1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen Wheel Fit Guide...?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Goose, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    Goose

Goose [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Blaine, MN
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport LB
    Readylift SST 3" lift
    I’m not going to start this off with asking “will this wheel fit my truck”. I have been scouring the forums for a few weeks now trying to find definitive answers to the question. It would be great if you could post the details about your success stories when it comes to finding the right wheel that fits. There are obviously a million pictures of various wheels on our trucks, but there always seems to be some critical details missing around the fit.

It would be great if you could post what you have found to work and the details around getting it to fit.

1. What is your truck? Year
    2. CRITICAL: Standard, TRD Sport or Off Road
    3. Wheel manufacturer, model, SIZE, offset/backspacing, part number would be AWESOME
    4. Did your setup require spacers?? (CRITICAL POINT)
    5. Did you need to grind the brakes any to get them to fit? (SUPER CRITICAL POINT)
    6. If they did fit without spacers or grinding, are they ridiculously close to rubbing on any parts?
    7. How are the wheels holding up over time??

There are countless threads about 265 vs. 285… 265’s will work and not rub… 285’s will rub…

Lets try to keep this centered around what wheels work. I have ordered and returned two sets of wheels at this point that are said to work on the 2012 TRD Sport, but end up hitting the brakes.

Wheel manufacturers won’t give you a straight answer around the fit questions…. It is basically trial and error when it comes to getting wheels to fit on these trucks.

Lets compile some of the knowledge on this thread so people can get the straight and complete answer before they go through the headaches I have been having over the past few weeks.

Thanks ALL!!
    Goose

2. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    Goose

Goose [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Blaine, MN
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport LB
    Readylift SST 3" lift
    That is a very good point. Someone put some great work into gathering all that data and making it available. The problem is, it lumps all our trucks into "2005+ Tacoma Fitment" and doesn't take into account the differences between the different models.

Please correct me if I am wrong and misunderstanding things, but a wheel that fits a standard SR5 or TRD Off Road, may not fit the TRD Sport. Thats what I have been finding...

I have heard the quote many times in the past 3 weeks that "The Sport must have different brakes, because the wheels will fit a regular Tacoma"

I was on the phone with Mickey Thompson just this morning and the guy told me that odds are against the Classic Lock fitting without spacers or grinding.

I dont want to discount the data that has been put out there, I would only like to refine it a little so all of us can make more educated decisions on our wheel selection.

3. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM
    KPT

KPT sees what you did there.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    There is no difference in wheel fittment between any 6 lug 2nd gen tacoma, regardless of trim level.

4. Mar 9, 2012 at 12:01 PM
    Backmarker

Backmarker Tinkerer

Member:
    Greenwood, California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4-cyl w/shell
    Big O Tires 265/70/16
    I just put these on 1 month ago with no problems, here is some pics and some of the specs...

Truck: 2009 Access cab, 4 cyl, 4x4, base model. Lifted 2" AAL 5100's
    Wheels: Vision V-Tec Raptor 16X8 6-139.7
    Tires: Big O Bigfoot A/T 265/70/16

Links: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...2009&pc=64769&counter=1&wd=16&rw=8&vid=014531

http://www.bigotires.com/Tire-Detail/Big-O-Tires/Big-Foot-A-T-All-Terrain/12662

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.ph...tegory_id=113&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

No rubbing, didnt cut or grind anything, brakes work great, and the wheels were 5lbs lighter each than the steelies.

Vtec Raptor.jpg
    IMAG0261.jpg

5. May 5, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    Tacoma977

Tacoma977 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD
    5100's set @ .85 w/;OME 885X coils and 2" Toytec AAL, 285/75/16 General Grabber A/T II's,Spidertrax 1.25" whee spacers, Toyota Preditor steps. Plasti-dipped grill trim and emblems, Weather Techs
    so it doesnt matter on the offset? i see some guys have 12mm and others running 139.7?

6. May 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    KPT

KPT sees what you did there.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    The 139.7 is the spacing of the bolt pattern.

Start here:
    https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

To Top