1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2wd 2017 TRD Off Road locker

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by FernGomez17, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Oct 22, 2017 at 6:47 PM
    FernGomez17

FernGomez17 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Vehicle:
    2017 tacoma off road
    method NV wheels
    Hey Guys,
    Ive been wondering what m rear locker does on my 17 Tacoma since I only have a 2wd vehicle. Call me dumb but I have always had this question and have never asked !.

2. Oct 22, 2017 at 7:00 PM
    AWDDude

AWDDude Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road DCSB, QuickSand
    When a vechcal is turning the wheels from left to right will be on different paths, the inside wheels will be on a shoter path that the outside wheels, so the inside wheels will want to turn slower. A differential allow you to apply torque to an axle while having the wheels turn at different speeds. This is all fine and dandy when you are just putting around town on roads. But if you get in a low traction situation the differential will send all torque to the wheel with the least amout of traction, meaning you are going to have 1 wheel spinning and the vehical not moving. Enter the Locking Diff. Selectable Locking diffs such as those found in our TRD Off Road and TRD Pro, will allow the driver to "Lock" the rear differential, forcing the left and right wheels to span at the same speeds. This will prevent 1 wheel spinning with out traction, but wont be very fun to drive around town while locked becuase you will be binding any time you turn.

Products Discussed in

To Top