1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3" lift with a good ride

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by EGtaco, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Mar 16, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    EGtaco

EGtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    I kow the "best" lift is different for everyone but....I want to add a 3" lift and some 285's to my 2009 double cab but I also want a smooth ride on the roads. What would you guys suggest for a lift. I dont want to break the bank but I know you have to spend some money if you want quality parts.

I guess I want the best of both worlds. Great ride, good looks, and clearance on the trails.

2. Mar 16, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    weidjd

weidjd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC TRD OR 4x
    Saw COs/RR,TSB + 1.5AAl, LR UCAs
    Well after lots of Qs and looking. Really your best option is new shocks and coils. Or Adj COs. Anything else will probably ride rough. Look at the OME, they ride really well from what everyone says for the $$.

3. Mar 16, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    Farmboyfab

Farmboyfab Its cheaper to do it right, than do it over. Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Fort Myers
    Vehicle:
    '97 F150, 1-ton, 54" Claws, 12V Cummins
    Best ride and performance off-road will always test your definition of the term "breaking the bank".

With the bank out of the picture, I think it is hard to argue that Icon is not the best in ride quality and performance in that lift height range. What it comes down to is balancing your budget with your demands and needs....ToyTec and Bilstein are also great options, along with some upper control arms....completely depends on you.

4. Mar 17, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    EGtaco

EGtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    thanks guys...

I was looking at the toytec ultimate lift fotr aroun $1300 which is not "breaking the bank" but then just something as simple as some billies 5100 might do but the guys at a few shops told me that adding the 5100's is not meant as a lift just more travel for the shocks. I am sofa king confused.

5. Mar 17, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    LED interior lights, stubby antenna, Pioneer in dash screen, good driver mod.
    there are lots of guys on here using the 5100's to gain lift. I think on their highest setting you will get about 2.5" of lift. they will be slightly stiffer than stock but much better than spacers and are very cost effective.

6. Mar 17, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    soilsample

soilsample Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Southwest Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 Double Cab
    I've been running a Toytec Ultimate lift on my truck for a couple of weeks now.
    I have put about 500 miles on it.

Ride is as good or better than stock. I loved the way the truck drove from the factory. I did NOT lose that feel!

Highly recommend the Toytec Ultimate. Their customer service is top notch also!

7. Mar 17, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    Silver_Taco

Silver_Taco Senior Member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    IMO, go for the OME lift. Save $ not buying the ultimate kit - unless there's some reason you'd want to adjust your CO's. I installed the OME - cause it set my height to "badass" and that's where I like it..

Ride is great. Match with some aftermarket UCA's, 285s, a quick trim and you're rollin.

8. Mar 17, 2010 at 5:56 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    It's a really good idea to go with a better shock if you are swinging bigger tires. Bigger tires require more shock power to keep them under control at speed. Billy's (toytec lift) is a very inexpensive and great way to gain about 1.75 to 2.5" of lift to clear bigger tires. OME's are very comparable and you will here good arguments either way. Icons and other 2.5 inch diameter shocks are more for offroading but look sweet as hell even on the street.

To Top