1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3.4 V-6 Timing Belt Replacement ?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by srsupertrap, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Nov 16, 2008 at 8:24 AM
    srsupertrap

srsupertrap [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5 V-6 TRD 4 X 4
    Bilstein 5100s, Borla 14945 S/S Exhaust, Fram Air Hog Filter, Diff Breather Mod & NGK Wires
    I recently purchased my 2001 Tacoma TRD with 104K so I have a couple of questions concerning the timing belt replacement, tools required etc. I have previously replaced the T-belt on a 95 Pathfinder and one of my concerns when performing that job was breaking loose the Harmonic Balancer bolt. I put the gear shifter in 1st gear and broke the bolt loose with a long breaker bar. No harm no foul but perhaps I was just lucky nothing snapped in the drive train.

The Tacoma Factory Manual illustrates a special tool to secure the harmonic balancer while loosening the harmonic balancer bolt. My question is do I absolutely need the special tool to perform the job or is there another safe method of breaking loose the harmonic balancer bolt without damaging anything else? Or put another way the preferred method?

Second, while I am in there should I replace the water pump with another Toyota OEM water pump? I have no history with Tacoma's but as I when I replaced the 95 Pathfinder T-Belt @ 84K the water pump started making noise @ 129K and I had to go back in to replace that component and go through the entire process again.

Anything else I need to be aware of . . .

TIA

2. Nov 16, 2008 at 8:26 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    You may as well replace the water pump while you've got the front of the engine disassembled.

If you live near a well-equipped tool rental outlet you may be able to rent the special service tool (SST). Some folks have fabricated tools / pieces required. Trying to break and re-tighten certain bolts without some sort of special tool is a major PITA.

3. Nov 16, 2008 at 8:33 AM
    rpoint16

rpoint16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road, Super White.
    Bone Stock
    On my 95 V-6, I had the belt replaced at 100K. Did not do water pump.

I'll go in a different direction here. I do my own brakes, fuel filter, belts, master cylinders, etc...and am relativley mechanically inclined, but have never done a timing belt. Most Toyota dealerships have monthly timing belt specials for around $200- $225. I don't have alot of specialty tools, & dont want to spend a full day doing a project like that with the headaches.

4. Nov 16, 2008 at 10:47 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Definately replace the water pump & thermostat while you're in there.

Also, replace the accessory belts too. Peace of mind.

My husband and I replaced the water pump on my 96 (3.4L) several years back. We didn't change the timing belt because we had the Saturn dealership (where I bought the truck) pay for having it changed when we purchased the truck (they refused to pay to have the other stuff done).

I owned the truck for about 10K miles before I started loosing radiator fluid in the overflow tank. I kept topping it off for about a year (can't remember exactly) before the leak was noticable enough that I knew where it was coming from. The water pump never failed, but the gasket material that seals it to the side of the block deteriorated and that's where the leak came from.

Here's a writeup on how we did it:
    http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/Mechanical/WaterPump/WaterPump.htm

5. Nov 16, 2008 at 11:57 AM
    Cobra69

Cobra69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Taxachusetts (Massachusetts)
    Vehicle:
    02 Tocoma TRD Expedition Setup
    2002 Tacoma TRD Access Cab, Deckplate Mod.,Grey wire Mod.,Cobra CB,Ext. Diff. Breather,E-locker rear only for now,CBI Custom Winch bumper, SAW 2.0, All Pro 5" leaf packs+Bilstiens 5150-10" shocks,Cooper STT 285x75x16 on Wheelers Type B 16x8 rims, Budbuilt front+Mid skid plates, Custom transfer crossmember+skidplate,Trail-Gear sliders,custom roof-rack,Ultimate-air CO2 tank,4-Hella 500 H.I.D. Lights,Atlas 10,000 lbs winch. Custom Half-doors for the summer.
    Dam........$200-225 to change the timing belt out? I need to drive to your dealership.............mine up here want like 700-800 to do it.

6. Nov 16, 2008 at 12:06 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    Haynes says to jam the flexplate or flywheel by sticking something in and catching a bolt on it. Sounds nearly impossible to me.

7. Nov 17, 2008 at 6:42 AM
    srsupertrap

srsupertrap [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5 V-6 TRD 4 X 4
    Bilstein 5100s, Borla 14945 S/S Exhaust, Fram Air Hog Filter, Diff Breather Mod & NGK Wires

Products Discussed in

To Top