1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3,740 lbs Towed Off Back Bumper

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mrbadwrench, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Jul 9, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    mrbadwrench

mrbadwrench [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleveland Ohio area
    Vehicle:
    2014 GMC Sierra 4x4, 1988 Mitsubishi J53
    Hi TW. Here's a report from the farm...

The truck is great, everyone here is really happy with it. It has developed its own weird quirks - odd little vibrations here and there, and the radio doesn't work if you slam the doors. Things every vehicle gets, which give it character.

A word on towing off the bumper, since some wondered if we might need a tow hitch:
    Today I had to yank out a large diesel air compressor from it's mired in mud pit where it's been wallowing for 5 years. The whole unit weighs in at 3,740 pounds (with ~250 lbs tongue weight). Towed it down the road at 50 mph for a ways, also over rough field, to get to another site. The truck drove great, the bumper showed no signs of anything concerning, which leads me to conclude that the bumper is probably over-engineered (as suspected) and I'd throw 4000 lbs on it without hesitation.

Best regards from rainy Ohio

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jul 9, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    WOW! Maybe I could have pulled my uhaul with the bumper after all :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

3. Jul 9, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    Nice! Not sure I'd of tried it but then again, I don't live on a farm.

4. Jul 9, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    How much did that Uhaul weigh that you towed? I'm debating buying a hitch now because I need to rent a Uhaul trailer in a month and drive almost 600 miles. I don't need a trailer as big as that one, however.

5. Jul 9, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    There are many benefits to a hitch than putting a ball on the bumper. Turn radius is a big one. I'd be very cautious jacknifing a trailer if it was hitched to a ball on the bumper.

6. Jul 9, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Yeah, that's true but I pretty much never tow. However, I'll probably buy a hitch anyway (the Uhaul ones are only $110) because I will be towing more in the future, looks like.

7. Jul 9, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    cyclewvu

cyclewvu Well-Known Member

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    08 base 4x4 2.7l
    K&N intake & filter, Trifecta Trifold toneau cover, 16" American Racing Fuel wheels, Bridgestone Duelers
    mrbadwrench, is your truck 4wd? 4cyl? how was pulling it at 50mph?

8. Jul 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    My total load (including stuff in the bed) was ~3,700 lbs...assuming I only had a few hundred pounds in the bed, I was just about maxing out the 3,500 lb rating of my 4-cyl. I pulled it 500 miles in a bad low front / wind storm, but it pulled it like a champ with hardly any sway.

At a few hundred bucks, the hitch was well worth the investment even for this one-time pull. I currently use it for my bike rack, but you never know when the need will arise to tow again.

9. Jul 9, 2010 at 10:53 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Isn't there a tow capacity on that bumper?

10. Jul 9, 2010 at 11:02 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    My ranger work truck bumper had like a 2000 pound capacity towing or somewhere around there. I was pulling a 18' 1200 pound trailer totaling about 4kips.

Anyways I was on the freeway and got rear ended. Me and the trailer did a whole 180 on the freeway. Load stayed in tact. We didn't roll. Trailer never disconnected. The bumper was bent but that's it. I was very surprised. That thing could have had another 2kips on it and wouldn't have snapped.

Those bumpers are stronger than some think. Needless to say that was a one time tow and I never do that. It is cool to see the limits of stuff.

11. Jul 9, 2010 at 11:50 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Not directing this at you or anyone. Just an overall reminder.... before you assume you can tow/haul more than the towing capacities - THINK about other people on the roadways.

Ok, say for instance.... something happens and your load breaks fee (for whatever reason). Your load manages to create a huge accident injuring people. The insurance company investigates and discovers you were hauling too much weight on a bumper capacity of 2,000lbs. How do you think that lawsuit will turn out? If towing capacities weren't important, they wouldn't exist.

Because next time, it could be YOU, Your spouse, or your children involved in an accident from someone doing something unsafely.

12. Jul 9, 2010 at 11:54 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I would be screwed! Good thing you don't live here in socal. I don't think you would want to drive anymore after seeing what some people do.

The other day a guy wa towing a trailer in the carpool lane. It was full of bricks. No straps. No tarp. They were bouncing around. Needless to say I passed him quick.

We do modify our mounts and what not to handle more weight though.

13. Jul 10, 2010 at 12:18 AM
    TacomaMtnMan

TacomaMtnMan those who seek fear shall be followed by fear

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Broomfield
    Vehicle:
    Fox Shox lifted DC 4x4
    3" lift using Fox Shocks Coilover, Total Chaos UCA's. Running: Duratrac 285/70/17 Rear suspension just a 1" block for now. Will have custom rear springs no block. Fox w/ Resi.

Yes, which is why him being on a farm pulling this was great, but I would strongly advice others if you plan to tow to definitely install a hitch. You not only put yourself at risk, but others that drive on the road.

14. Jul 10, 2010 at 12:22 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    It's probably full of shit too . :D

15. Jul 10, 2010 at 1:04 AM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    :laugh: :rofl:

16. Jul 10, 2010 at 6:18 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
  17. Jul 10, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    mrbadwrench

Member:
    Cleveland Ohio area
    Vehicle:
    Good comments here. Yes, I should probably add that although this is a great demonstration of the towing capacity of the bumper, that 3,500 lbs rating is there for a reason, and if someone was injured due to misuse of that rating, there could be a lawsuit. Don't want anyone getting sued :cool:

18. Jul 10, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    It wasn't like you were at the county fair yanking on the sled for a "Full Pull". Yes you said somewhat mired in mud but it rolls. It's on wheels and pretty well balanced where more of the weight is over the unit's axle and less on the bumper/tongue. I'm pretty sure a couple of us could move it by hand.

I pull double trailers at work and the converter dolly (the unit that connects the rear trailer to the front trailer) weighs in from 2800 lbs up to 3500 lbs for the older models with the spare tire mounted. I can move it about by hand because of the balance. Sometime you need to move it around to hook it to the tractor to hostle it around or to position it under the trailer. They are so much easier with super single tires (only one tire on each side instead of duals) EagleVA-dolly.jpg

Not here to cause trouble but try it without the trailer wheels on and lets see what happens.

19. Jul 10, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    mrbadwrench

Member:
    Cleveland Ohio area
    Vehicle:
    Truck is 2WD, 4 cyl.

It hardly felt it, really. Very easy to pull. With only two wheels, aired up nicely, and a small wind profile, the trailer has little resistance too, despite its weight.

Products Discussed in

To Top