1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3" lift cause CV boot or other damage on 4x4?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by mhagio, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Jun 13, 2009 at 10:06 PM
    mhagio

mhagio [OP] Active Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Silver 4x4
    I have a Tacoma 4x4 double cab w/ TRD off road package. I wanted to put a 3" lift so I could fit some 285/70/17 KM2's

I was told by a couple of local shops (San Diego ORW and Truck shop which I think are reputable) that lifting my truck over 2.5" will damage my CV joints even with a diff drop.

This was caused due to the angle and the continued stress on the joints from the lift.

Is there anyone out that that has had a 3" lift for a while (i.e., 1-2yrs) that could tell me if you've had problems or not?

Thanks
    Maurice

2. Jun 13, 2009 at 10:19 PM
    jhodge83

jhodge83 Any dog under 50# is a cat and cats are useless... Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica DC 4WD Sport
    wat?
    i had a 3" spacer on mine last year for a few months and then went to a 3" CO setup and have been running it since AND wheelng it a few times w/ no cv tears or problems. i am running the diff drop as well. lifted the truck at 1 week old and its coming on a year old

3. Jun 14, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    Lots of people lift their trucks/tacomas.

Do you see many people complaining about CV boots / CV failures?

Sure, anything can happen and anything can break. If you abuse it, you'll definately damage something.

One word of caution to prevent damaged your CV joints - DO NOT make tight turns while in 4WD!!!!! I've seen guys blow out their CV joints because they crank the wheel & try to move at the same time. POP/BANG!

4. Jun 14, 2009 at 8:49 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    If you go in mud or sand hose off the CV boots. 90% of the time a CV boot gets torn is because there is mud or sand between the folds which has been rubbing for some time.

Kinda like when I screw my fat sweaty wife on the beach. I always hose the sand out of her folds.... But, that's a different subject.

5. Jun 14, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    TRD_yota_nc

TRD_yota_nc hey big man lemme hold a dollar

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD BLACK
    3 inch Toytec suspension lift, Cooper Discoverer STT, Moto Metal 951, UWS tool box, all weather mats, window tint, K&N Cold air intake, Airaid tbs, rubber tacoma bed mat, Wilson "Little Wil" cb antenna,
    thanks for that info man i didnt know that but thats good information

6. Jun 14, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    mhagio

mhagio [OP] Active Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Silver 4x4
    Thanks for all the advice. doesn't sound like people have had too much of an Issue with the 3" lift.

I'll have to remember your advice about hosing off... oh ya and my truck too.

To Top