1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3" lift installed- rolling noise?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by guystyles, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Nov 27, 2009 at 9:25 PM
    guystyles

guystyles [OP] Member

Member:
    3" leveling kit, Roll Top
    I'm curious to know if anybody has had the same problem that I currently have. I have a 07 trd double cab with the 3" leveling kit installed with add'a'leaf. Since I have installed the kit, I have had an annoying rolling noise from 30km/h-75km/h (hard to explain over text). It sounds like tire noise but I don't think it is because I have since swapped to my winters and the noise remains the same. I have had an allignment done so that is apparently good. I had the mechanic that refered me to this lift come for a ride and he told me to take out the diff drop spacers. I have since done that and the noise has faded at lower speeds but remains approx 65km/h. Aswell, I was drinving in 4x4 today and it seems that the noise is gone but not when I put it back into 2wd. The guys at the tire shop said it could be axle noise.... any advice?
    Thanks ahead of time!

2. Nov 27, 2009 at 9:34 PM
    oofy15354

oofy15354 Proud Tundra *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    Herculiner, Access Tonneau, Uniden cb, firestik antennae, Bosch Wipers, JVC Ipod headunit, Boston Acoustic Speakers
    That's weird that it's only in 4x2. Unless it's something to do with the front differential and engaging it stops the vibration. I'm no mechanicic but that's my best guess just thinking logically

3. Nov 28, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    Jimirich

Jimirich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Dbl cab shorty O.R. pkg
    DTRL, Debadged, Donkey tethered in the bed that rips 142 db farts so I can piss off the neighbors and rattle the windows on my house when I'm parked in front.
    Does it sound almost like a whell bearing going bad?
    Search for "vibration after lift"
    Search search search and you will find that many people end up with driveline vibrations after lifting their truck.

4. Nov 28, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    05trdsport

05trdsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary AB CAN
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport Silver
    K&N cold air intake, Aroturbine exhaust OME 885's on OME Nitrochargers, Total Chaos UCA, 1-1/4" wheel spacers, TRD sport wheels coated flat black, dick cepek AT 285/70/17, Alcan AAL/OME rear struts, Blacked out front valance, bhlm headlights, nav/ipod eclipse headunit. URD maf calibrator with map option. Supercharger in the works.
    i had the same issue. i took out my diff drop, noise seemed to get quieter, then started about 5000kms later. just found out i need a new drivers side diff bearing. $114.00 canadian and about a days work.

5. Nov 28, 2009 at 2:30 PM
    guystyles

guystyles [OP] Member

Member:
    3" leveling kit, Roll Top
    huh, thats interesting. It does sound like it is coming from the passenger side so I wonder if it might be the p/s diff bearing???? I wonder if that's a warrentee fix??;)

6. Nov 28, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    05trdsport

05trdsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary AB CAN
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport Silver
    K&N cold air intake, Aroturbine exhaust OME 885's on OME Nitrochargers, Total Chaos UCA, 1-1/4" wheel spacers, TRD sport wheels coated flat black, dick cepek AT 285/70/17, Alcan AAL/OME rear struts, Blacked out front valance, bhlm headlights, nav/ipod eclipse headunit. URD maf calibrator with map option. Supercharger in the works.
    if you can access a hoist, lift up the truck and spin the passenger wheel. if its a bearing it will make noise, then you should be able to pinpoint if it is the diff or the wheel bearing. im going to be replacing the diff bearing next weekend and ill be sure to take some pictures and do a write up. dealer wanted $700 for labour and $114 for the part CAN, and my truck still has warrenty but due to the fact its lifted you can bet that they will not be covering it, thats what happened in my case.

To Top