1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen HID vs LED vs Halogen H11 projector headlights

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by crashnburn80, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Jan 10, 2020 at 12:09 PM
    pdxtaco02

pdxtaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport QS MT
    That's just my opinion though.

There's a lot of guys who are running LED bulbs and seem to be happy with them.

DWD484 likes this.
  2. Jan 10, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    DWD484

DWD484 Makes Sense

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Lou-Easy-Ana
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport DCSB - White
    I think that I forget.
    Yeah, there are lots of people who do lots of things for lots of reasons, even tho an LED will never be better than a halogen in this configuration. But like you said, as long as they're happy.

pdxtaco02 likes this.
  3. Jan 10, 2020 at 12:21 PM
    BadDogMax

BadDogMax Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    19 TuRD Pro
    Very nice!

At the risk of boring those who are here for the Tacoma content, here are some enginerd thoughts:

The success of any high performance, value engineered design is always in the details. Overkill is an easier way to solve a problem, but won't sell on Amazon. How close to the limits can the engineer get and still be cost effective?

Pretending to be that engineer, armed with little knowledge but lots of Google:

<start pure speculation>

- Hikari Ultra is using Lumileds, which is a reputable OEM mfg of lighting. Specs for the LUXEON F headlight LED I found online show Tcase is 130C, which I think means that the LED top surface can be up to 130C without failure. Even if the heat sink design is inefficient, as long as it is efficient enough to keep the top of the LED below 130C it's good enough.

- The LUXEON F in the online spec has a dedicated thermal pad. So if the pad is bonded to the heat sink, it eliminates the thermally lossy PCB of an ordinary SMD LED.

- The thermally conductive body of the Hikari appears to be anodized aluminum, not plastic. Aluminum is a good, inexpensive thermal conductor.

- Active cooling using a fan makes the heat sink a lot more efficient than passive cooling.

How close did the real engineers get to the limits? The bulbs have 11% 1 star reviews on Amazon. About half of those are from people dissatisfied with the light output (on lots of different vehicles - we know they work OK in Tacoma projectors thanks to Crashburn80). The other half of the reviews are from people who had the lights fail after a few months.

Of those failures, you have to wonder about the percentage that are thermal failure vs other failures:

- Some have failed because the installer left the driver box flapping in the breeze, hanging only by the cable, and the wires broke
    - Some have failed because the heat sink is trapped inside of a small enclosure created behind a rubber splash guard and it ends up simply recirculating the same hot air and overheating
    - Some have failed because there is no splash guard (like Tacoma) and dirt can get into the fan and stop it
    - Some have failed from poor installation of the LED onto the heat sink (poor factory QC)
    - Some have failed from poor thermal design. Perhaps the cooling system is not efficient enough when ambient temp is extra hot, or some LED's fail on on the low side of the max temp specification.

Let's assume that 33% of the 1 star reviews are failures from poor thermal design. Not OEM quality for sure, but is a 97% success rate acceptable for an under $100 Amazon product? Just barely, but perhaps. The engineers of this product cut the design of these REALLY close to the acceptable limits!

<end pure speculation>

pdxtaco02 and TacoFergie like this.
  4. Jan 10, 2020 at 12:27 PM
    TacoFergie

TacoFergie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Iowa
    The Fusion has the OEM headlights, Hella based projector. The H9 did improve it, but not enough for me. Had good throw but almost no width. That was what got me into retrofitting and automotive lighting in general. The EVOX-R projector is a great bolt in improvement but still lacks width compared to other projectors available.

I hope that someone is able to crack the code for the charging system. That would be really good for the 3rd gen guys!

5. Jan 10, 2020 at 3:27 PM
    pdxtaco02

pdxtaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport QS MT

Can't argue with any of that! Your speculation and logic is solid.

I just think with all that considered it's not the best choice compared to the $20 tried and true halogens

That being said, we're talking about headlight bulbs here...If you buy something and you're happy with it, then its all good.

Tullie D and CaliTaco718 like this.
  6. Jan 10, 2020 at 7:27 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    Go Hawks!
    While not ideal for an LED, these are design constraints imposed by trying to retrofit an LED to mimic a halogen, as @Sasquatchian stated. If you spaced the LEDs further apart, they would not replicate a halogen and performance would be poor/awful, meaning they must be very close together. The heat sink really needs to be outside the optical assembly to not obstruct the optics and provide best cooling, meaning it is far away from the emitters. Fans do try to compensate the cooling efficiency, but have their own issues with noise and reliability in an off road pickup exposed to the elements. Starting from scratch and designing an LED headlight (or any light) around the LED is a vastly superior approach than trying to design an LED around a halogen optical lamp design and environment.

7. Jan 11, 2020 at 4:37 AM
    CB3TACO

CB3TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Connecticut
    2nd Gen DCLB SOLD 3rd Gen SW DCLB OFFROAD
    Had my Hikaris for a while now in the fog and headlights and I love them. I can visually tell light concentration seems to be less but the color makes it seem better imo.

Rockoma5 and CaliTaco718 like this.
  8. Jan 11, 2020 at 7:48 AM
    Joe671

Joe671 YouTube Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Like the 737 Max. Ohhhhhh i'm kidding i'm kidding.

If they knock off another $20 though, i'm in.

