1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3 inch vs 6 inch lift/New Tacoma owner

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RiverRoy17, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Sep 25, 2017 at 9:36 PM
    RiverRoy17

RiverRoy17 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCLB
    Bone stock....for now
    Hey guys, this is my first post and I just bought my first Tacoma about 10 days ago. It's a 2017 TRD OR DCLB in Quicksand. I absolutely love it so far. I'd like to explore lifting it, but really trying to know the full extent of what I'm getting into before I end up halfway down a road I wish I had never turned down. The internet can be a wealth of knowledge, but it's also become a bit convoluted, so I hope to find a little more information specific to my post title.

From what I've seen, both lifts look great. In a perfect world, the 6 inch is more aesthetically pleasing to me. However, I know it may involve some more serious modifications to really make it right. For example, I'd like to avoid cutting of the wheel wells or anything of the sort. In order to get an appropriate tire size, I realize I may need to do that. That's the sort of stuff I'd like to know from anyone with experience. I definitely prefer a suspension lift as well. I'd love to hear from anyone who has one of the above lifts on the '16-17 body style and what your experience has been so far. Thanks for any feedback, it's greatly appreciated!

2. Sep 25, 2017 at 9:50 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    You need to cut the frames crossmember to drop the differential on a drop bracket/6" lift. Hard to revert back to stock for whatever reason. You don't have to cut the fenders much to clear larger tires since it will be so high.

RiverRoy17[OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 25, 2017 at 9:51 PM
    ElBlancoTaco

ElBlancoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    The question is one of preference. There are hundreds of 3rd gen posts about lifting pro's and con's. Best way to understand this archive is to search and read and come up with what feels best for you. Welcome to TW, there is a great deal of archives that will help most people reason out most ideas.

mutilatedjak and RiverRoy17[OP] like this.
  4. Sep 25, 2017 at 10:16 PM
    RiverRoy17

RiverRoy17 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock....for now
    Thank you. I’ve read a good bit of them but just feel like there’s a lot of conflicting information. Again, just gets a bit convoluted and I was having a hard time finding info on the newer body style. I understand the dynamics and functionality of front end components, suspension, etc, was just more trying to understand specific things about this truck and how it responds to certain lifts. If it has any tendencies with one vs the other, etc. Thanks again for the response!

ElBlancoTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Sep 25, 2017 at 10:48 PM
    ElBlancoTaco

ElBlancoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    No worries Mitchell. Again, this is by far the best auto forum I've ever spent time with. What I like about researching the archives is reviewing different opinions relevant to my general question and then asking pinpointed specific questions based on the similar information I've learned to try and drill into targeted areas of concern. There are many sound posts that will warn against going above 3", but if you really want to go 6" you're right on target to learn about the reasons why people suggest not to go to the higher lift and filter that through people that have gone higher and are happy with it. Can't wait to see the "after" pictures!

RiverRoy17[OP] likes this.
  6. Sep 26, 2017 at 8:11 AM
    RiverRoy17

RiverRoy17 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock....for now
    I’ll keep digging into some of these threads and see if I can come to a decision I’m confident in. I’m definitely leaning towards the 3”. Thanks again Ron!

Products Discussed in

To Top