1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen HID vs LED vs Halogen H11 projector headlights

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by crashnburn80, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Nov 19, 2019 at 9:30 AM
    Tullie D

Tullie D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tullie
    Wilson, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 V6 SSM Access Cab
    ProComp 9911's on my 2007 Colorado. They're 9 inch reflectors with 55 watt H11 bulbs. BRIGHT !!

2. Nov 19, 2019 at 11:04 AM
    KevC

KevC Well-Known Member

Member:
    The testing you did was on the latest design correct? Can you provide a link? I've been looking for them but when I compare with your pictures they look slightly different.

3. Nov 19, 2019 at 3:37 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Yup, I was running Cibie Z Beams way back in 1978. I should have kept them when I sold the car. They're worth good money these days!

crashnburn80 [OP] likes this.
  4. Nov 19, 2019 at 6:58 PM
    davidstacoma

davidstacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR Access cab - Utility
    *OEM Mods: Intermittent wipers, Fogs, Keyless Entry
    Well I'm sure that you're right as far as my 2019 goes and likely other Tacoma generations H9 to H11 low beam conversions. The H9's large metal tab has an offset that's opposite of the offset of the H11's large tab. I've read here of someone managing to get one in but it sounded forced, which means you're having to cock either the large tab or the smaller tabs and force it into the socket (probably bending the tab and cutting into the cast aluminum socket housing in my 2019). The difference in the metal tab offset is quite obvious in this video at 3:39 and clearly shows why the H9 tab should be trimmed at the side with the thinner metal before trying to insert into the H11 low beam socket:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY1kaMRVz8o&t=219s

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  5. Nov 19, 2019 at 7:33 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    I'm chomping at the bit to see these results, especially compared to other options out there. I've got the Xtravision +100, but I'm saving pennies and dimes for the OEM HID, because I'm a silly ricer at heart and like the LED look, but I'm curious to see what they actually can do.

6. Nov 19, 2019 at 7:38 PM
    abhamber

abhamber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aman
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 BBP Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB
    Installed! Decided to go with the Hyluxtek 35W kit with Morimoto 5500k bulbs - and what a difference! I was previously running XD LEDs, and while I was initially impressed, the lack of throw became pretty evident when I was driving on country roads and there wasn't any ambient light (street lights etc).

I was initially hesitant about the additional wiring, but honestly, the biggest concern isn't the installation, because everything is labelled pretty well and is essentially plug and play - making everything look nice and clean is the most time consuming part!

I still worry about longterm reliability, I'm using the optional relay harness, but I still worry about a ballast or bulb going out at the wrong time (I'm kept my old halogens as a backup).

If you decide to go with the 35w Hyluxtek kit from TRS, be warned they use an integrated Canbus error canceller, which also has be mounted or zip tied somewhere. Using a Canbus error canceller on a non-canbus vehicle hasn't caused any negative effects (yet).

Honestly, LEDS look nice, but as @crashnburn80 has proved with data, the lack of focus and projection distance is a very real thing. My distance projection has improved by at least 2 - 3 times.

**Drone shots comparing Leds and Hids to follow when it stops snowing**

Fog lights are KC Gravity G4's
    20191118_132743.jpg 20191118_132732.jpg 20191119_180140.jpg 20191118_194720.jpg

7. Nov 19, 2019 at 10:19 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Looking forward to output pics. Drone shots are EXACTLY what this thread is missing.

abhamber likes this.
  8. Nov 19, 2019 at 10:37 PM
    SRBenjamin

SRBenjamin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benny
  9. Nov 19, 2019 at 11:08 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    Go Hawks!
    I am always baffled when 'professionals' use the wrong equipment to measure their products output and provide inaccurate and misleading test results. The meter used in that video is a halogen meter and will not accurately measure LED or HID light output and will not provide an accurate comparison across the light source technologies. And no reputable lighting company should recommend a 55w HID kit in a halogen housing.

Here are posts where I have addressed this meter issue before with other lighting companies in greater detail.

10. Nov 19, 2019 at 11:20 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    Go Hawks!
    Hikari Ultra "Eyes of Megatron" H11/H9 LEDs
    See the original review in post #1608 here.
    Amazon link here:

[​IMG]

$90 HIKARI Ultra LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -H11(H8,H9), Prime LED 12000lm 6K Cool White

Edit: Yes, this is the latest design at this time.

11. Nov 19, 2019 at 11:57 PM
    Sasquatchian

Sasquatchian Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think you're using the term professional pretty loosely here. What do you expect when someone wants to spend fifty bucks on a really cheap Chinese POS meter with no published specs at all. Well, to be fair, it's $58 on Amazon. But there's so much else wrong with the video and the presentation that it's a waste of time to watch it at all, but all too many do and think they're getting good info. No comment at all about the gi-normous shadows produces by the HID's he "tested", if you can call it that. I guess anyone can buy and light meter and call themselves a pro now. The same way everyone with an iPhone does for photography. Oh, maybe they are.

