1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2WD Spring TSB -- Sort Of....

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by def4pos8, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Sep 26, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    def4pos8

def4pos8 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma AC 2.7L/5spd SR5
    undercoat, running boards
    I've been working with/complaining to/dogging my dealer's service manager since May regarding the inability of my truck's rear springs to safely support the 700lb payload my owner's handbook says it should support.

This started with a load of mulch that had the springs compressed to the stops. Just last week, the truck was only marginally able to support 500lbs of topsoil. The Bobcat guy swore that his lift-arm scale said 500lbs!

John Moss of Wagner Toyota at Dayton, Ohio has been very patient with me perhaps because I have been very patient with him. It goes both ways folks! If you don't start out with a confrontational rant, I believe guys like John will work with you. At least, it has worked for me.

My first step was the spring TSB. That was a no-go via applicability by VIN. Thanks to our Canadian :canada: friends here on the forum, I knew that their HiLux had an extra leaf. I asked John if the Canadian springs could be swapped in. He had to check with the Regional Tech Rep to confirm that they'd fit. John also suggested that I call Toyota Corporate and obtain a complaint number for my safety/controllability concerns.

THAT IS A KEY ISSUE! Toyota, or any other manufacturer, cannot ignore "safety" or "control" complaints.

I had a bit of luck this past friday. I visited John again and -- lo and behold! -- the Regional Tech Rep was there! I asked John if it was OK that I hurt him. John said that would not be productive. :D

After a five-minute discussion, the Tech Rep did agree to warranty installation of the Canadian springs. The Rep was concerned about diminished ride quality. I told him that my first Toyota was a '77 FJ-40. ANY spring under a Tacoma would be perfectly comfortable! I also told the Rep that if the Canadian bits fail to solve the problem, I won't bother him again and just go with aftermarket solutions. The new springs are worth $800 and my guess is that Toyota will pay Wagner's $200 or so for the install.

"Plan C" will involve Tough Country or Bilstein shocks, Northwest Off-Road springs or Firestone air springs. I'm also searching for polyurethane spring bushings to help minimize deflection back there.

The springs arrive on/about 1 Oct. I'll provide more news after the install and a few test miles.

2. Sep 26, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    AAL + Better shocks will do the trick.

3. Oct 8, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    def4pos8

def4pos8 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma AC 2.7L/5spd SR5
    undercoat, running boards
    My dealer installed Canadian :canada: specification leaf springs on my 2WD Tacoma today. These springs are a Toyota "add a leaf" configuration, with a half-leaf "helper" spring.

The part numbers are 48210-04560 for the right-side stack and 48220-04200 for the left side.

The Toyota District Technical Representative :devil: authorized the replacement under warranty as a "goodwill gesture". :facepalm: This is a good thing because the original springs did not support the payload specified in the owner's handbook. :evil: There was no cost for parts or labor. The dealer provided a fleet car for my use while waiting for the work to be done.

Ride quality remains excellent. There is no change to the body's pitch angle. Initial impression is that the rear doesn't "squat" under acceleration as before and body roll is reduced in turns.

I will update this thread after I haul more landscaping material to test the new springs.

Many thanks to John Moss, Service Manager at Wagner Toyota of Dayton, Ohio. :yay:

Products Discussed in

To Top