1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

37 year old wants to change careers.

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by TacoRich, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Jul 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    that was the PCP and didnt have much to do with the ages/fitness levels unfortunately

A couple years back we had a guy walking down the interstate completely naked who was on PCP

he had 2 officers hanging off his arms (one each side) and they were going to town on his legs with their batons...he continued to fight...he successfully broke free and ran out in front of a vehicle moving at interstate speed...got hit and thrown into the windshield of another vehicle

after he landed IN the windshield...both arms and legs were broken and he continued to try to pull himself out of the car and fight with officers

he was ultimately arrested

another one awhile back went into handcuffs fairly easily...and then broke the handcuffs off...

we had another one a couple months ago in an eerily similar fashion...it took 6-8 firefighters, 2 officers, and a completely closed down interstate to stop him and get him detained

OP, my department has hired several new officers that are upwards of 40 years old...some come from other places...others looking for a new career...

2. Jul 22, 2012 at 3:57 PM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    When I was running our agency pre-employment background unit, we had several over 40's qualify, attend and pass the academy. It's all a mind and physical game. Didn't hurt that we were active in recruiting military personnel that were retiring and had the physical and mental ability.

When it came to passing the "qualifiers", the military personnel had an edge also since we knew where they were and what they had been doing for several years.

Interesting factoid.....66% of those applying FAILED the process BEFORE the academy.....which included the written and physical agility exam, initial interview, background interview/investigation, pee in the bottle, polygraph interview/test and psychological exam.

3. Jul 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM
    Jay9722

Jay9722 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    South carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Access Cab 4wd
    I started my LE career at the age of 22. I was not in the best shape of my life but I was very sharp. I spent the majority of my LE career in SWAT and became extremely fit, nasty, and much sharper. However, I left that job and went federal. As a federal agent I feel like my fitness level has gone to piss and my sharpness has also dulled. I have 9 years left until I can retire and have considered going back to local law enforcement when my time is up. But I do not think I will go back to the street. Even when I was at my best I was tested to the limits of my physical and mental stamina and thank youth, fitness, and sometimes dumb luck for my survival. I will always be a dangerous man but i think my best days of speed, surprise, and violence of action will be well behind me at the age of 50. Working the street, gang, narcotics or SWAT is best left to the young guns who have been doing it for years. It's not a good second career. Just my .02 but if you decide to do it...be the hardest motherfucker you can be. It will save your life.

4. Jul 22, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    IronPig

IronPig Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC
    Toytech Ultimate Lift Kit, LR UCA's, T3 eyelids, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, FN Type X wheels, Debadged, Homer Taco Raptor Grill and lower valance grill, painted lower valance, blacked out skid plate, Flyze Eye interior light, LED interior lights, EZ down tailgate
    37 is not too old to start at all. Everyone has made great points about competing with the younger cops in terms of physical shape. I am a Sgt and I like having the knuckle draggers around, but I will take someone with common sense and life experience any day. I would rather talk someone into handcuffs than fight them into them. Cop work pays well with very good benis and retirement. It does take its toll though. There is a lot of stress and the hours SUCK. We go from 0630-1830...12 hour days.

We are actually hiring right now if you want to give me a PM I can tell you more.

*The firefighter comment was dead on too. Everyone loves them and they clean their engines ALL DAY!

5. Jul 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    Teniente

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    RECONSIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get yourself a good financial advisor, sock away as much $$$ as you can, and as soon as you can, RETIRE.

There is life after law enforcement!!!!!!........I know :D

6. Jul 22, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4

x2

i love having the guys who'll fight with anyone anytime on my squad...but me personally...i'd much rather talk someone into cuffs than have to fight with them

7. Jul 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    Jay9722

Jay9722 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    South carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Access Cab 4wd
    I have a great portfolio and have planned for retirement at 50 for quite a long time. Money isn't the issue at all...I just miss being a cop, a city cop. I will still want to work after I retire from Uncle Sugar.

8. Jul 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    Teniente

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Jay

I admire your work ethic, but at 50, it's time to go out and either do something different or go have some fun (and I don't mean MORE LE work).

There is a whole other life out there besides police work........been there, done that. Enjoying your retirement should be #1 on the list!!!!

I cannot believe how busy I (we, actually) am now that I'm (we are) retired. Having a blast and not looking back.

9. Jul 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TRD-OR - Traded In on a Ridgeline
    Finally, got my "first 4x4" in a Tacoma. Barcelona Red w/ JBL & Entune - Then traded it in on a Ridgeline.

I have several buddies that are LEOs (some in early 40s) and are always saying ... "it's a young man's game on these foot chases". :eek:

EDIT ... I believe that Atlanta has lowered it's retirement from 3% per year (10 year minimum to be vested) to 2 1/2% per year ... and they are pushing more to 401Ks too.

10. Jul 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    ProComp 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Dynomax catback, Weathertech liners,Toyota bed mat, Silverstar Ultra's, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's,bedlights and other small stuff.
    I started my L.E. career at 25 after a few years in the military. I'm going on 8 years in the field and I still love it. I've seen older recruits and younger recruits come through. I've seen both fail and have seen both become Deputies that I depend on daily.

I'm not being negative when I say this so please don't take it as such. Do a ride along. See if this is really for you. This job is not for everyone, no matter the age or fitness level. There are many positive aspects of the job, but they go hand in hand with the negative's. Be real with yourself on how you can handle stress, multitasking, night's, going to court, getting complaints, having the mind set 24/7, fitness, etc.

There is a reason that this job is high risk.

If you find the answer is you still want to do it, good luck and give it hell. :)

11. Aug 25, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    05TacoSr5

05TacoSr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Edmond, OK
    Vehicle:
    Gone but not forgotten
    I was shocked at the age limits for OKCPD and OK Highway Patrol. I've been looking at other options with the draw down of the military. I went into the Air Force at 20 and I was teetering between the Air Force and Ohio State Patrol since the minimum age was 21. I know for a fact the age limit was 34 or 35 for Ohio and it's not even waiverable if you are/were military. When I looked into OKC, Edmond, and OHP their age limits were in the low 40s.

12. Aug 26, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
  13. Aug 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
  14. Aug 26, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Same boat. Electrician, now I want to be a fire fighter.

To Top