1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd thoughts about 2nd gen tacos ( rust issues)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by bobwilson1977, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Jul 15, 2009 at 8:08 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I have the first gen Taco. So far, no problems in 14 years and 221,000 miles. Mine is in with the group of Tacos that had the frame rust issue. Yet mine is still mint, perhaps because I've only lived in places that don't get snow. But lately I've seen a number of people make comments about the newer Tacos with serious rust forming on the frames just sitting on the lots. That has me just a hair concerned. I've even seen one or two posts where the frames on 3 year old Tacos are already rotted through. That and the other scads of little problems with rear springs, tailgates, and radios. Never thought I'd even think about this, but I'm not 100% sure I'd go with a newer Taco given these issues.

But... I suspect there's a few out there that have put some serious miles on their 2nd gen tacos with no issues. Just putting a feeler out there.

2. Jul 15, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I see lots of mud and water with my truck and have surface rust- but nothing that would qualify as "serious" Tho-I'm only @ 13500...Could develop into bigger problems I guess....but nothing bad yet.

3. Jul 15, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Debbie Downer strikes again. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

4. Jul 15, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    Nah Pster,
    I'm being serious. I think the rust issue is kind of a serious concern. I tend to keep vehicles for 15-20 years at a time. Perhaps for people who trade theirs every 5 years it isn't a big deal. But it is to me. There is no reason why a new truck should rust just sitting on the lot.

5. Jul 15, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    2006 SR5 4x4 with 25,000 miles...not a speck of rust, anywhere.....I would suggest to you the rust comes from dirt and mud and rock knicks "left unattended" over a period of time where it can trap moisture. Eventually rust will happen....try finding a truck with better rust resistance. I doubt you can.

6. Jul 15, 2009 at 9:33 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Concur- At least two of the threads complaining about rust ont he lot were talking about 08 trucks. If they get test driven ONCE and then shuffled around the lot occasionally- they are RIPE for surface rust.

I've tracked mine thru mud and water- No more rust than I would expect to see. Keeping it clean and touching up bad gouged spots and the welds from my sliders has kept it pretty clean. I would totally invest in a quality frame sealant if you are talking about keeping the truck that long...

7. Jul 15, 2009 at 9:59 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    I've had slight rust off and on, typically behind the front wheels. I'd say I've gone through and touched it up 3-4 times over the years. Nothing serious though. How much of the rust is attributed to folks who live in the snow belt?

8. Jul 15, 2009 at 1:20 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    I know Demoncleaner who owns an 05 treated his frame last summer because it was showing signs of rust. To what extent, I think he posted about on here somewhere.

My 2006 w/ 32k has seen two full New England winters & I have rust. Our local dealers lot was full of buy backs and now they are doing the frame swaps. Up here you see a lot of rust & do what you can to prevent it (undercarriage power sprays, aftermarket rustproofing treatments etc.)

In CA or sun states probably not as big of an issue, but up in the winter climate regions, you are hard pressed to find any undercarriage that doesn't have some rust unless its put up for the winter. At least Toyota is stepping up and taking care of it, other mfgs just let em rot away.....

9. Sep 12, 2011 at 12:20 AM
    xchevyman

xchevyman New Member

Member:
    ca.
    Vehicle:
    05 6speed 4x4
    A few but big dreams
    2005 120,000 miles not a spot of rust looks as good as a 2011 I would say and I'm just below yosemite

10. Sep 12, 2011 at 12:22 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Depends on where you live, and what they put on the roads to combat snow/ice. Here in the NE my 98 1st gen had completely rotted out in spots.

I have spots of surface rust on my 09, but nothing horrible yet.

11. May 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    Techoma

Techoma This is the Wild, Wild, West!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alta Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Extreme Expo 05 PreRunner
    Dirty fives on Level 8s, 4.88 gears and Harrod Locker on rear. Cab Chop x2, MBRP Cat Back Dual Exhaust w Flowmaster 44 for punch, cut off at rear axle, Throttle Body spacer, Camburg UCA and Coil-Overs, Matrix Spindle lift up front ProComp extended travel on rear w\ Dakar leafs +, Panasonic HU w Front x2 and rear x1 camera, kicker 500 powering 2 JL Audio 10" subs, JL component speakers in front doors and JL audio coaxials in rear doors powered by alpine 600 amp. Cobra all in one CB, Easy Lift hood, and Easy Down Tailgate, Pop N Lock, Dual RGB Halo Projectors, Blacked out tails with HI intensity LED's, Scanguage II, AVID Custom sliders and Hybrid rear bumper, Pelfreybilt Hybrid front, Glock Steering Column Holster, 2 Hella's behind Satoshi on Avid light Bar, Decepticon Badges, 2x 24" LED ropes and 2X 4" HI LEDs to fire up Satoshi w Super Bright green Halo's. Under Hood lighting as well as RGB rock lights. PrinSu Cab/Shell Rack with FreeSpirit hard shell RTT, 28", 2x 20", and 50" LED Bars all controlled by SwitchPros and Weathertechs front and rear.
    90k on my 05 which i purchased new in aug 05. I live / work near the ocean front. Water and mud trails are common. I have nothing more than surface rust on some bolts and high friction spots. That's my 2 cents.

12. May 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    tuckdaddy

tuckdaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tucker
    Lake McQueeney, Texas
    94,000 on an '07 here in Boerne/San Antonio, Texas i've been down to the coast quite a bit and have no rust what so ever on the frame the only rust i have is on the exhaust. the only problems ive had with my tacoma have been caused by me and not on toyotas part! i love it and will buy another when this one dies if that ever happens! :D

Products Discussed in

To Top