1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2wd with a ARB locker?....

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by AY_ARONTRD, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:12 AM
    desertjunkie760

desertjunkie760 @DesertJunkie760 (IG)

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Check My Sig.
    I’m confused at how you justify a piece of last ditch recovery equipment to be a better alternative. It’s much easier to flip a switch and drive off than deal with a $300 piece of plastic. (I have a set. They are a great “just in case” piece of equipment but I wouldn’t rely on them on the regular.)

There are most definitely areas where you DO NOT want to use a locker and it can get you into worse situations. Mud or compact snow are two that immediately come to mind.

2. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:27 AM
    phsycle

phsycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Locked 2WD will be marginally better than 2WD. I've done it in my old Tacoma. There is maybe 2-3% of the time where a locker may have helped. So this is a cost to benefit scenario. $500 for maxtrax that would work just as well in those scenarios, and in some cases, much better. Given the options, that's what I would do. You could also install a winch and still come in way under an ARB locker like you're suggesting. Lastly, you don't need OBA to air up tires. A $50 Viair pump works just fine.

Mud and snow---you're dead in the water in 2WD anyway. But maxtrax would serve you better here than a locker as well.

3. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:43 AM
    Blandino

Blandino Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Damien
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab Tacoma
    Whistle Tip Exhaust
    A winch in the desert? Could always build your own ground anchor system I suppose.

desertjunkie760 likes this.
  4. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:46 AM
    phsycle

Member:
    CA
    There are various products, like Pull-pal, sand anchors, etc. I've seen a guy winch to a spare tire, bury it and pull himself out.

tcjacado likes this.
  5. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:46 AM
    desertjunkie760

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Vehicle:
    Check My Sig.
    I agree with this (the bold in the quote) completely. This is the very reason I bought the traction boards in the first place. The issue I have is that I still have yet to see someone actually use the boards for what they were actually intended for. I’ve used them to level my truck to sleep in the tent more than actual traction boards.

Our experiences severely varies in the benefits from a locker. Many variables of why, but I am on the complete opposite side of the percentage values. I do understand the cost though. It’s not the cheapest option, but IMO it’s worth the cost. I use my locker more than any other mod I’ve done to my truck yet.

Also, I apologize if my last quote sounded rude. Wasn’t my intentions. I just wanted to hear your ellaborated thoughts on the discussion.

tcjacado likes this.
  6. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:47 AM
    desertjunkie760

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Vehicle:
    Check My Sig.
    @DeadmanOffroad !!!! :bananadance:

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  7. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:49 AM
    Blandino

Member:
    First Name:
    Damien
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab Tacoma
    Whistle Tip Exhaust
    I just don't agree with your idea that a locker doesn't help. Look at all the 2wd race trucks running spools and no winch or traction pads.

P-Dawg and desertjunkie760 like this.
  8. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:55 AM
    phsycle

Member:
    CA
    Nope, no offense taken. I didn't think it came off as rude at all.

I've used Maxtrax in snow--that's about it. I've yet to take it on any extreme trails, as my truck is fairly new and stock. There are a few trails I plan on heading to, where they will help.

Just to clarify, I was talking specifically about a locker in 2WD. 4WD is different story. ATRAC up front and locked rear, I can crawl up a lot of stuff.

9. Mar 21, 2018 at 4:40 PM
    AY_ARONTRD

AY_ARONTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Murrieta ,CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB Cement OR 4x4
    Tell you what... this ended up being a great discussion... kind of get the goods and bads brought into the discussion. I’m leaning more towards the “yes” side of purchasing a locker. I will not be in snow, doubt I’ll even attempt muddy terrains.. just wanted a little more reliability for a 2wd in the not so difficult situations.

djthicks likes this.
  10. Mar 22, 2018 at 1:15 PM
    Granti

Granti Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I agree

11. Nov 14, 2018 at 3:26 PM
    tacoscar

tacoscar Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    oscar
    Fontana california
    Vehicle:
    2007 silver tacoma prerunner4x2
    *Dirt king 3.5 long travel *Front king 2.5x8 long travel coilover *Front King 2.5x8 bypasss long travel bypass *Rear 2.5 stock lenght reservoir king shock *advanced fiberglass fenders *315/70/16 fallen wildpeak m/t *double standard method race 16" wheels *rough country side sidesteps *digidiodes 50inch curved led bar (×1) *digidiodes 4×4 pod lights (x2) *Rigid industries dually d2 pods (x2) *hidretrofit headlights *spyder led taillights w 3rd led brake light *pioneer nex 7201 double din *power acoustik 4000bmaf bass amplifier *power acoustik 12 inch subwoofer *jl audio 500/1 high amplifier *rockford forsgate speakers all around

Im looking into this im stuck between arb and detroit locker so your saying arb would be a good choice for a long traveled 2wd?

