1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Brake Light Color Change

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by MJonesTrumpet, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Sep 9, 2010 at 5:08 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

MJonesTrumpet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Ok, so I've searched for about 2 hours now (but maybe I'm not searching under the right wording) but I'd like to know if its possible, to change the color of the 3rd brake light...Has anyone done? Anyone tried to? I'd like to, but before I go ripping things out and fiddling with things, I'd like to know if its even possible or not...lol

I found an aftermarket LED 3rd brake light, barumda or something. But I've read its pretty crappy and the LEDs go out fairly quickly. I am trying to make my brake light green, I am getting a sockmonkey cover for it. Any ideas?

2. Sep 9, 2010 at 1:10 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    slightly not legal...but whatever.

You'd have to get a clear cover and then whatever color bulbs/led's you want to put in.

Don't expect the local authorities to let you keep it on there long.

3. Sep 9, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2. Do what he said. Or get a clear cover and get that spray tint crap and spray the inside of the lens whatever color you want. (Search lamin-x, someone posted the DIY, I think the thread is named "Yellow fogs don't want to pay for lamin-x)

4. Sep 9, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Hmmm thanks. I looked in PA auto laws...and...it didnt specifically say it was illegal...but it was so vague, I guess it was left up to interpretation. I'll do some more research on that before I start this...im not going to put all this work into it and then have to take it out. Thanks guys!

5. Sep 9, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    meckleystephen

meckleystephen My Taco is Bi-Winning!!!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
    3 Inch Toytec lift,Blacked out badges
    being from PA and knowing how stupid are laws are, I would have to say its probally really illegal. cool idea though

6. Sep 9, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Yeah...you're probably right...my neighbor is a state cop, and my mom babysits his kids, maybe I'll ask him next time I see him.

7. Sep 9, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You might get away with it. In NY, the different colors couldn't be forward facing and they're very clear on emergency vehicle colors (red and blue). Green, rear facing lights, you probably won't find a definitive answer on in the law books. Even if it's not technically illegal, it'll draw attention to you and possibly give them a reason to pull you over and take a look.

8. Sep 9, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Hm, thats a good point. I'll keep checking and find out what I can. I got a 3rd brake light decal from sockmonkey...you'd think if changing the lights would be illegal, putting a decal on top of it, would also be illegal...ill ask my state cop neighbor, though he will probably say exactly what you guys said...that its not nessisarly illegal...its going to draw much unwanted attention to me. Technically, under some stupid random pa law, my light bar on the front of my truck is illegal, you cant have more than one set of fog and aux lights. and if you have them, they are to be wired with your headlights...mine aren't, I don't want to splice into wires, id rather have a button to controll them. Oh well. I'll keep looking!

9. Sep 9, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Not sure about PA, But In CA I can guarantee you this is illegal and probably is in PA too. Brake lights are supposed to be red. Even the decal is technically Illegal, but probably not enforced as much. A license plate frame is technically illegal. I bet you get a ticket in short order if you change it to green.

10. Sep 9, 2010 at 3:15 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Yeah, you are probably right. Technically, as I'm reading it...the 3rd brake light, is not a tail light, and in turn, is not a brake light. However, having it green, and saying GEEK, will draw the wrong kind of attention, maybe I'll just stick with red for that...

Unless I can rewire it, so that it no longer functions as a brake light, but have it come on when I turn my headlights on...thats a though...I wish the laws were not so vague and non-specific...I feel that do that, so that they can interpret them any way they want...boo to that...

11. Sep 9, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    The third brake light is a federally mandated device on all vehicles since the 80s if I remember correctly. Disabling it as a brake light will get you ticketed just as fast.

Edit: I did some research. The requirement to have a third brake light varies from state to state. It is only federally mandated that the vehicle has a third brake light when sold. California vehicle code only requires 2 brake lights. one left and one right.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=24001-25000&file=24600-24617

12. Sep 9, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    oh wow. Hm, ill check for PA. Im surprised CA only requires two...you guys have like laws coming out the wazzoo...I may just give up on this...unless I can find that PA only requires 2 brake lights, left and right. Thanks for the info! I'll definately look to see what PA says!

Products Discussed in

To Top