12. Nov 20, 2019 at 3:36 AM
    gurneyeagle

gurneyeagle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint Augustine, FL/Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma SR5, 2018 Audi TT RS, 2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road (Cement), 2019 MDX
    It seems to be a recurring theme lately - dispute the science presented here because:
    • it doesn't jive with the desire to put in LED's - "Love the color and brightness"
    • "I'm too busy to read the entire thread". More like - I don't understand the information presented so it must be wrong.
    Some of these posts seem like material from Jeff Foxworthy - "If - fill in the blank -, you might be a red-neck....."

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  13. Nov 20, 2019 at 4:09 AM
    Garab

Garab Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport MT6 DCSB
    OVtune 2.0 TRD Sema wheels 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT/3 SL ADM BAKflip mx4
    Headlight Revolution is full of crap. I dont give them any credibility in their biased poorly conducted testing. Theyre clearly just trying to sell you a product.

You'll find that you're wasting your breath on deaf ears around here.

xxTacocaTxx, gurneyeagle and Tullie D like this.
  14. Nov 20, 2019 at 5:20 AM
    johnnyroid

johnnyroid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vine Grove (Fort Knox) Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma Sport TRD
    I think you're on to something. I felt the same way about LED's initially ("I like the brightness and they match my DRL, and they look cool as opposed to halogens"), until I dug through this thread looking for the best LED option to replace halogens. OP, through his exhaustive research (and for that we/I thank you), has overwhelmingly changed my opinion, so while I love how LEDs "look", I'm much more concerned with actual light output in a practical sense (They're not for looks, rather for function). Now I take notice of other vehicles on the road who have obviously replaced OEM bulbs with some LED solution that looks bright as opposed to throwing brightness at a distance, and think of this thread. Same phenomenon as purchasing a new vehicle, and subconsciously taking notice of the number of the same model on the road as they travel.

15. Nov 20, 2019 at 7:50 AM
    MarkMN

MarkMN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Central Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black Tacoma TRD OR DCLB
    I was wondering about LED's myself, and have been following this thread closely. My wife just got a 2020 Rav4 with LED headlights. While they look bright from the front, when you're behind the wheel they aren't anything special. The LED's wash out the colors of everything and there isn't as much definition. I prefer the GE +130's I have in my 2019 Tacoma now, much more definition in colors. Comparing the throw and all would be like apples and oranges with them being different vehicles, but I don't want LED headlights now.

MiTacoTRD and Tullie D like this.
  16. Nov 20, 2019 at 8:04 AM
    Sasquatchian

Member:
    The 2020 RAV4 LED's got a Poor or Marginal rating on the IIHS tests, but since they do NOT check for aim for their tests, it's impossible to know if those low ratings are from the design of the lights or from poor aim. And these are not identical lights between the RAV and the Tacoma, it's not a save bet to assume they perform identically. Maybe it's possible to "downgrade" to the halogen projectors in the RAV, if they haven't changed the form factor.

17. Nov 20, 2019 at 8:32 AM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner TRD OffRoad DCSB
    They don't check for aim... Nor should they in my humble opinion. Manufacturers should be judged on the product based on the condition it is being sold to the public in.

Tested the H9s and it is noticeably brighter. It's easier to see the cutoff now and the lower than ideal aim (probably to be able to add weight in the bed). I'm leaving the aim stock for now as I may lift/level the truck in the future. Or my rear springs may naturally sag and adjust for me!

Thanks Crash!

xxTacocaTxx and Tullie D like this.
  18. Nov 20, 2019 at 9:00 AM
    Sasquatchian

Member:
    If you're testing headlight performance, then the first thing you have to do is check for aim. If you don't check for aim, all you're doing is checking the quality of the manufacturing process and on particular part that is quite variable. It's disingenuous to call it headlight performance without eliminating that crucial variable. And it IS headlight performance that they claim to be representing. And to further confuse the issue and to underscore my point, you can go through their ratings and find wildly different performance ratings for the exact same model lights, only in different trim levels of the same cars. Which one do you believe? That's why you need to start from a level playing field. It's a fatal flaw in their methodology.

xxTacocaTxx and gurneyeagle like this.
  19. Nov 20, 2019 at 9:56 AM
    SRBenjamin

SRBenjamin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benny
    Well I dug up my light meter, and sure enough there's less light coming from the three types of LED's I tried. They look cool, but an H9 in the H11 projector is more than
    twice as bright than any of the LED's.
    I'll be waiting a couple of more years to see if LED's will improve further.

Too bad. On my Scion Xb, the Philips LED H4's were much brighter than stock, and had a good pattern.

My meter (Sper Scientific 840022) does correctly read LED's.

Also, my stock aim points were way high. I adjusted to the E-code spec of
    10 meters with a 10cm drop.

20. Nov 20, 2019 at 3:58 PM
    MarkMN

MarkMN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Central Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black Tacoma TRD OR DCLB
    I was basically only comparing the light color itself and stated that in my post. Otherwise it's comparing apples and oranges (to dissimilar items).

They were poorly aimed when we got the car and I had to adjust them up a bit to illuminate the road to make them usable for driving. Again, I don't know if all 2020 Rav4's headlights are adjusted the same way from the factory, but these were aimed at a spot about 30' in front of the car.

I just don't care for the washed out look everything has from the LED's and am content with my halagens.

Tullie D likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top