1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen Amplifier Mounting Locations - a PSA

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by CoastieRon, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Sep 14, 2020 at 6:23 AM
    CoastieRon

CoastieRon [OP] Hammocking Fool

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Nashua
    Vehicle:
    Lil' Silver
    Too much.
    I'm sure this has been gone over before, but I just want to reiterate - when choosing to mount your amp on the back wall behind the rear seats/bench/whatever - please be ask yourself the following questions:

1. Has your third brake light leaked yet?
    2. Have you sealed your third brake light? Regardless if it has been replaced or not.
    3. Do you have a plan to not forget your rear window open?
    I point out the issues because I have fried an amp twice (almost 3 times) - twice due to me forgetting the rear window open, and almost once due to the third brake light.

My original amp location was right under the rear window:

Arc Audio:

Arc Audio location 1.jpg

I left the rear window open while test driving a car with my son, and it rained. Amp stopped working, so I shipped it out to Arc Audio to repair. It's fine now, but in my son's Volvo.

AudioControl:

When I shipped out the Arc for repairs, I bought an AudioControl LC-6.1200. Easily the best amp I have ever owned. But I put it in the same location as the Arc:

ArcAudio location 1.jpg

And forgot the rear window open. So I had to send the AudioControl back for servicing as well.

Taking the opportunity to reconfigure behind the seats, as well as order a new box from Mr. Marv, with a 12" sub, I went to work moving the amp rack over to behind the passenger rear seat:

AudioControl position 2.jpg

And then we had rain. Heavy ass rain. My truck had all the windows closed, and I discovered this:

rain 8.jpg
    rain 2.jpg

rain 7.jpg

I had left the truck outside because the wife and I were watching the rain from the garage - it had been a while - NH was in a drought. So I pulled it in and removed the amp right away. Called AudioControl - and Josh (we're on a first name basis now) told me as long as it did not power up while wet, to just let it dry out for a few days.

I had the third brake light repaired (out of pocket because my roof had been vinyled by a third party vendor) - then reinstalled the amp, and it powered right up (after three days drying in front of a fan)

Anyway, before installing your amp on the back wall - please be sure you have a plan in place for water damage mitigation!

thebaker likes this.
  2. Sep 15, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    Tacospike

Tacospike Semi-Unknown Custodial Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
    Good advise

CoastieRon[OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 16, 2020 at 11:19 AM
    JP3

JP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JP
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 /DCLB /MGM//////B7 Audi RS4
    285/70/17 Falken WildPeak on Stealth 6 Eibach Lift
    Good to know! I am in the process of doing a subwoofer install on my truck now. I will have to keep an eye out. Not sure if the 3rd brake light issue has been resolved for 2020 models. Hello from NH:cheers:

CoastieRon[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top