1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

30k Service Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Johnz, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Sep 23, 2009 at 5:40 PM
    Johnz

Johnz [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Silver Creek, NY (Buffalo)
    Vehicle:
    '07 Access Cab 2 WhDr - SR5 - Impulse R
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau Hitch WeatherTech Matts Pop N' Lock Pioneer Deck/HD/Blue Tooth/USB
    I have a question regarding the 30K service for my 07 4 cycl, 2wd, manual, access cab. I read the write up about the 30k svc but it doesn't match what the dealer is telling me. The dealer wants 349.95 and they said they do the following: Oil chg, tire rotation, Inside cabin filter, under hood air filter, battery service, throttle body clean and caliper slide greased up and checked for winter. Now I'm no mechanic but I do my own front brakes and change intake filters. Is the a rip off and why doesn't this match the write up on this forum? I know I can do all the above and maybe even the throttle body cleanup (write up makes it look easy) but is that really needed at 30k? and the brakes calipers, sounds like someone made all this up for some cash. If anyone thinks this is nuts let me know. My appt. is this Sat. and I'm thinking of changing this to an oil chg/rotation and do the rest myself. Anyone with thoughts? Will this effect my warranty if I don't?

I appreciate it, as my wallet doesn't want to get much lighter.....

John z.

2. Sep 23, 2009 at 5:42 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    They say they do that, But I havent found one that actually did. There have even been some dealers that wont change the cabin filter. Do whats in the write up, and you should be good. TB clean shouldnt be needed until after 60K miles.

3. Sep 23, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Im about to get mine done. I go to my buddys shop. He charges me 120 for everything including new spark plugs. That includes the cabin filter. I say do the oil/rotation like you said and do the rest. Just buy the filter yourself.

4. Sep 23, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Sounds like you can do it all yourself for a lot less. Throttle body cleans are not that hard on a GM 3800. I would assume the same with a Toyota. Just be careful with the MAF.

I really need to find a decent manual but for $435 I don't think so.

5. Sep 23, 2009 at 5:52 PM
    jfr02

jfr02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb 6spd sport
    not having the dealer perform this will not affect your warranty.as far as the brake slide thing durring my time at a caddy dealer i had a few of the old timers ask for this service.i personaly don't feel its needed but if you live where they use lots of salt i can undestand them maybe thinking you should do it.but like i said i don't think it is needed i never did this on any of my cars or trucks.as far as the throttle body service some cars need it more than others.take a look at yours if there is alot of carbon build up it could use it.and yes this is very simple to perform.get some carb/throttle body cleaner a old tothbrush and a rag and give a good scrub,just don't go crazy with the carb cleaner.it may smoke alittle when you start it up and have a bit fo a rough idle but it will go away quick.good luck and hope i was of some help.

6. Sep 24, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    Johnz

Johnz [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Silver Creek, NY (Buffalo)
    Vehicle:
    '07 Access Cab 2 WhDr - SR5 - Impulse R
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau Hitch WeatherTech Matts Pop N' Lock Pioneer Deck/HD/Blue Tooth/USB
    Thanks for all the input. I changed the svc appointment to just oil change/tire rotation. I can't believe I even considered having that done for 350.00!!!! The cabin filter I had already changed at 15k. Amazon had them for 9.99. I may take off the calipers and make sure they are free and greased, we do get tons of salt hear in the great white north.

7. Sep 24, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Silver Sky
    The only word that comes to mind when I read what you get for that price is RAPE. Do what you can yourself, then have your buddy hook you up.

To Top