar 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco That "grill guy" Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    07' DCSB cut to pieces...
    Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad / Safari Snorkel / Illuminated 4x4 switch / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust Dump / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift
    Just saw the thread.:eek:
    This is on the to-do list after my suspension project. :cool:

15. Mar 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    I know the feeling! I had my suspension lift on before I did this upgrade myself.

16. Mar 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco That "grill guy" Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    07' DCSB cut to pieces...
    Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad / Safari Snorkel / Illuminated 4x4 switch / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust Dump / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift
    I'm just upgrading my existing lift - going from 5100's to fox c/o & other upgrades.:)
    This electrical upgrade is not at the top of the list only because I'm not running anything that the stock system can't handle (for now).
    I've already purchased the bluesea fusebox and breaker with the mount.
    Your kit will complete the necessary components for the upgrade very nicely. :thumbsup:

17. Mar 5, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Cool! I'll be honest, I am not 100% sure WHAT my lift is. When my buddy upgraded HIS lift, I took his old one. lol.

18. Mar 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma I get it, you've seen the movie.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Fairfield, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe AFE Stage II Si ProDry CAI Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners
    Definitely Subbed for future mods :D

19. Mar 5, 2014 at 11:21 AM
    keninsb

keninsb "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I am definitely interested Bama. Any chance that you can post some pics of the kits in their various configurations once you have a few ready? I am definitely going to jump on one, just cannot figure out which one and have to free up some funds.
    Thanks for all your hard work, follow through and updates!
    Ken

20. Mar 5, 2014 at 11:27 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    I will do what I can, but since these are custom built to order, there will still be some variations.

To Top