BadDogMax likes this.
  9. Jan 11, 2020 at 7:49 AM
    xxTacocaTxx

xxTacocaTxx Well Unknown Member

Member:
    ThreeOhThree.co
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCLB 4x4 OMGWTFLOLBBQ
    RCI skid plates Mobtown sliders Lots of patches MESO Ultimate Turns, LED map and dome light, and Total Tail stage 2
    Please don't drive towards me, my old eyes can't take that glare.

10. Jan 11, 2020 at 10:58 AM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    Go Hawks!
    Replacement LEDs in the OEM halogen fog reflectors will cause some pretty awful glare to oncoming drivers. I'd instead recommend an actual SAE compliant and legal fog from this thread:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-led-sae-j583-fog-pod-fog-light-review.554813/

11. Jan 11, 2020 at 11:56 AM
    Boghog1

Boghog1 Jack of all trades, master of none.

Member:
    Southern, NH
    Vehicle:
    2019 AC V6 4x4 SR
    or just use the fog lights when it is actually foggy

12. Jan 11, 2020 at 1:12 PM
    CB3TACO

CB3TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Connecticut
    2nd Gen DCLB SOLD 3rd Gen SW DCLB OFFROAD
    El Duderino likes this.
  13. Jan 11, 2020 at 11:14 PM

150k Member

Member:

https://www.fakespot.com/product/hi...-lumileds-12000lm-6k-cool-white-2-yr-warranty

• Our engine has detected that Amazon has altered, modified or removed reviews from this listing. We approximate total reviews altered up to 2011.
    • Our engine has analyzed and discovered that 68.3% of the reviews are reliable.

Amazon eventually gets around to deleting "fake"/paid-for/shill reviews, hence the "2011" removed reviews.

BadDogMax likes this.
  14. Jan 11, 2020 at 11:28 PM
    Panchovilla6192002

Panchovilla6192002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue TRD SPORT 4X4 DCSB MT
    Finally installed the Philips H9. I’m satisfied with the extra light without spending too much money. Thanks

15. Jan 12, 2020 at 3:05 AM
    Rainoffire

Rainoffire Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCLB TRD Sport
    I do not know if this has been mentioned or has happened to anyone before, so I just want to share my experience.

I have been running Morimoto HIDs for the year or so, and have experienced the common HID shake that a lot of others have experienced on both driver and passenger side.

I got used to it, so it never bothered me too much.

However one day last month, I had this super crazy wobble on the driver side headlight.
    It was fine when driving on flat road, but would shake like crazy when I brake or hit a bump.
    It was a shake/wobble that threw the hotspot everywhere, and shake at stop.

I turned off my headlights at a stop, then on green turned them backed on.
    The crazy shake/wobble was gone, but the next weird thing is that my driver side light does not shake at all anymore.
    Speed bumps, uneven road, dirt road, etc. it does not shake, only the passenger side.

It has been about a month already, and it is just perfect. Other than the passenger side...

I do not want to take out HID to check what has occured, as I do not want to mess up what may be an accidental perfect state.

Can anyone else chime in on this? What may have cause the crazy shake, why turning on&off fixed it, and why their is no shake at all anymore.

16. Jan 12, 2020 at 7:20 AM
    CaliTaco718

CaliTaco718 Instagram: socalmike9000

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 MGM
    Interior LEDs - Fyre Fly Low Beam LEDs - Auxbeam F16
    I’m gonna stay halogen on fogs, maybe go for a cheap yellow halogen and somewhere down the line upgrade to a good aftermarket that works well. LED in fogs defeats the entire purpose of fog lights from what I understand.

17. Jan 12, 2020 at 8:27 AM
    BadDogMax

BadDogMax Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    19 TuRD Pro
    Sheesh. Everything is fake these days!

18. Jan 12, 2020 at 8:30 AM
    Tullie D

Tullie D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tullie
    Wilson, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 V6 SSM Access Cab
    Extang Encore, Bed lights, Grill lights, Flux Capacitor
    It all started with fake butter. :(

Toy_Runner likes this.
  19. Jan 12, 2020 at 3:36 PM
    Cwopinger

Cwopinger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand Tacoma OR DCLB
    @crashnburn80 first off let me thank you once again for the work you have put into this thread. My 54 year old eyes are enjoying the extra light the H9 low beam mod puts out.

I’m following several of your light threads and know I read in one of them about street legal driving beams, Hella 500/700 I believe. I like the idea of the driving lights to assist with the height beams on dark secondary roads and trails when arriving in camp after dark. The lamps will be mounted behind the grill on my 3rd gen as I don’t have a bull bar to mount them in front of the grill. Do you think this would cause shadows and a significant loss of light from the grill pattern? If so, any suggestions on how to mount them to the factory front bumper? Thanks in advance!

crashnburn80 [OP] and Tullie D like this.
  20. Jan 12, 2020 at 3:38 PM

150k Member

Member:
    I like the below bar better than the Hella 500s/700s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HvJwmXv54M

Weighs a little over a pound, 14 inches long, very easy to mount anywhere. I mounted it with sheet metal screws into a plastic bumper cover, drove 10,000 miles, didn't even loosen one bit.

This is the Hella 350, and it has a peak intensity of about 60,000 candela in the driving beam version. It is about the same as having a third stock high-beam lamp. There is a longer one with more output called the Hella 470.

Cwopinger likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top