1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen Tips, Mods & More

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tcBob, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Aug 18, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    sublimetaco

sublimetaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    can you add the 6" lift thread and the show off your front end thread? i cant find either one for some reason

2. Sep 14, 2011 at 4:23 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Yes & it depends............

3. Sep 28, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  4. Sep 29, 2011 at 12:20 AM
    TurnTheLead

TurnTheLead Active Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5 4x2 2.7
    Rubber bed mat, Tuff Tonno cover.
    My Requirements / Goals for this Mod:
    a cheaper truck box that would be: waterproof, cheap, and easy to remove in case I needed the bed space.
    I also wanted something that could fit under a tonneau cover, and so it had to be less than 18" tall.

Here's it is, my first mod:

Tools Needed:
    Electric Drill
    5/9" drill bit
    socket wrench

Buy List (All purchased at Lowes):
    Lockable, Heavy Duty Plastic tool box -$30
    2 2" wide U-bolts $1.87 each
    8 nuts for the U-bolts - $.09 each
    4 washers for the U-bolts - $ .09 each
    2 washer plates (regular washers can substitute) (came with U-bolts)
    4' wire rope, double looped - $5
    Masterlock key lock, part of package of 4 - $4 each lock

Steps:
    1. Drill 2 holes conforming to the dimensions of your U-bolt somewhere on the back or side of the box. In this photo, I show the rear left holes drilled:
    [​IMG]

Here is a closer image of the holes drilled:
    [​IMG]

An image of the U-bolt, available at any hardware store:
    [​IMG]

2. Place the U-bolt in the holes with 2 nuts screwed on all the way up:
    [​IMG]

3. Place the flat washer on the inside. This adds strength and prevents leaks:
    [​IMG]

4. Add on the remaining nuts, inside the box, to secure the U-bolt:
    [​IMG]

5. Loop the wire rope around one of your tie-downs and through one of the U-bolts:
    [​IMG]

6. Use a bungee cord or rope to secure the other side, and prevent the box from sliding around:
    [​IMG]

Mine has chains, an emergency roadside kit, ratchets, oil, etc in it and has not slid around at all on my composite bed. Enjoy!

Brad68, Joshthebarber and Arkie-Marty like this.
  5. Sep 29, 2011 at 5:01 AM
    Trachito

Trachito Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    nice. i've thought about something like that but I need the space for my motorcycle.

6. Oct 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    DBZ

DBZ Hunter-Gatherer

Member:
    South Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner TRD Off Road
    Fog lights anytime, DIY shorty antenna, carpet lined storage bins, debadged, tailgate hoseclamp, DIY washable cabin filter, AFe Pro-Dry air filter, Protecta bed mat
    Where did you get the tie-downs for your truck? Are those new on the 2012s?

7. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    RecklessTaco

RecklessTaco Livin the Dream

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Topaz Lake, Nv.
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab Prerunner TRD Sport Debadged
    ENGAGE LT KIT, King 2.5x 8" coilovers w/600lb 18"coil springs, a custom built leaf pack in the rear by OMD, and a custom built prerunner bumper by SurfInferno. 35x12.50-17General Grabbers on 17x9 Black MB Wheels rims, Volant CAI w/Amsoil dry filter, Volant Ram Air, Poweraid Throttle body spacer, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster40, Uniden Bearcat cb w/ 4' fire fly firestick antenna, & a Icom V80 Handheld(Modded for race channels)
    Im pretty sure those can be bought at any hardware store! He just added them himself! Not factory!

8. Oct 5, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Yes they are for the 2012.

Frank

9. Oct 6, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    vtmactech

vtmactech Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '11 Reg Cab 4cyl 4x4 MGM
    They come in the 2012's but look ghetto. Do the D-ring mod and secure to to one or both of them.

atokarev130 likes this.
  10. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    TurnTheLead

TurnTheLead Active Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5 4x2 2.7
    Rubber bed mat, Tuff Tonno cover.
    Those are stock, they came with my 2012.

11. Oct 11, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    madeinalaska

madeinalaska Active Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD TX
    TRD Short Throw Shifter, Wet Okoles, 5%
    What about a short throw shifter how to?

If I would have thought about it...I would have photo-documented my installation.

Took 45 minutes and was a piece of cake. The difference in shifter travel is ridiculous and MUCH more fun to drive. Reverse is a bit of a bitch, though.

12. Oct 11, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    Hayes

Hayes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular Cab Tacoma 4x4
    What's wrong with reverse?

13. Oct 12, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    madeinalaska

madeinalaska Active Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD TX
    TRD Short Throw Shifter, Wet Okoles, 5%
    It's much more difficult to shift into reverse. Due to the decrease in leverage, it takes a bit more pressure to get it to pop in to the reverse gear.

