1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3k oil change or naw?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AsianAnts, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Mar 4, 2011 at 8:04 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts [OP] just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    just about hit my 3k mark.... should i do oil change or should i just wait and let the stealership do it for free at 5k?

-AnT

2. Mar 4, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
  3. Mar 4, 2011 at 8:08 PM
    TacoSport

TacoSport opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SSM Sport DCSB w/Tow
    I will doing it at 3k and using M1 EP and Toyo filter. I got the free oil change offer at 5k for 2 yrs but opting out.

4. Mar 4, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    even with alot of long distance driving?? every weekend since ive got it (dec 29) ive been driving from camp pendleton to el monte every weekend..lol..

5. Mar 4, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    TacoSport

TacoSport opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SSM Sport DCSB w/Tow
    how so? did you get an oil test at your first 5k change?

For me, I can hear my valve train ticking at 2200 miles and did not like the sound of the crank sticking when starting it up at 15 degree this am. The 4runner with close to 90k on the clock is much quieter and been running the M1 EP since 20k.

6. Mar 4, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    KENNY

KENNY Well-Known Member

Member:
    I was curious myself about this as I just hit 3k, and was wanting to switch over to 5w30 syn.. Even though the dealership offers this (Mine only says rotation at 5k, oil starting at 10) I also heard they charge extra for fully synthetic under this, so why bother for a few bucks

7. Mar 4, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    bigstik

bigstik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Terry, MT
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Debadged, Silver
    Smoked fog and tail lights, blue map and dome lights, gauge color change, stereo color change, aftermarket headlights (halos) (HID upgrade), satoshi grille mod, WickedFlow Max 13sc250 muffler, ultragauge. 3" rear 2.5" frnt lift/level kit.
    Honestly, I try changin my oil every 2k. It doesn't just depend soley on the oil and filter you use but also your driving habits. Granted the oil now is better than it used to be, but if your driving in some pretty harsh and dirty conditions, then it doesnt hurt to change it a little more frequently. Personally I'd rather change it a little before it was due then way after. Fresh oil doesn't ruin an engine... Just my opnion

8. Mar 4, 2011 at 8:49 PM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    my driving conditions is just regular road and freeway.. not too dirty but long distance almost every weekend.

9. Mar 4, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    bigstik

bigstik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Terry, MT
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Debadged, Silver
    Smoked fog and tail lights, blue map and dome lights, gauge color change, stereo color change, aftermarket headlights (halos) (HID upgrade), satoshi grille mod, WickedFlow Max 13sc250 muffler, ultragauge. 3" rear 2.5" frnt lift/level kit.
    Personally, I would do it around 2-3k. But then again thats how I was raised. I would say you should be alright waitin the whole 5k.

10. Mar 4, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    as mentioned, wait until 5k, as that is the factory interval. save the money that you'd spend changing the oil early, change the oil at 5k with the high quality of your choice (ie redline, amsoil, etc), and at 10k get an oil analysis to see if you can go even further than 5k per change. why would you want to go further? because you potentially can without hurting a thing, all while saving money and not wasting time or oil. it just depends on what the analysis says...otherwise stick to factory interval.

11. Mar 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    dealership let you choose oil?? or am i interpreting that wrong lol

12. Mar 4, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    well, either way, if you do it or if the dealership does it. but the core of what i'm saying is running a high quality oil and then getting an analysis might yield the fact that you can go quite long on intervals.

but yes, at least the dealership local to me will change the oil with your oil. i don't use them, but i know they do as my friend has done it several times with his trucks under toyota care. seems dumb to me, really, but to each his own ; )

13. Mar 5, 2011 at 12:06 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Every 5k is fine, anything sooner is a waste of time and oil.

14. Mar 5, 2011 at 12:38 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    why not change the transmission and or differental oil at 3K?
    I have a theory on that!
    In the trans and diff gears cut and grind a little as part of normal break in and those metal particales are floating around in the oil, so when its done breaking in the gears don't cut and grind anymore, so at the right time change the trans and diiff oils to drain out and remove the metal particals and when you add the new oils you won't get anymore metal particals cause its done brealing in, and only do that ONCE for the life of the vehicle, but do it at the right time!

15. Mar 5, 2011 at 12:42 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I'll just stick to Toyota's recommended intervals , I think maybe their engineers spent a bit more time on this than you BS .

Sorry , BartStar , do you mind if I call you BS ?

16. Mar 5, 2011 at 1:15 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    For once i agree with you...lol

what you said is why i changed all my oil, every drop in the whole truck at the first 3,000, as per my fathers recommendation, he is a mech engineer and machinist making much more refined, critical things than our trucks and he was right... then i have gone to toyota recommendation after that. I was amazed at the amount of metal on the magnetic drain plugs, nothing major, just from breakin. I changed it again at 30k and it was super clean. The first 3k on a truck is pretty crucial never hurts to be cautious. But after that you can go 5-10k per change if using quality oil and filter

17. Mar 5, 2011 at 2:00 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    Mr. Yoytoda. Thank You for agreeing with me!
    The old fashioned basic rule is "Changing Oil Is Your Cheapest and Best Form of Maintence"

Now if I can convince everybody how a engine oil filter is more important than the oil I will gain the trust of most people in this forum.
    I LOVE to learn and listen to other people's past experiences and I just want to help by sharing my past experiences.
    Yes, I have seen the same thing in the past with heavy metal particals in the diff oil and changing axle seals that I can see little metal particals stuck to the seals.

Thank You

18. Mar 5, 2011 at 4:10 AM
    BH15001

BH15001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC LB SR5
    I did my first change at 3K after that 5K for routine commuting unless you are doing something out of the ordinary with the truck like heavy towing ,hauling or you see lots of dust and sand. My reasoning is that initially a new engine has a lot of wear surfaces that will lap in and generate more debris than usual in the oil.

19. Mar 5, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    exactly. And dont let anyone tell you "well these new modern machining processes are so much cleaner"

I trust my father, as most of us do. But hes a mech engineer that has done work for GE, GM, and other companies. He works hands on as a machinist developing new machining processes and knows the importance of proper break in. One of the things he was doing for GE is to develop a way to machine parts to have less of a break in for turbines. Not possible. Lapping parts creates contamination of oil, period. His work for GM was to help develop a way to break in engines on the assembly line. They can, but only on select engines because it is costly and time consuming. Corvettes, some cadillacs, and new camaros are factory broken in and come with mobil 1 from the factory.

They also discovered that synthetic oil lubricates to well for proper break in and you should run at least 3k on a car with dino oil before switching to synthetic.

20. Mar 5, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    Long distance highway driving is easier on your engine than stop and go city driving. Relatively low RPM and fuel consumption on the highway. You will get alot more "running hours/mile" (hours running at a specific RPM) driving in the city than you will on the highway. Follow Toyotas direction. It's been working for a long time.

Products Discussed in

To Top