1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3.4 Stutters at idle

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by rtb777, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jan 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM
    rtb777

rtb777 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    American Fork, Utah
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma SR5 TRD Double Cab
    3 in lift, XD Wheels, Bed light Mod
    Alright so I've searched and searched and can't seem to find a thread that relates to my problem so here it goes. For the past month while at a stoplight or parked my engine sort of stutters for a split second, the best way I can describe it is almost as if the engine has a "hicupp." it is completely random and does it whether the truck is in drive, park, or neutral. I have a 2004 3.4 the things I have done so far to try to fix the problem are, cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor, and changed fuel filter (which seemed to help for about a week). spark plugs only have about 10k on them. The only mods to the engine are the elbow mod and a k&n drop in. Thanks in advance for all the help!

2. Jan 31, 2012 at 12:19 AM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Matte Black custom paint
    try cleaning out your iac. they're known to gunk up and cause idl issues. take it apart and give it a thorough cleaning.

3. Jan 31, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    lil J

lil J Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacen
    Louisville
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4wd V6 Horizon Blue
    Old Man Emu Suspension
    Is your check engine light on, had slightly the same problem not to long ago and replaced the mass air flow sensor after cleaning didn't help. Once I replace the mass air flow sensor truck was running like new

4. Jan 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    alove0750

alove0750 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Concord, nc
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Pre-runner
    Bilstein 5100's and OME 882's in the front AAL and Bilstein 5125's in the rear Converted to 4x4, with 97 front diff with manual hubs 4.56 Yukons front and rear Custom front bumper, sliders and under-belly skid by MOBS Fab in Concord,NC with built in hella's and 8000lb smitty
    Mine has done the same thing ever since I can remember. I've done a full tune up, ran injector cleaner through it, clean MAF, I don't know what else to do. Nothing seems to be wrong, just like you said, seemed like a hickup

5. Jan 31, 2012 at 3:47 PM
    rtb777

rtb777 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    American Fork, Utah
    Vehicle:
    No CEL yet it gets worse every day it seems like so im hoping it will throw a code soon! I'm gonna try to clean the IAC sometime this week like suggested by SCSPerformance then maybe try new plugs and if it comes to it a MAF sensor. Thanks for the help guys! I'll let ya know if I get this figured out.

6. Jan 31, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    rtb777

rtb777 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    American Fork, Utah
    Vehicle:
    Also lil j did your check engine light come on and throw a code for the MAF sensor? And did you just buy yours at an auto parts store or online?

7. Feb 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    lil J

lil J Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacen
    Louisville
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4wd V6 Horizon Blue
    Old Man Emu Suspension

Check engine light was on code P0171 I think, got MAF sensor at autozone for like $15

8. Feb 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    MAF for $15? That's a good deal. Stumbling sounds like vacuum leak or ignition coil going bad. Check for brittle/cracked vacuum hoses. It would be nice to have another coil to try on each plug to see if that fixes it.

9. Feb 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM
    rtb777

rtb777 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    American Fork, Utah
    Vehicle:
    Alright so yesterday after tearing my intake off and cleaning the Iac valve and other tb components and cleaning mt MAF again. I started it back up and the "hiccup" was still there so I called the stealership and asked if they had seen anything like this before to which they responded, bring it by and we will take a look at it for $105 at that point I hung up the phone. Then I decided to run by autozone to get another opinion they heard my alternator bearings squealing and assumed maybe the extra drag from the bad bearings was causing the idle to drop. After I got home I took the belt off the alternator and the squealing stopped but the idle problem was still there. But after I got the belt back on and re-tensioned my tacos case of the hiccups were magically cured! I have been driving it since yesterday and so far so good.

10. Feb 2, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    rtb777

rtb777 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    American Fork, Utah
    Vehicle:
    Also if found oil in my intake :eek: which also could have contributed to the problem so a new pcv valve is on the way! Thanks again guys for all the help! :thumbs up: good luck on diagnosing alove0750 hopefully you will just get lucky one day like I did!

11. Feb 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tallahassee
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    ah cool. I have the same thing, as well as a belt that squeaks suddenly at idle. Never made the connection between the two. I picked up maf cleaner, new plugs and plug wires and was about to try and solve the shuddering that way. How difficult was it to do? No way you're going to post a how to break down eh?

btw, gotta love it when Autozone is the place you go for a second opinion and the dealership is worthless.

12. Feb 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    rtb777

rtb777 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    American Fork, Utah
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I would have never of thought to connect the two either. As for pulling the belts off it is very simple and only took me about 10 min since I tested the alternator first and it ended up being the culprit. I followed this great write up http://www.yotatech.com/f2/how-change-drive-belts-3-4-l-5vz-fe-216234/ and instead of taking the alternator all the way off to test it I just loosened the 3 bolts and Then pushed the alternator down to where the belt was loose enough not to spin the pulley. I would try to figure out where the squeak was coming from and work on that pulley first (in my case the alternator) good luck! :D

To Top