1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd gen audio build - Joying tacoma headunit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 5nahalf, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Jan 10, 2020 at 4:57 PM
    JFriday1

JFriday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco TRD-Sport
    Mobile Mechanic in Denver Insta - "Jfriday123"
    I havent been able to change that either.

2. Jan 10, 2020 at 9:01 PM
    5nahalf

5nahalf [OP] I build dumb things

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed

There is a mic on the front of the unit, its on the top left marked with a microphone icon.

As for changing celsius to fahrenheit, ive not been able to either, but if you want to get rid of the ? in the box next to the temperature, you can do it by putting a old cell phone sim card in.

3. Jan 14, 2020 at 4:38 PM
    lilmike

lilmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD OR DC SB
    vFTuned, Android, MESO Stuff
    Quick update: It's alive! Got it working with Joying's help. Seems like everything works, I tried the steering wheel controls, door indicators, and backup camera.

Just wanted to make it clear that Joying does have a harness available for the 2020s and that Canbus and OE integration seem to work well.

Did not do the complete installation yet (wanted to verify that it worked before ordering my amp). I did find a "units" setting somewhere and was able to get the temp as F.

4. Jan 15, 2020 at 2:58 PM
    TheCochese

TheCochese The Bronze T4R OG

Member:
    Attempting to flee the south
    Vehicle:
    Cavalry Blue soccer machine
    Fine corinthian leather
    This thread has just about convinced me to order one. I think I'm between this one and the Dasaita one, and I like that neither of them have any crappy branding.

One question I have is using Siri for calls and texts. With my Pioneer unit, I can hold the home button on the screen and bring up Siri for voice assist. Does this work here as well? And for someone who primarily uses CarPlay, how do you like the functionality compared to a traditional head unit? Particularly, things like Waze and CarPlay audio apps.

I'm sure I'll also use the Android side of things, but that would be my main use.

5. Jan 18, 2020 at 6:52 PM
    raykru

raykru Well-Known Member

Member:
    CLE
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement TRD Pro
    I use only CarPlay. It takes a handful of seconds to start up wireless haven't really tested tethered. If you push the home button on CarPlay it will bring up Siri like all the others. For $300ish, its exactly what I was looking for. If you are on the phone before starting the car, it will go right to the built in Android Bluetooth phone and will not go to CarPlay I found, but that is rare that would happen for me. Overall not bad.

TheCochese[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jan 18, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    I went with the Joying and hopefully it will be here Thursday. I also ordered the GPS adapter, unknown when that will arrive. My brackets are already here, just need to find exactly where to trim. I’m excited.

raykru[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 21, 2020 at 10:07 PM
    tigertownalum

tigertownalum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    G-Vegas, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB Inferno
    Has anyone looked into the 10" Joying units? I know that car audio has notoriously been behind the curve when it comes to resolution, but the HD (720p) 10" versions are very appealing. Obviously, with the size of the openings in our Tacomas, this would be one of the floating units; but I love the idea of the big screen and the factor that may sell me would be the 720p.

With that being said, the 9" versions that everyone is citing on this great thread certainly utilize the "Factory" look. Certainly something to be said for that.

I've searched TacomaWorld, but haven't seen anyone opt for the 10" option. Assuming that the ability to utilize a "Camry" version would result in Plug-n-Play...
    https://www.joyingauto.com/2015-201...-screen-android-8-1-0-car-stereo-upgrade.html

Anyone have any thoughts?

8. Jan 22, 2020 at 12:39 PM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    OK, I've got it in and mostly set up at this point. It's pretty damn good for the price point, and looks factory. I did order the Scosche brackets and attempted to trim one. I unwisely decided to do this on my miter saw with a metal cutting blade. The blade caught and ripped the bracket back and completely tore off one of the fence wings while severely disfiguring the bracket. Thankfully I was not injured. I decided I would make do with the stock brackets at that point.:D

raykru likes this.
  9. Jan 22, 2020 at 5:21 PM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    Some teething problems thus far, they could be not solvable or they could be.
    • Volume control works, but up and down (forward and back) do not. Cannot learn buttons dues to canbus.
    • Hard to switch between CarPlay and getting data to unit via tethering. Wants to keep switching back to zlink app and not stick. Can't do CarPlay and tether data at same time.
    • I at some point was able to switch what the home button went into a launcher, but now cannot. I'll keep messing around with it.
    • When you open and close doors, it shows on the head unit. But the rear doors are reversed. Can't find a setting on that.
    • Did anyone select a different can in the menus? Apparently it gives you a different car selection, but I don't know which one is correct for the truck.
    I'll have more to say on it in a couple days, but if anyone is familiar with any of this please let me know.