Blandino[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Nov 25, 2018 at 6:01 PM
    Blandino

Member:
    First Name:
    Damien
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab Tacoma
    Whistle Tip Exhaust
    I haven't messed with the detroit, but I'm 100% satisfied with the ARB lockers. When I ordered the locker, they had a special and included a free CKMA12 air compressor which has worked amazingly as well. I have it mounted in my cab where the back seats used to be, so I can't comment to how it handles abuse under the hood or in the bed. Prior to that I had a fifteen dollar Slime compressor from Wal-Mart. It got me out of quite a few pinches, but ultimately it destroyed itself.

The ARB accessories are top notch as well. I keep their 18' air hose, tire inflator, and plug kit in my truck at all times. Have used it more times than I can count, and I always grab it in the garage when I need an extension.

13. Dec 3, 2018 at 10:46 PM
    tacoscar

tacoscar Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    oscar
    Fontana california
    Vehicle:
    2007 silver tacoma prerunner4x2
    *Dirt king 3.5 long travel *Front king 2.5x8 long travel coilover *Front King 2.5x8 bypasss long travel bypass *Rear 2.5 stock lenght reservoir king shock *advanced fiberglass fenders *315/70/16 fallen wildpeak m/t *double standard method race 16" wheels *rough country side sidesteps *digidiodes 50inch curved led bar (×1) *digidiodes 4×4 pod lights (x2) *Rigid industries dually d2 pods (x2) *hidretrofit headlights *spyder led taillights w 3rd led brake light *pioneer nex 7201 double din *power acoustik 4000bmaf bass amplifier *power acoustik 12 inch subwoofer *jl audio 500/1 high amplifier *rockford forsgate speakers all around
    Thanks to every body for the replies i guess it was a good topic to ask about but yeah i like the idea of having the arb locker with dual air compresson one for the locker and one for inflating tires yeah i shouldve been more specific i would mostly be prerunning

Blandino likes this.
  14. Dec 16, 2018 at 8:36 PM
    Ready_already

Ready_already Active Member

Member:
    Ventura,Ca
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma
    Tires are everything in the snow...

P-Dawg and tacoscar like this.
  15. Jan 6, 2019 at 4:41 PM
    oconnor

oconnor Where am I?

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport 4x4 AC 6MT/ '04 TJ Rubicon
    The ARB only uses air to lock/unlock correct? Does not need constant pressure to stay locked.

16. Jan 6, 2019 at 8:49 PM
    Blandino

Member:
    First Name:
    Damien
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab Tacoma
    Whistle Tip Exhaust
    It needs constant pressure. You toggle the switch for the compressor, then front or rear diff solenoids. Once you toggle it the solenoid activates and leaves the line open until you flip the switch again.

oconnor[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Feb 6, 2020 at 2:29 AM
    xtwillie

xtwillie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma
    Adding a rear locker to your 2wd is a great option, I have a 2003 Tacoma Prerunner with no locker, and take it off roading all the time. it has great ground clearance and handles pretty good, I have had issues where my rear tires do need a locker though. Adding it to my 2003 at this time in my life would be way cheaper then trying to sell and by a 4x4. I found some 4x4 04 tacomas for over 11 thousand still. So for everyone it is not cheaper to just buy a new truck with 4x4. its actually cheaper to add a rear locker and push my truck to see if I need 4x4 and if I do I am going manual locking hubs for the front. some great threads out there, it also takes away from the cv axle wearing as with manual locking hubs they don't spin with the wheels when there not locked in. there are definitely pros and cons to factory 4x4 systems. If you plan on going off roading a onboard air compressor would be a great investment anyways as you need to air down and air up when you go off roading and there is not always a gas station right there to do so.

Dekoy909 likes this.
  18. Feb 6, 2020 at 4:06 AM
    Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call Kindling crackles and the smoke curls up...

Member:
    Colorful Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB SR5 4X4 "ikea furniture haulers" edition.
    For the amount of money you are going to put into giving your truck a locker, I'd just sell the truck and buy a 4x4.

GreyBaldTaco likes this.
  19. Feb 6, 2020 at 5:32 AM
    P-Dawg

P-Dawg Factory 2 Seater

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR AC MGM Utility Pckg.
    After spending two days at the Eaton Test Track I saw two test sections where a 2wd Silverado with a G80 rear locker was able to drive up a hill that the F-150/Tundra/Dodge 4x4s with open diffs couldn’t climb as both of their right wheels were spinning and wouldn’t send any power to the left wheels which were on dry sections. Not saying you shouldn’t get a 4x4, just don’t get one without a locking rear diff of some kind. I learned more in two days at the Test Track than 15 years of looking at the internet.i wished Toyota offered the G80 locking rear, it’s like a $325 option on The Colorado. My 07 Sierra 2wd had a G80 and I had little problem driving in 2 years of Chicago Blizzards with stock tires and 200 pounds n the bed. If I had 4wd I would’ve never used it. Then again I grew up when most cars were just RWD so I learned snow driving skills quickly as you had to.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  20. Feb 6, 2020 at 9:40 AM
    P-Dawg

P-Dawg Factory 2 Seater

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR AC MGM Utility Pckg.
    Another plus of adding the locker is a 4x4 uses more gas, has slower acceleration, has heavier and less responsive steering, and occasionally gets engaged by people looking to change the heater controls.

Products Discussed in

To Top