1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen. Tacoma Rust

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by longo09, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Nov 28, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    longo09

longo09 [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Magnetic Gray Limited
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and would like some advice on how to handle a rust issue with my 09 Tacoma. The pictures I posted show what is described by the dealer as "Surface Rust" on the rear end of the vehicle as well as the frame. Is this normal for a vehicle with 20,000 miles on it ? If so, will this "Surface Rust" eventually spread and become worse ? Not sure what to do from here, but my concern is that it will spread and become a safety issue. Thanks

074.jpg
    070.jpg
    068.jpg
    071.jpg

2. Nov 28, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    i would consider that normal if you live in the salt belt...

as for treating it... wire brush and por-15 or chassis saver is your friend

3. Nov 28, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Doesn't look that bad really at all. I seen a lot worst.
    I would get it rusted proofed though.

4. Nov 28, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    por15 and/or "chassis saver" is the undercoating the pros use. you can brush it on and it will give you a more complete coverage then the spray the pros use. plus, you buy a can of the stuff and you can maintain it from year to year... and its alot cheaper than having it done...

5. Nov 28, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    UNDERCOAT !!!
    I'd be more concerned about that wet spot on the diff housing then I would the rust:):)

6. Nov 28, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    I would wait a few years before I report it to Toyota. They will buy your truck back and then you can use that money to get a new Tacoma.

7. Nov 28, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    x2 just rattle can it.

8. Nov 28, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    Jeff3004x4

Jeff3004x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    East Killingly CT
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica
    Stock for now
    Rust?.....that's nothing, come look at the vehicles driving around in New England where they use pure salt on the roads in the winter. I sprayed my old 03 Dakota with "rust converter" twice, it did fine. I would just treat it a few times while you own it to avoid any problems. My truck is a 2010 with 7K miles on it. I drive down dirt roads, I take it in the woods to get fire wood, at the end of the winter it will have rust similar to yours, it will still last me 10 years or more. I had a 1988 Toyota Pickup, the frame was completely covered in rust, I sold it 6 years ago, the truck is still driving down the road today. Your truck is fine just drive it.

9. Nov 28, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    Black Sheep

Black Sheep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Dbl Cab TRD T/X Pro
    6" Pro Comp Suspension lift with Pro Comp leveling kit, Bilstein 5100's, Full leather interior with seat heaters, Go Rhino step bars, Sony XNV-770BT Head Unit with NAV, DVD, XM and Blutooth, Tonopro toneau cover, Tinted windows, Black mesh grille, Projector headlights with HID lows, HID fogs, Crystal Eyes rear LED taillights, Weathertech mats front and rear
    This is why I had the dealer throw in the rustproofing and undercoating package. I live here in Western Pennsylvania and the salt is abundant on the roads in the winter.

10. Nov 28, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    jcayce

jcayce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    It is NOT normal for most cars, normal for these Tacomas. I only purchase new cars and have never had one begin to rust as quick as my Tacoma. I have lived in the midwest, the east and west coasts, and now the south. When I was growing up in Iowa I had a 1986 Bronco that developed the typical rust through on the rear quarters and tailgate but that frame with 150,000 miles looked better than yours.

At this point paint and rubberized undercoatings will cover up the rust and let it breed undetected. Even Por-15 has its limitations. It makes it look good on the outside but you know what is happening underneath.

Waxoyl, used oil, or lintseed oil are your new best friends now. Notice that all of these products have "oil/oyl" in their descriptions.

The real dissapointment is the condition that one to two year old shock is in. Bilstein should be ashamed.

Have you taken any trips outside of Texas or have been down to the coast?

11. Nov 28, 2010 at 2:39 PM
    TacoBow

TacoBow Intentionally cosmetically correct.

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Quad LB
    Tis true... welcome to PA. One of the few things I don't like about the state, but having grown up here know all the woes that the PA DOT calcium causes to motor vehicles. Not to mention the methods we need to employ when working on them as a result of said salt... try taking things apart without a torch and and you'll be fortunate not to snap fasteners off more times than not.

The por15 is a good choice regardless of where you drive, but, not to flame the undercoating crowd, using the all too common Rubberized undercoating spray on your vehicle is NOT a good idea in the northern salt belt region.

Sure, the material looks good going on, but check it often... small fractures in the material creates a "pocket" that will allow dirt, moisture and of course road salt to lay against your frame and undercarriage. This will reek havoc on steel parts in short order, as seen all too often working as a PA State Inspection mechanic in the late 80's. Something for those to think about that live / drive in the northland.

Oh and to the OP... that surface rust in your uploads is rather normal by most vehicles on the road today.

jcayce - We must have been typing around the same time... why couldn't you have posted sooner, so I would not have had to. :) Good advice there bud.

12. Nov 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM
    longo09

longo09 [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    I have not had the truck outside of Texas. The original owner did spend a few months in Kansas. The truck has not been to coast, yet.

13. Nov 28, 2010 at 3:16 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    all it takes is one snow storm in ny to do that to your truck... maybe there was an ice storm in kansas when he went?

either way, since you dont live in the salt belt, get yerself a can or two of satin rustoleum and touch it up, youll be fine

14. Nov 28, 2010 at 5:08 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I'll trade you , my truck looked like that about a month into it's first winter .

15. Nov 28, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Thats just surface rust man! A wire brush would clean that right off. I was told when i bought my truck that toyota would void your warranty if you had it undercoated. They are already rustproofed from the factory. If your worried about it just buy a wire brush and some por like somebody else said and keep it cleaned off. I personally have the same type of rust and i dont worry about it. It's simply cosmetic.

16. Nov 28, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    krans

krans Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Huntington beach/ West min duh
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport mall crawler
    Icon extended travel with resi front and rear,Camburg UCA, All pro standard leaf pack, Fogs anytime, General grabbers AT2,Custom stainless steel brake lines,bed box, Bestop soft top,50' light bar, amber rigid pods,CBI ditch mounts with LED pods,TRD intake,Anti dark hoodlights/rock light/LED whip,FX-R retros and Gibson catback..more mods to come
    The rust on the shock doesn't look normal to me.. Did you happen to buy your truck Used?

17. Nov 29, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    longo09

longo09 [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Yes, I bought the truck used. Other than the rust, it's like brand new.

Products Discussed in

To Top