1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3" lift - Shims, Carrier Bearing Drop, or nothing

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by wiscdave, Jul 29, 2009.

?

What are you running with your 3" lift AALs to correct vibe?

Poll closed Aug 28, 2009.
  1. Shims

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Carrier bearing drop

25.0%
  3. Shims and Carrier Bearing drop

25.0%
  4. Nothing

50.0%
  1. Jul 29, 2009 at 11:22 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave [OP] Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    I'm installing a 1.5 TSB AAL along with some 885 OME Coils and shocks and spacer to get a 3" lift on a longbox DC and I'm curious what everyone is putting in intially. I've got the longer drivetrain...so it might be different than the short boxes?

I'd hate to have to rip into the U bolts after install if I get a vibe, and because I was planning on running the Carrier bearing drop kit with the STOCK U bolts I was going to try and save a couple of bucks on the shims and longer Ubolts. Your thoughts?

2. Jul 29, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    TacoTycoon

TacoTycoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Hayes, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4WD Indigo Ink
    Bilstein 5100 Coilovers, Diff Drop Kit, TSB AAL, 285/70/17 BFG A/T Tires, 17X8 Helo HE835 Wheels, Rear Bilstein 5100s, Dual Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, TRD Front Seat Covers, Rear Suspension TSB, 35% Tint, Redline Hood Struts, MagLite Mod
    Well, each truck is different and some people don't even have any vibes so the only way to know for sure if you will need them is to install the lift and drive it around. Then again the shims are not that expensive if you wanted to just get them the same time as your lift.

3. Jul 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    I would go with getting nothing and going back to fix vibes IF you get them. I don't have any and I didn't have to install anything.

The other thing is I think I remember reading you shouldn't re-use UBolts...and the only way you can is if your AAL will get enough purchase on the leaf pack with the new lead installed...I think you are going from the 4 leaf to 5 right??

4. Jul 29, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    wiscdave

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Yes, 4 to 5 and it looks like I can fit the TSB AAL in there (also Toytec support said I could) But the shim will not fit and I'd have to pay additional shipping, sweat and blood to get everyting apart to get the shim in and new u bolts...get my drift, MPIA.

5. Jul 29, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    I hear you on the blood sweat and tears- I did my own install for everything. 3 pack AAL in the rear with shocks, and the struts in the front.

I can't promise you that you WON'T have problems- but I doubt you'll need to change anything. and you'll save the hassle of buying and re-selling them if you don't need them.

6. Jul 30, 2009 at 6:19 AM
    wiscdave

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
  7. Jul 30, 2009 at 6:40 AM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    I had vibes from the get go and installed cb drop and shims. we 1st tried just the cb drop and all different kinds of combos with washers to try and drop the cb a little more each time and the vibes didn't improve or got worse. we put shims in and i still had vibes; however, now that i've put some mileage on everything, the vibes are minimal and only noticed @ acceleration btwn 5-7 mph, after that, it's smooth sailing. when i say minimal, i mean, you really have to make an effort to feel it when accelerating slowly. if you just drive normally, you don't even notice it.

To Top