1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3.4L 5VZ 1st Gen Oil Change Guide

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by chris4x4, Aug 13, 2009.

1. cmack

cmack Impeach Chris4x4!

Member:
    Yep. Chris knows the secrets. :D

2. supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
    what does it mean 29 ft lbs? that always gets me.. O_O

3. chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, lots of buttons, and yellow flashing lights on the dash.
    It means, set the torque wrench to "29 lbs-ft", and tighten the nut/bolt. :)

4. supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
    haha thanks..

5. s2kvtak

s2kvtak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Grillecraft grill w/ TRD badge, Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners set at 2.5" and Toytec AAL in the rear. 285/75-17 Interco TRXUS M/T
    isnt there a cleaner way of getting the filter off without spilling the oil all over the freakin place? i just bought mine and when i changed the oil it went freakin every where. all over the skid plates and everything. it was dripping for a week. i thought i developed a new leak at first.

6. cmack

cmack Impeach Chris4x4!

Member:
    Really? Using the method stated above, my filter comes off clean and easy.

7. s2kvtak

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Grillecraft grill w/ TRD badge, Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners set at 2.5" and Toytec AAL in the rear. 285/75-17 Interco TRXUS M/T
    yeah and thats teh only way i could figure out how to get to the filter to start with without this thread. idk why it make such a mess. i think i may have read something about a check valve in certain filters....maybe....idk....maybe im hilucinating. ive never heard of something like that before until i got on here so maybe im not.

8. BigGreenTaco

BigGreenTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    97' SR5 Tacoma
    Bilstein 3.5 lift springs, 33's, thrush muffler, CIA
    I have the same problem as s2k, not sure if we have different skids or what but mine has no place for the oil to drip from the filter other than on the skid then goes everywhere..

9. Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    Use a 2-litre plastic bottle and cut the bottom off (about 4" from the bottom). Wedge that up in there underneath the filter & the lip. Unscrew the filter and let the oil run into the bottle. I would also let the oil filter drop in there. It is somewhat difficult snaking the bottle (with oil in it) out...but it's much better than having oil everywhere.

10. s2kvtak

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    ill remember that for next time. im up for another change

11. moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road SR5 Impulse Red
    5100's @ 1.25", Scangaugae II, deck plate mod w/AFE Pro Dry S filter, grey wire mod, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, 17" sport wheels powder coated black, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers, 265/70/17 Cooper Zeon LTZ's, sockmonkey beside decals.
    had my cleanest oil change ever yesterday! only a oil spot about the size of my palm on the garage floor. i was so proud of myself :eek:

12. cmack

cmack Impeach Chris4x4!

Member:
    :woot:

13. s2kvtak

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    yeah mine was a success too. mine would have been completely puddless except when i pulled the drain plug i didnt have the pan over far enough and it hit the edge and some went on the floor, but as far as the oil filter goes i didnt miss a drop thanks to the 2 liter bottle trick! worked great but it is kinda tricky to get it back out. just takes some finagleing

14. moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road SR5 Impulse Red
    5100's @ 1.25", Scangaugae II, deck plate mod w/AFE Pro Dry S filter, grey wire mod, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, 17" sport wheels powder coated black, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers, 265/70/17 Cooper Zeon LTZ's, sockmonkey beside decals.
    they oil i spilled was from the filter like always. i will try the 2-liter bottle trick next time though.

15. s2kvtak

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    yeah i cut mine kind short so that it didnt go all the way up to the filter itself. and just mess with it till you get it positioned where you want it. i cut mine right at 4"

16. Spitfire12

Spitfire12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks! Now I know how do it! Filter pretty hard to take it off, because My arm not long enough to reach turn off.
    [​IMG]

17. twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    I am going to try the filter removal this way, after the engine is warmed up, remove the wheel well flap, loosen the filter a tad, take a sharp tapered punch marked with a piece of masking tape that when driven into the filter at the tape mark, would produce a 3/8's hole , pierce the filter to the masking tape mark at 12 O'clock, insert a piece of 3/8's plastic clear hose,carefully loosen filter to 6 O'clock, insert hose into a plastic bottle, re-pierce filter at 12 O'clock for a vent and see what happens. I think you could practice the first hole punch on a empty can so to get a idea if the hose will fit the filter with minimal leakage.

18. TacomaNJ

TacomaNJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD SR5 Tacoma Ext.Cab
    Just changed the oil on my 2001 Tacoma for the first time since I got it which was last week :goingcrazy:!

Quick question, I am almost 100% positive that my bolt in the drain plug DID NOT have a washer/gasket with it...How essential is this to making sure that I do not have an oil leak?

It has been 2 days, and I have not seen any leaks and I have also check my oil multiple times and so far so good. Just want to double check.

19. steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 SR5 Xtra Cab V6
    265/75/16 BFG A/T's, OME 881's, Wheelers 5 leaf pack, 5100's, Home Made Sliders
    if there's no leak, don't worry about it. Just put one on next time you change the oil.

20. 2TRunner

2TRunner Don't give up here just yet

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Around To Many People
    Vehicle:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Lugs
    Brute Force Bumpers: rear & custom front tube, Saw-A-Way Racerunner 2.5 Coilovers with Total Chaos UCAs. Icon AAL.
    My $.02...

The filter change can also be done while standing and facing the engine. You'll need a strap wrench.

I wouldn't suggest this if the vehicle is really hot. With engine hot is the only way I've every done it, must be nice to have a cool engine on this one.

On the drivers side, look down in there and find that alternator. Reach your hand down in there and behind the alternator. Should be able to feel the oil filter.

Position strap wrench so it turns lefty loosy, slide that baby down in there and over the filter, give her a few turns and remove the tool. Should be able to spin the filter off with your hand. Tight fit.

Take a look at this link.
    http://www.lowmileageengines.com/engine_blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/100_0034.JPG

It obviously does not have any of the serp belt drive/access attached but you can see what I"m talking about. And it's a lot harder with the engine in the truck.

Look at the bottom of the engine. Find the lower coolant intake pipe and directly behind it is the oil filter. A little hard to see b/c its a black filter and it's hidden by that bracket (alt bracket) but should give a pretty good visual.

To Top