1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2WD Lift?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bu11etWhisperer, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Mar 28, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    armyairforce89

armyairforce89 Active Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2010 5-lug SR5
    Ready Lift SST Lift Kit, Fog Lights, Aluminum Diamond Plate Tool Box, AFE ProDry S Air Filter, UltraGuage, BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A 235x75x15's
    I also have the ready lift SST for the 5 lug, and so far I like it a lot. I have put about 5000 miles on it with no problems. I spent $229 on the lift kit and $70 dollars on the allignment. Installed the kit myself with little effort. The front of the truck raised about 2.5 inches initially and then after the allignment right at 2.75 inches. The back of the truck went up about 1.5 inches with the add a leaf that came with the kit. The 2wd non pre-runner is not a part of the TSB so that is not currently an option.

2. Mar 28, 2010 at 11:27 AM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    Bullet,
    5100s will stiffen the ride more than stock, but much less than spacers. Spacers are basically metal hockey pucks that sit on top of your shocks. I couldn't tell ya how 5100s feel because I don't have them yet, but the ride is all opinionative ya know? Some like it some don't. And whether or not your truck is 4x2 or 4x4 shouldn't influence your decision, if you want more ground clearance and to make it look badass, go for it it's your truck. There's a ridiculous thread on this forum about 4x2 vs. 4x4. It's stupid. Dont listen to the 4x4 guys tell you "it's not a real truck".

3. Mar 28, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    Bu11etWhisperer

Bu11etWhisperer [OP] My Taco is Blue!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Douglasville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner, SR5, TRD Sport, Speedway Blue
    Very Nice indeed, how much $$ invested would you say?

4. Mar 28, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    choptop

choptop Molōn labe!

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner TEP

Check this out for some info on the lower cost suspension lifts: Eibach Springs & 5100s . This system is on my Pre-Runner and the ride is much better than stock IMO. The OME kit is supposed to ride better than the Bilstein 5100s. There are lots of good options for lifts out there.

5. Mar 28, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    Bu11etWhisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Douglasville, GA
    Vehicle:
    All of this info....my brain is only so big...lmao.

You guys are great. From what I have read I think I will go with the 5100's because of the ride. However, StreetDriven pointed out
    This....
    [​IMG]
    (TRDguyKC's Truck)

is the perfect look that I am shooting for and the kit he used is a 3" Toytec Lift
    This kit also has the longer leaf for a smoother ride. $300.00 is not a bad price compared to what some people spend. Do these offer the ride of the 5100's? I figured it would be about the same because of the longer leaf. Also, I will probably go with the Med Duty (110lbs) since I want to put a bull bar on the front? This is what the different weight catagories mean correct? It's for extra weight you will be putting on the truck? I also think these Med Duty will take care of the truck nose diving when I have to get on the brakes quick like (I hate that). I like this idea but if the 5100's the are being recommended are alot better and not that much more $$, I will probably go with them. Thank you all for helping my knowledge and my brainstorming. You Guys :rockband:!!!!

My mind isn't made up yet but I like the look of this idea.

Thanks Tremendously :bowdown:,
    Bu11et

6. Mar 28, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    redraider

redraider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Antonio,TX
    Depends on what type of spacer he gets, if he gets a top plate spacer it won't compress the coil at all, this is the type of lift that dealers install because it doesn't void the warranty or effect the stock ride at all. Going from a top plate spacer to the 5100's I really didn't notice a difference in ride, but your right it is all opinionative.

There are, just do your research figure out what you want to spend and which way you want to go (spacer,coil,shock,etc.) but do know that you will need an alignment, someone to install it (or save and do it yourself), and new UCA's because if not your alignment will never stay for long, unless you buy one of the 2 year alignment deals from Firestone or NTB or wherever you go.

7. Mar 28, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    Bu11etWhisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Douglasville, GA
    Vehicle:
    I was reading another thread...you know....doing my research. I seen this quote,

"It is a small 1/4" top plate spacer used to offset the dreaded "taco lean" opposed to your typical lift spacer designed to lift the front 1.75"-3."

This is what is involved with the kit I mentioned above, right? It just has a top plate spacer not the full spacers?

