1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

33" tire rubbing! Sob...

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by BenJammn5, Apr 30, 2009.

1. BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5 305/70 GT Radial MT, 2.5 RaceRunner Coilovers: Maxtrack Spindles 4": Sway bar delete,Rear Bilstein 5100+TSB leaf pack, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, 3K fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, color matched eyelids, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamps from autozone, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    I already researched this question but found no official answers; is it possible to eliminate almost all of the rubbing i'm having w/ my Tacoma's 285/70 R17 tires?

Looks like the tire rubs on the frame a bit, can that safely be trimmed down w/o sacrificing frame damage and stability? I'm gonna lift it another .5" but I know it will still rub. What did you guys do w/ 33" tires? I know I could buy glass fenders too, but wondering if there is another solution besides lifting several more inches and glass fenders and smaller tires.

2. dud122

dud122 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma DC
    ome lift'd, bent-up rear, elite front, revenge fab'd sliders, camburg uca's, safari snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, safari bed basket, truxedo'd, bed rug'd... more to come
    DON'T "TRIM" YOUR FRAME!!!

get some wheel spacers.... should fix everything

may have to trim some wheel well plastic but that is simple enough

3. tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    different wheels would be way easier than trying to notch the frame or lift the truck more

if the tires are rubbing the frame...fenders wont change that

you need EITHER wheels that stick out more...or skinnier tires

4. DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I have a 3" lift up front and trimmed quite a bit on the front lip and just took the mud guards off. I still rub on the back of the fender near the body when I am turning sharp up a curb or something of that nature. I don't off-road much so it doesn't bother me to much. I am going to be getting some Bushwackers once they are released for DC SB's here in the near future so we'll see what happens then.:rolleyes: Oh and I have 18's with 285/65-18"s with a -12 offset on the wheels.

5. higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status

x2

6. BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5 305/70 GT Radial MT, 2.5 RaceRunner Coilovers: Maxtrack Spindles 4": Sway bar delete,Rear Bilstein 5100+TSB leaf pack, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, 3K fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, color matched eyelids, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamps from autozone, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    Thanks guys, much appreciated, my wheels are -12 offset I'd do a spacer on that too but a little concerned w/ wheel barring stress and spacers on the front make me a little nervous. NO FRAME cutting, gotcha.

7. 06Bluez

06Bluez Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4
    Icon Coil-overs, TC UCA, with Bilstein 5150 and Icon 3 leaf pack. 17" Moto Metal 951 4.5" Backspacing wrapped in 285/70/17 BFG AT's. Demello front bumper and Avid offroad sliders.
    MORE LIFT!!!! THats what I did!!! :D

8. BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    Spending another grand is definitely one way to take care of it. thanks bro

9. tigerfan00

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    but it would suck if you spent another grand and it didnt fix it

10. BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    true that, i know more lift would help; today I put the truck on my curb in front of the house and when I turn the wheel it definitely 'smudges' into the frame. Rather annoying.. I eyeballed if I put a 1" wheel spacer and it would help a little bit but it would still touch the frame just a bit.

11. bk1

bk1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lower Mainland, BC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ProComp Stage 2 6" lift, AAL, Heated Mirrors, DVD/NAV, Amp & Subs, Fog Light Mod, Rear Diff breather. WeatherTech Mats, Soft Tonneau Cover, 33" TrXus M/T, M8000 Winch & Bumper, CB, Rock/suspension Lighting and a whole lot more Soon to come rear Locker and more....

Tried that already.. 33" TrXus MT's with an OME 3" lift. 4.5" backspacing and a 1" spidertrax spacer and i'm still rubbin on the body mounts at full turn, and anytime the front suspension articulates.

Goint to be trimming the body mount a bit and then weld and recap the mount.. stupid design flaw :mad:

12. victorye3

victorye3 Western Alliance-NorCal

Member:
    Fresno/Tulare, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    Im having the same problem! I just got 33's 285/70/16 Mickey Tompson Baja M/T and they went to go put on my 3 in. Toytec lift and the upper control arm nearly hits the tire. This is with stock wheels. I did not have to do any cutting but, I had them take off the lift. So, the tech said if I get a wheel with a middle offset it will give me another 1" 1/2. Not to many wheels out there with those specs. Anyone known of any?

13. BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the imput guys.
    I called demello offroad today and they said they could trim the body mount and rebuild it to reangle so that my tire wont hit. Charging 225 for 3 hours of labor, does this sound retarded?
    I'm willing to do this in order to eliminate tire rub, anybody rub shoulders with demello offroad to hook a bro up???

14. tigerfan00

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4

Demello is a member here...i think both Jason and Wyatt have their own user names

it sometimes seems like theyre on the pricier end of the spectrum...but they know what theyre doing and will do it right the first time

15. BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    Great to know, thanks for the help tigerfan! Very useful.

16. tigerfan00

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    look for the thread in the buildup folder about the Beast...

17. tc2008

tc2008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Garden Grove, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue
    8000K HID light, LED map and dome light, cluster + AC blue, Camburg 2.5 front and rear, Deaver 10 Packs. Satoshi Grille, Eyelids, Carbon fiber hood w/ scoop, BHLM, 285/75/16 km2s, KMC enduros
    What is your backspacing? I hope you know you suppose to run 4" preferably due to 4.5" will rub especially with offset of -12. I had the exact issue as you on my old motometal rub like a bitch therefore this time I'm getting wheels from 4x4groupbuy which most of their wheels has atleast 4"BS, so I don't think you need to pay them $200 for trimming the frame...

18. BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    don't matter bro, even w/ a 1" wheel spacer I'd still rub. My wheels are 4.5" not 4, but I love the ATX artillery wheel so I'm not about to change it out for a wheel w/ 4" backspacing cause it wont cure my issue.
    200 is a cheap price to pay vs switching out all the wheels and going with a 4" backspace.

To Top