1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3" lift questions!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DEFsTACO, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Feb 5, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    DEFsTACO

DEFsTACO [OP] New Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    '06 Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD Sport
    K&N 77 kit
    For starters I have read many threads on this forum and others regarding 3" lift ideas. I'm new to Truck suspensions and more specifically Toyotas. I understand suspension principles from installing and modifying mustang suspensions and some from Nitro burning R/C stadium trucks. So don't hold back on technical terms. I'm thinking of light duty (no bumper, brush gaurd or winch) OME springs and OME shocks with a Total Chaos upper control arm for the front. Is a differential drop kit necessary to prevent premature wear of ANY suspension components? The rear will receive either an AAL or a new leaf pack. Does the AAL significantly reduce ride quality? Also is a differential carrier bearing drop kit necessary to prevent vibration or premature wear? With the stock TRD suspension I already have bad wheel hop when things get slippery. Will the AALs and carrier bearing drop kit help correct this or make it worse? Finally what are axle shims used to correct.

2. Feb 5, 2009 at 11:40 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to Tacoma World!
    Looks like you have thought this out very well. The OME and TC combo are GREAT!
    I havent felt that the AAL has deteriorated the ride. A diff frop cant hurt, but make sure you get the front diff back PERFECTLY inline with where it was before. If its off a bit, you may get some vibes from the front. Same with the carier bearing drop. It cant hurt. Most people have been useing 3* shims in the rear, but I have found that 2.5* is perfect. AAL's will help with the wheel hop. :)

3. Feb 5, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Welcome to TW :wave:

1. OMEs springs are great and the shocks are even better! :D When I bought them many years, they suggested getting the medium duty (885) coils because I had a double cab...
    2. TC UCAs are great!
    3. Some say the Diff Drop isn't necessary and is the source of driveline vibes. I have a prerunner so I don't need one.
    4. The leaf pack would be the way to go... good ride quality and good payload characteristics. I would also suggest upgrading the rear shocks to OMEs while you're at it...

:thumbsup:

4. Feb 5, 2009 at 11:55 AM
    DEFsTACO

DEFsTACO [OP] New Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    '06 Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD Sport
    K&N 77 kit
    Are shock extenders a bad idea if factory Bilstein shocks are still in great shape? Do axle shims simply correct for the new angle that the leafs contact the mounts on the rear axle?

5. Feb 5, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    The shims are to change the angle of the axle to help get rid of driveline vibes. I say new shocks because there are so many out there that outperform the stock Billys.

6. Feb 5, 2009 at 11:59 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Yes on the shims. Best thing for the rear, is what Delmarva said. Get new shocks. The stock shocks arent going to handle the new spring rate and lift height.

Products Discussed in

To Top