1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2WD pre running?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by trib, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Aug 18, 2010 at 12:18 AM
    trib

trib [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've been toying with the idea of eventually "pre-running out" my 2wd access cab daily driver, eg. putting a lift, coilovers, ucas and tires and taking it out to the socal desert for some fun and games... but not rock crawling or low speed trail wheeling. The only thing holding me back is the fact that its only 2wd, so if I get stuck I'm basically SOL. I mean, I've gotten this truck stuck in a flat gravel parking lot before lol...it just has no weight at all on the rear end. After the whole parking lot incident I stopped off roading it entirely and just drive on the street. Is there any way I can regain confidence in my 2wd truck to spend the $$$ to pre-run it out?

2. Aug 18, 2010 at 12:30 AM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Personally I wouldn't even consider taking a 2wd truck off the pavement... but plenty of people on here manage to (2)wheel their prerunners in some pretty gnarly stuff. I think the trick with prerunners offroad is extra good driving skill, knowing when you need momentum, lots of gas pedal. Or, if nothing else, hauling ass everywhere should get you pretty far as long as you don't snap your truck.

The better you set up your suspension the faster you can go everywhere = more fun and less stuck.

3. Aug 18, 2010 at 12:37 AM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    ICON Stage 6, RCI Skids, Blacked out
    Um 90% of real prerunners are 2wd man. The only time you have the chance to get stuck is in sand like at the dunes. and there you gotta air down low and don't stop. I have LT and I'm 4x4. its just a bonus being 4x4. The downside is you have more things to break, its heavier, less travel, and axles are a lot most of the time. The upside is I can take my truck up anything and I can go in the snow and I can pull people out that are stuck :p

4. Aug 18, 2010 at 1:05 AM
    trib

trib [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Good to have people like you around amaes :)

5. Aug 18, 2010 at 5:08 AM
    Tidrow

Tidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    PreRunnin' 08
    BHLM, All Black grill, Fog light Mod, AFE pro dry, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Kenwood deck, Bridgestone AT Revo 2
    4WD gets stuck too, just farther out in the mud. I hunt, fish, and camp in my 2WD Prerunner no prob. Just stay in the ruts and use momentum when needed. Have fun.

6. Aug 18, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Just study basic 2wd recovery. If you are going the pre-runner route, get a hi-lift and a bumper to support it. Carry your basic recovery tools; small sections of 2x6, small shovel, etc. Most of all use the best tool you have, your head and avoid those situations when at all possible.

:thumbsup:

7. Aug 18, 2010 at 7:16 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    so you have the TRD off road? if so then you have the rear locking differential. this thing will get you places off road :D

if you dont know about it search around the forum. there is tons of info on them

8. Aug 18, 2010 at 7:20 AM
    04prerunner

04prerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    locker is key for sure. Not a 4x4 but will get you where you need to go. it looks like you have trd package. You should have locker. but dont pre-run your daily driver. do a 3in lift with 32's and call it a day. keep it clean

9. Aug 18, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    when you have a properly build truck, the long travel susp will allow you blast through most everything, keeping your speed up and therefore not need 4WD

like alex said, most prerunners are 2WD...including race trucks

Products Discussed in

To Top