10. Jan 22, 2020 at 5:23 PM
    5nahalf

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed

I think I used 2013, toyota, then the generic model, but I think rav4 works also.

As for the doors thing, you can shut that off in the settings. You can also tell the home button what to do in the settings.

11. Jan 22, 2020 at 6:00 PM
    raykru

raykru Well-Known Member

Member:
    CLE
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement TRD Pro
    Mine worked right out the gate. See picture. One thing I can’t figure out is the volume is crazy. I don’t go over 6 it’s super loud. For the rear door reversal turn off the rear door exchange in factory settings and go to original car agreement. Panel key learning is what you may have used for the home

29E21AEC-3979-4E2D-A1B6-267F4E1D8CB8.jpg

12. Jan 22, 2020 at 7:01 PM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    There are so many settings that they may have started running together. I will reassess in the morning. Thanks for the assistance thus far.

The other thing I can say is that the wiring was fairly straightforward but I had at least two connectors on the Joying harness that didn’t have anything to connect to.

Did play some SSG3 in the driveway.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    raykru likes this.
  13. Jan 22, 2020 at 7:33 PM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    Oh yeah, one other strange thing: it seems like the polarization filter isn’t installed correctly. Wearing polarized shades, the screen is very dim unless I rotate my head. It should be the opposite. The screen does appear a touch more bright if I am directly in front of it, but obviously I can’t do that while driving. I don’t know if this is a defect or a quirk.

14. Jan 23, 2020 at 11:16 AM
    5nahalf

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    When I first installed mine, I had not yet run the wires for my rear speakers, so I had just plugged it into the factory harness and used the headunit for the rear speaker, and my amps for the front speakers. That was my first complaint about the unit is its loud as hell when using its built in amp. Its toned way down since I am using amps for all the speakers.

15. Jan 23, 2020 at 11:19 AM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    Any issue using polarized sunglasses? That's about my only real big complaint at this point. I fixed the rear door reversal (I forgot there was ANOTHER settings menu under Factory, it's the first option), fixed the launcher behavior, etc. Since you can't use wireless CarPlay and have data on the head unit, I'm considering putting a SIM in it because no one calls my work line anyway.

Will need to order another set of Scosche brackets since I mangled one. Will have to post a pic of it and the damage it did.

16. Jan 23, 2020 at 11:21 AM
    5nahalf

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed

I dont wear sunglasses, so no experience with that.

17. Jan 23, 2020 at 11:41 AM
    cruxx

cruxx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Huy
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
    Was able to fit a 10” amp and keep the driver26F4027A-9F33-4D32-B319-E719CC4D0488.jpg side storage bin

18. Jan 23, 2020 at 12:32 PM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    Dang. Feels like the polarizer is rotated 90° of where it should be. I don't really want to, but guess I'll have to get some regular sunglasses.

Also, if anyone gets the opportunity can they show where they cut the brackets? I'd also be interested in where the brackets are grabbing the factory screw locations. Thanks.

19. Jan 23, 2020 at 12:44 PM
    cruxx

cruxx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Huy
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
    For a few of your points. Theresis a setting to reverse your buttons. There is also a setting to set you default launcher. In order to use both carplay and tethering, you will need a wireless car dongle. It is because they are both trying to use the bluetooth connection, so it kicks you off one or the other. The dongle will make a wifi connection for tethering allowing carplay to remain on bluetooth. Its also a diffetent app...Autokit...but way smoother and connects faster. The dongle eliminates this problem. There is a setting to reverse doors

20. Jan 23, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    Switching the forward/reverse was one of the last things, thanks.

So what I understand about wireless CarPlay is that it handshakes with BT, but then moves to WiFi for transferring data because BT can't handle the video transfer. Looks like wireless dongles are about $80, it's probably just easier for me to take out one of my sim cards and use it for the car - I did this awhile back on a spare Moto E4 when Waze wasn't available yet. No one from work calls me anyway.

Products Discussed in

To Top