This was probably a little more frustrating for me then most because I wrecked my right shoulder on an ATV earlier this summer.

But don't let that discourage you....much better than the stock shifter.
    Buy the TRD kit, though. Never had a problem after installation. I've read lots of reviews (and gripes on here) about other shifter kits having binding up issues or misalignment. Glad I went the more expensive, higher quality route.
    And I'll install a short thrown in every car I own now that I know.

14. Nov 17, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    jayr

jayr Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    MA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Sport 4x4
    Sub'd

15. Dec 16, 2011 at 4:54 AM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not a full How-To, but here is my experience installing the URD short shifter. The instructions that came with the URD kit were spot on and were all I needed. It's been on for the last 20k miles with no problems. Easy decision to spend $99 to get rid of the horrible "RPM Hang"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Dec 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    Trachito

Trachito Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    What's this, you beat it out with a jack stand? i couldn't get my shifter off so i ended up improvising with the particular mod i was doing by working around the shifter at this point.

17. Dec 17, 2011 at 4:09 AM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah, there is sealant that holds the shifter down and it needs to be "beaten" off and then resealed during re-install.

18. Jan 4, 2012 at 11:05 PM
    Bengland25

Bengland25 Never Forget! 343

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    Hey guys, cant remember if the DIY for the arm rest is on here! but if its not, here is the one i wrote up today!

Hey guys and gals of TW. Figured I would give you guys a little DIY in addition to all the others on here on how to do the arm rest mod. Took all the advice from everyone on here and made it my own. This is my first write-up, let me know if you need anything else or if I wrote too much! Here it goes!

First, I followed Raid's advice on removing the door panels. Simply unscrewed the screw under the door handle and the one below the other handle on the door. I also popped the push pin out by pushing in the center of it and then pulling it out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remove the small triangular panel towards the front of the door against the window by pulling it away from the door. It should come off fairly easy!!

[​IMG]

After the panel was unfastened, I started to pry it off of the door. I recommend starting at the bottom and working your way up on both sides. Once you have successfully pried all the panel away from the door, simply lift upwards. Do not pull the panel away because you need to unclip the electrical controls for the windows and door locks. Unplug them, and there you go! the door panel is FREE!

[​IMG]

I set my door panel on a towel so it didn't get scratched.

Unscrew this small screw that is holding the arm rest to the door panel.

[​IMG]

Next i used a 7/32 drill bit to put holes through the center on the plastic melt-points that are securing the arm rest to the door panel. Do not drill any deeper then 3/16, if you drill too deep, you'll end up with a hole in the panel. TAKE YOUR TIME! (I did this so that the #10 - 1/2" sheet metal screws can be countersinked in so they will not split the plastic.)

[​IMG]

I then cut the the melt-points off of the arm rest with a razor blade. I did this so I wouldn't have to pry the arm rest away from the rest of the panel (I didn't want to break it!).

[​IMG]

Once the arm rest was removed, I peeled off the existing material and used that piece to measure and make my pieces that I will use.

I bought some 1/8" thick padding from Joannes fabrics that iron's onto other materials. (spoke with some older people there that actually re-did their upholstery in their cars back in the day and said this stuff works amazing and holds up well!).

[​IMG]

I cut out both arm rests on the padding and then used those as a template to cut out the real tree camo I got from Joannes. I cut it slightly bigger so it would tuck into the frame of the panel well. I then ironed the padding to my fabric.

[​IMG]

Make sure you clean the arm rest plastic to get all of the existing adhesive off. I used gasoline :D

[​IMG]

Spray the plastic arm rest with the 3M 90 spray adhesive and let it set for a little until it becomes tacky. Start on one side of the arm rest and slowly apply the fabric and work out all of the folds.

[​IMG]

Once it is adhered to the arm rest, I used contact cement to glue the outer edges so it will hold and I wont ever have to worry about the fabric coming off.

[​IMG]

Place the arm rest back on the panel and screw it back together using #10 - 1/2" sheet metal screws and small #10 washers. Do not over tighten them because it will strip the plastic.

[​IMG]

Re-install the door panel and make sure to plug in all the electrical wires.

Once your done with that, your all done! Sit back with a beer and enjoy your handy work!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Squirt, 4x4cajun, K3PPY and 3 others like this.
  19. Jan 5, 2012 at 1:24 PM
    Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Ext cab TRD OffRoad V6 auto 4x4
    Great write up! Thanks for the easy step instructions.

20. Jan 5, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    Bengland25

Bengland25 Never Forget! 343

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    No problem, glad to help out others!

Products Discussed in

To Top