1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2wd LOW

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Trapper6speed, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Dec 14, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's

Warn hubs are plenty strong. My 91 has the ADD on the front diff, but has the hub conversion. Perfect for 2 lo. I broke an axle one time on the spline and destoyed an ASIN hub (toyota hub). I replaced the axle and the hubs with Warn. In my opinion they are fine. As for the Ford Rangers I knew 2 guys that replaced their hubs because the ford hubs are crappy and way too small. Warn hubs are also all steel as far as I know.

2. Dec 14, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Do you think there would be any implications with a drive shaft disco? I know they make them for people towing behind motor homes. Probably another route that's more trouble than it's worth though.

:thumbsup:

Do you accept iou's?:D

3. Dec 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    :laugh: Nice way to put it.

Does anybody know if the locker anytime is bypassing the computer or tricking it? because it it can be tricked once, it can be tricked again:D

4. Dec 15, 2010 at 5:29 AM
    awsumdc

awsumdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    SAS, crawler box, 14" coilover shocks, 39.5 tires,dual batteries, and a bunch of other stuff
    Would be great if they made manual hubs for the second gen but when they looked at it it was too expensive to pursue so no one makes them.

5. Dec 15, 2010 at 5:34 AM
    awsumdc

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    SAS, crawler box, 14" coilover shocks, 39.5 tires,dual batteries, and a bunch of other stuff
    Huh. Warn manual hubs are far stronger than the Tacos add hubs. I'ver run them on my Tacoma with Dana 60's 40" tires and 6000 lbs of truck and never broke one. Can t tell you how many times I've seen a stock Tacoma blow one of this add hubs. What your talking about is going with an oem part that was never designed for it's use.

6. Dec 15, 2010 at 5:39 AM
    awsumdc

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    There is not enough room to put a front disconnect on the drive shaft plus it just wouldn't be worth it.

As far as IOU's are concerned? I asked he wife and you and I got voted down.

7. Dec 15, 2010 at 5:46 AM
    awsumdc

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    Like I said before. You can put a couple of switches in there to get the computer to think it's ok to go into 4wd. But the issue is the design it self. No matter what you do with the front add you t case has to go into 4wd first before it goes into 4lo. If you have an ifs and you "fool" the computer into thinking it's in 4wd by allowing the computer to think the front add is now engaged and you go into 4lo you will I fact be in 4lo. No way around it my friends.

8. Dec 15, 2010 at 4:33 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    That's what I figured.

Darn, we could have worked something out:p

Do you think adding a switch direct to the t-case actuator is a viable option? Then when you really want to go into 4wd you just use the dash switch for the add. It would be really cool to get another 4wd dial and then I could have a super soccer mom truck with 2 4wd dials :headbang:

9. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2

Thanks for posting! Now we know it can be done with just wiring. I would love to have a twin stick transfer case in my truck, but I don't have that kind of time, money and motivation. Plus it's waaay overkill for my application. Now I just have to get my courage up to try this on mine.

10. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    awsumdc

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    haha...huh...NO! the t case itself wont go into 4wd drive until it gets a signal from the front add that it is engaged before the t case will go into 4wd. Unless infact you add a bunch of switches to fool the system into thinking it is in 4wd. But you have to make sure you use only momentary switches.

I see someone has done it already. It gets messy with the switches. Some have used relays to do something similar to make it a little less messy but I've always liked it simple which is why I just put a twin stick FJ Cruiser t case in mine.
    IMG_0728640x480_4374f5b0880104600d80779cc24faa86978765bb.jpg

I have since cleaned up the installation and changed the center console piece to a new one so it all looks factory. I'll get some pictures up soon.

11. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    I'm saying bypass the computer and wire a switch spliced directly into the actuator.

12. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Thats the deal. Transfer case can only be in 2wd <> 4hi <> 4L. So even if you fool front diff, TC still goes through 4wd to get to $4l
    Thats why in his build up he shaved the fork in FJ TC to bypass 4 and end up with L ( if that makes sense :) ) (atleast thats what I understood.)

13. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    I figured with the add disabled being in 4lo would essentially be 2lo?

14. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    awsumdc

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco

Yes and no. You see what he did was fooled the system into thinking that the front add has locked and that allowed the sequence to be completed to go into 4hi and then into 4lo. The transfer case is infact in 4hi and lo but the axles at the front are not engaged. There is a little fork that moves in and out to engage the front pinion. When I went solid axle and still had my stock t case I couldn't get the system to work with out the actuator back in the mix so I had to take the acuator off of the old front diff and plug it back into the system so that the t case would function. Now with a completely manual system it doesn't matter if I'm in 4wd to go into 2wd lo and since I have a crawler box as well I can go into 2wd lo lo. I love it.:D

15. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    You will be in broken 4L, broken because your transfer case would be in 4l but front will not be engaged. Which pretty much kills the point of making any modification. You may as well let the front diff engage anyway because you still need to go through all the steps of engaing Low gear in TC. Thats why the solution from awsumdc is so differnet. FJ TC has two sticks one controling the chain (4wd) and one controling planetary gear for Low. So if you pull the low stick planetary gears engage end the rest in the TC stays the same (true 2wd Low)

awsumdc correct me if I am wrong on something here

16. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    That's what I want. I don't really care if the t-case is actually turning the front drive shaft, as long as it's not going to the wheels nothing can be fubard up on hard surfaces.

Why is that pointless?

Why would you need to go through engaging the front diff if you have a switch direct to the actuator completely ignoring the computer?

17. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    awsumdc

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    You are correct. We shaved off the interlock foot on the hi lo rod and we took out the "pill" that connects the two rods together to allow a true 2wd low. Works like a charm and there is no "fooling" the system into thinking it's doing something it's not. I have a "true" 2wd low and a 2wd Super low when I also engage my crawler box.

18. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    How about the sequoia TC ? One with 2wd, AWD, 4Hi, 4L. Any idea if it has two separate rods to control low gear ?

19. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    awsumdc

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    You are more right than wrong here. The only difference being the FJ Case comes with a singal stick with the traditional J pattern to go from 2wd hi to 4wd hi and then to 4wd lo. What we did was separated the two rods and made a "true" 2wd lo like you explained.

20. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    awsumdc

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco

Yes. that is kinda true. We can get the Fj case to do that for you so you don't have to add another switch.

Products Discussed in

To Top