1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gen Tacoma questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by stonefly, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Mar 31, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    stonefly

stonefly [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello, new member here.
    I have a few questions I'm hoping some folks here can help an old geezer
    out with. I currently drive a Silverado Z71(fully paid off for years) and
    enjoy not making payments on it. It has also been a great truck for me
    but I am thinking of downsizing to a Tacoma 4cylinder truck. I would like
    to get one with automatic transmission and the extended cab. I don't need
    all the bells and whistles. In a few years I will be retiring(hopefully) and
    the price of gas now has me thinking it wont be getting any cheaper so I am looking for something that can possibly give me better gas mileage than my
    Chevy. I drive from Southwest Michigan to O'hare airport to work and back
    once a week.It's a 240 mile round trip.Lately I have been getting around
    22.5 to 23.0 MPG on these trips never going over 55MPH. During the 3and 1/2
    days I spend in Illinois I travel about 60 miles going back and forth between the
    airport from the apartment my wife and I share while we are in town.
    In the spring and summer I usually make a week long trip once a month
    to Lake county Michigan where I keep my Drift boat and tow it every day
    to the different boat landings on the Pere Marquette river, the boat and trailer together weigh less than 700 lbs and the mileage during these trips
    along the river is maybe 60 to a 100 for the week. Is it practical for me to think that a 4 cylinder Tacoma can save me money, I would like to get a target MPG of 25 to 30 ,if this is possible. Please excuse the typing errors
    here,I am currently without good adult supervision while I type this.Oh and
    thank you in advance for any info and insights you may have for me.

2. Mar 31, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    prius

but Welcome to TW!

3. Mar 31, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    RedDragonTaco

RedDragonTaco Knight Industies Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    Slc, UT
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Toytec 3" Ultimate w/ LR UCA's, 18" Rockstar rims, Nitto Grappler 285/65/18, OEM roof rack, foglight anytime mod, front bull bar and Smitty side steps, tonneau cover, debadged, BHLM, blacked out tail lights, stubby antenna, flowmaster
    I think it would save you some money, but wouldnt that money you would be saving be going toward a truck payment?

4. Mar 31, 2012 at 11:19 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Welcome to the club. I can't say for the mpg on the 4 banger. Are you talking about a pre-runner, 4x4, or a standard "5 lugger" p/u? Either way I don't see you getting that great of mpg's. But I have a V6 4x4 DC. Maybe you will get better insight from some with the same truck you're considering.

5. Mar 31, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    Greetings from a fellow geezer. A few weeks go I bought a '09 4 banger access cab 4x4 with the 2.7 l engine and manual transmission. The mileage calculated for one tank of gas was about 28.5 mpg, but thel others have been about 22-24. I think there might have been a malfunction in a gas pump that made the one look so good. From what I have experienced and seen on this site I doubt that you will get much better mileage than your Chevy. You will gain significantly in the reliability and status departments, though. :)

6. Mar 31, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    wtxbadger

wtxbadger Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Here is a quote from an email from a friend of mine. He is fairly conservative in his driving habits, has been retired for several years now, and has owned several Toyota pickups.

"I bought another 2011. This is my third little Toyota pickup since 1989, and I’ve had no trouble to speak of other than a few odds and ends (such as light bulbs, etc). I might have opted for the six-cylinder this time, but noticed that they are higher off the ground and a little more trouble to get into for a short old guy like me. Mine is a 2WD, AT, 2.7 L. It’s the access cab rather than a 4 door. If I drive very conservatively, I can get 22 in town and 28 on highway at 55 mph."

Hope this helps you in your consideration of a Tacoma for your next pickup.

wtxbadger

7. Mar 31, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Yes and no.

A V6 Tacoma is going to use no less gas than the Silverado. The 4 banger will be better holding it at 55.

The Prius comes into it's own around town in stop and go traffic.
    Without the use of regenerative braking, it's simply a Camry-sized car with a big assed battery and hybrid power system that isn't doing anything on the highway.

UPS, Coca Cola, and a lot of other companies are moving to hybrid trucks for local delivery, but OTR will remain conventional IC.

I have an '08 RC base (5 lug) 2wd and I'm getting between 24 and 26. That's a 90 mile daily commute... 70-80mph in the morning, balanced by 10-40mph in the afternoon.

8. Mar 31, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    I beg to differ........i traded my Silverado Z71 for my tacoma and I'm saving $60/month in gas

9. Mar 31, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    He's getting 22-23 in his.

That's getting into 2.7 territory for the Tacoma.
    My buddy has an '08 Silverado and it's highway mileage is phenomenal because it starts shutting down cylinders when not needed.

10. Apr 1, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    I had an '08 silverado crew cab 4x4 and it had Active Fuel Management, which is where it will cut off 4 cylinders to save fuel. It worked great if
    u were driving on a flat surface or going down hill. Unfortunately where I live in the foothills there isn't much flat land so it was constantly switching back and forth. The best i got was 21mpg and that was a 700 mile round trip that i made. I usually got 18mpg, which isn't bad for a full size truck. The 2008 models have 4spd auto's and the newer ones have 6spd auto's so im sure that helps. I'm getting close to 20mpg in my taco and its a heck of alot cheaper to fill up, so for me i'm saving money.

11. Apr 1, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    He is in Michigan. I doubt he will want a prerunner
    That is dayum good mileage on the silverado.
    I'd stick with what you got or find a nice used 4 door civic.
    35 mpg & run forever.

12. Apr 1, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    jbrenn

jbrenn Well-Known Member

Member:
    allen texas
    Vehicle:
    10 sr5
    I have a 2wd 2.7l auto i get about 21 mpgs but that is at 70. i have gotten over 25 that was a tank at about 60. I just dont think you will say enough to justify the payment.

13. Apr 1, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    I've gotten 22mpg in my 6cyl when I followed a school bus to Lansing for my sons school trip, so I'd imagine you'll be that with a 4banger, with that I'd tend to agree that if your silverado is getting that good of fuel mileage, and you don't need it on your Chicago adventures, just for when you take your boat places, then get yourself a little Honda Civic or similar roller skate and take that to Chicago.

Good Luck and Welcome.

14. Apr 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    I have a 4 cylinder 4x4 with a manual, and unless you get a 5 lugger you probably wont see over 24, I average around 21 most of the time, mixed highway and city. Happy hunting!

15. Apr 4, 2012 at 5:19 AM
    Backroadbomber

Backroadbomber Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Hamburg, New York
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4wd 5sp Base
    I have a 2011 4 banger 4x4 5sp and I can only get 24 mpg max. You'll prbably get less with an auto. To be honest, as long as your Chevy isnt having problems you should just keep that. $400 a month payment isn't worth the extra 1mpg.

Products Discussed in

To Top