1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3 wires 5 pins, need some help!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ERMB, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Apr 26, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    ERMB

ERMB [OP] I want to paint your truck!

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Central Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    10 DC timberland Mica
    Gunmetal Countersteers and 285/75/16 trail grapplers, CMC, 5100/OME 886x, LR UCA's, homemade color-mached satoshi, horn relocation, Shorty Antenna, added fogs, Wade Sure fit Floor Mats, Aero Turbine 2525xl, lights behind Satoshi, DIY light bar, Bestop, Ride Rite air bags, 100psi air compresser, Intermittent Wiper Mod, ATO Rear Bumper, SOS Sliders and IFS Skid, Multiple kids seats mod...
    So I bought this fog light switch on ebay. I recently installed a fog light harness kit from tundrapart.com. $39.bucks shipped. Easy install, works great, only problem is it comes with a crappy switch. Thought I got a good deal on a oem switch, but now that I see the connection on the back I've run into a snag. All the threads I've researched showed a switch with 4 pins on the back. Some of the threads showed combining pins 3/4 which illuminates the switch which is exactly what I wanted, since I only have three wires coming from my fog light kit to my current switch.
    My new switch has 5 pinsand I have no idea what pin controls what.
    Does anyone have this switch? Have a diagram, have good suggestions on how to proceed? Any help would be very much appreciated.uploadfromtaptalk1367024424765.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1367024447213.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367024467933.jpg

2. Apr 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Never seen that switch before. It's certainly an OEM style... maybe from Scion or Nissan/Honda/Hyundai.

If you have an ohmmeter, you can check the pins to confirm what's what.

MOST LIKELY, the two pins by themselves are the illumination for the icon. Connect those to the dash illumination.
    Of the remaining 3, one is going to be the power source (IGN, RADIO, TAIL, etc...), one will be the switched output to the fog relay, and the 3rd will be the ground for the indicator lamp.

With a meter, the resistance between the hot and ground for the two lights will not change when you change the switch position.
    The supply power to the light's hot will switch from "OL" to "0".
    If you get a reading above "0", then you are metering the supply power to the indicator lamp ground.

3. Apr 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
  4. Apr 27, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    ERMB

ERMB [OP] I want to paint your truck!

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Central Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    10 DC timberland Mica
    Gunmetal Countersteers and 285/75/16 trail grapplers, CMC, 5100/OME 886x, LR UCA's, homemade color-mached satoshi, horn relocation, Shorty Antenna, added fogs, Wade Sure fit Floor Mats, Aero Turbine 2525xl, lights behind Satoshi, DIY light bar, Bestop, Ride Rite air bags, 100psi air compresser, Intermittent Wiper Mod, ATO Rear Bumper, SOS Sliders and IFS Skid, Multiple kids seats mod...
    Thank you for the info. Now i need to learn how to use the meter I bought. So if I only have 3 wires leading to my current switch, do I leave the 2 other pins blank or do I combine somehow like I've seen on some other threads?

5. Apr 27, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Simplest wiring would be
    1 - Common ground to both indicator lights
    2 - Control hot
    3 - Switched output to relay
    4 - Icon illumination

With only 3 wires, you likely don't have the illumination wire.

Here's an example based on the 6-pin FJ Cruiser switch above.
    This will translate to your switch, but without having the switch in front of me, I can't tell you how.

[​IMG]

To Top