8. Mar 28, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    Bu11etWhisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Douglasville, GA
    Vehicle:
    Is there a certain type of UCA that is required?

9. Mar 28, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    redraider

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Antonio,TX
    That is a good deal but unless you mount a winch on that bull bar you won't need to get the Med. duty springs, a bullbar weights around 30-40lbs. or less and my grill guard weighs about 60-70lbs. and it is a solid one piece easily weighing more than a bullbar. If i'm correct the 5100's are on backorder just about everywhere, and the rear 5100's won't lift the back at all it'll just give you a somewhat better ride, you will always need a AAL to lift the back unless you go with blocks (which suck) but the AAL's will make the ride in the back alot smoother especially with the TSB. The coils should help with that braking thing as well.

10. Mar 28, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    Bu11etWhisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Douglasville, GA
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Lift says with the above kit I will have to replace the stock shocks (I just read in the OME or Bilsteins Thread)....Damn the madness...More Money!!!!:frusty: Guys I may have bit off more than I can chew. There is a lot more involved than I thought....Geez

I also just found an UCA on the Toytec site for.....$449.00!!!!! I mean REALLY!!!! This is never ending.

11. Mar 28, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    redraider

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Antonio,TX
    yes, it's to help with the "taco lean" which occurs with a full tank of gas and the driver inside putting all the weight on the driverside of the truck.

I have Light Racing UCA's (which are on the Toytec website) but other people go with the Icon's which are more expensive. You just need a bigger UCA than stock, doesn't matter which one you go with, those are the only two brands I know of for them.

12. Mar 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    i have a v6 with 35's i'm not saying it's fast or anything but it doesn't run bad, if he wants to lift his truck let him, it's his ride

13. Mar 28, 2010 at 5:16 PM
    IB Slingin

IB Slingin Well-Known Member

Member:
    The price of a set of 5100's and the labor to install them, unless you do it yourself. I installed them myself and paid $20 to get the factory springs mounted on the shocks. The extra leaf(TSB) and alignment were free:D!

14. Mar 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    Bu11etWhisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Douglasville, GA
    Vehicle:
    Well now that my head hurts from all the info I am going to bed. Maybe tomorrow it will all sink in better. Maybe I can rip out some teeth and the tooth-fairy will leave to enough dough to pay for this lift.

15. Mar 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    BUZZ5

BUZZ5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Many

Welcome to the addiction!:)

16. Mar 28, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    long travel or nothing:D

17. Mar 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    arrowhead

arrowhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey fuck you buddy!
    He asked what we thought. I told him in a very nice way about my experience with a lifted 2 wheel drive truck. I don't like lifed 2wheel drives unless they are long travel.

I never compared anything.

ALL I'm saying is after owning one I think a lifted 2 wheel drive truck is silly. You give up a lot by lifting a truck, like MPG, handling, excessive wear and tear, more expensive tires, ect ect. It's just not worth it on a 2x4. That's my opinion. The OP asked what we thought, I told him.

18. Mar 29, 2010 at 4:49 AM
    streetdriven

streetdriven Tampa OG

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Tampa Bay
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    2007 Speedway Blue double cab. Trd skid,6k hids,thule racks,grill,N-fab,fj wheels 285/75/16's
    God your getting even more dumb lol. Your such a jackass no one here asked for your opinion. He asked about a 2wd lift and which one to get. Now you change your answer to oh yeah I like them if they have a long travel lift. People like you really make forums so lame. Didnt your mother tell you if you dont have something nice to say keep your stupid mouth shut ;)

Bullet let the one hater hate and you get that bitch lifted and looking pretty!

19. Mar 29, 2010 at 5:52 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    here is mine right after I did the toytec 3" lift. I had the 3" spacers plus the AAL in the rear
    [​IMG]
    It rode a little stiff but I loved it and it looked good. I used the factory shocks and I didnt buy new UCA's....

20. Mar 29, 2010 at 6:33 AM
    Bu11etWhisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Douglasville, GA
    Vehicle:
    What is this long travel you speak of? It sounds like a setup made for road trips.

Products Discussed in

To Top