1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen HID vs LED vs Halogen H11 projector headlights

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by crashnburn80, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Oct 8, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    CB3TACO

CB3TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Connecticut
    2nd Gen DCLB SOLD 3rd Gen SW DCLB OFFROAD
    @crashnburn80 thank you again. I’m really shooting for the “white/blue” look without going HID and needing lots of extra wiring/ballasts hanging around. I’ll for sure check out what you Have mentioned.

2. Oct 8, 2019 at 7:01 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    Go Hawks!
    If you want white/blue halogens are not going to cut it for you. Hikari's will likely be the best option I have tried. Rain seems to be holding off, so I should have the data in a while.

CB3TACO likes this.
  3. Oct 8, 2019 at 7:10 PM
    CB3TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Connecticut
    Has anyone tested them over a length of time? Did you need CANbus adapters?

4. Oct 8, 2019 at 7:13 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    Go Hawks!
    Lots of guys have run the Hikari's. While the optical design is better than many, I do not place that faith in their build quality. They feel cheap. The Tacomas do not use CANbus, so no adapter required.

CB3TACO likes this.
  5. Oct 8, 2019 at 7:15 PM
    CB3TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Connecticut
    What do you feel is a better quality led that won’t break the bank.. i know I will most likely sacrifice light quality and distance

6. Oct 8, 2019 at 7:40 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    Go Hawks!
    Cheap doesn’t necessarily mean they will fail soon, but Diode Dynamics units feel far better built, and they are made in the USA vs China. However the Diode Dynamic ones are much larger, so they don’t project as well. I wouldn’t advocate reducing projection performance under stock.

7. Oct 9, 2019 at 12:25 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    Go Hawks!
    Hikari Ultra "Eyes of Megatron" H11/H9 LEDs
    Amazon link here.

fullsizeoutput_1185.jpg

The name and advertising admittedly sounds questionable on these LEDs. The advertising is full of way overpromised performance, as is typical many off brand LEDs, with claims like "12,000 lumens!" and "270% brighter!". The product info page reads like a bad Chinese translation. However these are the thinnest drop in LEDs I have tested. And that is important because the thinner the distance between LED emitter faces, the better the focus (which is a weak point for LEDs). And better focus leads to better performance.

fullsizeoutput_1183.jpg

Still not quiet as thin as the OEM halogen, but closer.

[​IMG]

An interesting trait on these LEDs is how they use more girth/mass under the LED emitters, and keep the design thinner over the emitters. Below the light source is not utilized much in a low beam pattern, and in the projector all that light is blocked out by the internal light shield. So by optimizing the top of the LED unit to be thinner, they have optimized the light distribution for better low beam output.

These are actively cooled (aka fan powered). Some designs that are a bit more cleaver like Diode Dynamics work with convection to have fans blow upward over heat sinks to carry heat away more efficiently, though at the expense of added bulk. These use the traditional rear facing fan. The fans are noisy. Likely not an issue with the truck running, but I am pretty sure you'll notice them with the truck off.

So how do they perform?

Better than I expected. 42' distance test shot against the Philips H9.

Philips H9 vs Hikari LED at 42'
    fullsizeoutput_118e.jpg

Looking at the output measurements, the Hikari numbers look impressive for an LED.

fullsizeoutput_118f.jpg

The halogens maintain a bit of a better recognizable hotspot than the Hikari's, and the halogen peak beam intensity is up near the cut off, vs the Hikari where it is a little lower. The peak beam intensity should be up near the cut off to carry the projection as far as possible. But over all very impressive performance for an LED.

Compared to stock these are a significant upgrade, a bit over 50% greater lux at 42'.

Stock 42' vs Hikari 42'
    fullsizeoutput_1191.jpg

This of course begs the question, how do they do in the high beam? Here are short range (18') pattern shots using the Hikari's in the high beam with the low beams turned off.

Stock Philips H9 vs Hikari LED high beam.
    ggZZpdsmSWOKquk8uQKvKQ.jpg

The LED pattern is a bit more filled out than the halogen that has a hotter area lower in the beam. But that isn't unintentional. The lower hotter spot in the halogen high beam is to project the beam maximum forward distance for down road distance vision while also giving a wider area illumination. The LED pattern has lost this defined hotspot trait and is more of a uniform light spread. I did some 42' distance testing for high beam, and the Hikari's put down better peak numbers by roughly 20%. However it wasn't easy to tell exactly where that was relative in the beam and I suspect it is higher, for example a 20% increase in light aimed up 5 degrees isn't going to be beneficial to help you see further down the road. Brighter yes, but you also want that brighter applied to where you need it to go for it to be true effective. Unfortunately it began to rain so I packed up my gear to bring it inside.

8. Oct 9, 2019 at 12:32 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    Go Hawks!
    TRS has talked about making wiring adapters to install the 2020 OEM LED headlights, but they also sell the Morimoto LED lights so there may not be much incentive. Saw this today.

1E760F80-016F-4832-9666-003AFCCEA952.jpg

wideloadwillis and Inferno__Taco like this.
  9. Oct 9, 2019 at 7:47 AM
    Joe671

Joe671 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Thanks for all your work @crashnburn80. This is by far one of the best threads on here.

10. Oct 9, 2019 at 8:36 AM
    6MTPro

6MTPro Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro 6MT
    265/75/16, PPF, Bakflip Mx4,
    @crashnburn80 still loving the functionality of the GF +130 that I have in from this forum.

Question: What are your thoughts pros vs cons on the Lightwerkz RX350 retrofits that people are doing? Seems more comprehensive than other HID swaps which I would venture to guess is a better finished product and longevity of use? Or is is just the same issues that someone would have with an HID application?

https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/bi-xenon-lexus-rx350-sti-r-projectors.html

11. Oct 9, 2019 at 11:29 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    Go Hawks!
    RX350 projectors are regarded as some of the best projectors out there and they are an OEM Toyota product. Unlike using HIDs in halogen projectors, those are actually correctly designed to run HIDs, control the uplight and utilize proper OEM grade D2S bulbs like factory HIDs. Meaning you can get a 100% German made bulb by high quality brands like Osram and Philips, the same that would go into an OEM equipped HID vehicle. None of this rebasing an HID capsule to a halogen bulb base, which no reputable brands do. Pair the setup with quality Toyota Denso 35w ballasts and you have some pretty solid components. Having quality components is important but of course the quality of work by the retrofitter matters to. Did they use a quality OEM assembly, how accurate the projectors are placed, are they level, and how well the unit is sealed. Lower quality assemblies often have adjustment issues, can have play in the lenses, and can have early lens hazing. Retrofits like drop in LEDs are not legal. But it is certainly a better way to go about running HIDs than using a rebased HID bulb in a halogen projector assembly.

xxTacocaTxx and Inferno__Taco like this.
  12. Oct 9, 2019 at 12:14 PM
    replica9000

replica9000 ./$0|./$0&

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R OR Premium
    I've never taken apart a projector assembly before, but what are the chances swapping the projector portion is easy?

13. Oct 9, 2019 at 12:36 PM
    6MTPro

6MTPro Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro 6MT
    Thats great information, the kit itself seems relatively cheap Im curious what the cost would be to install. I guess follow up question would be

1. If they are street legal for the RX350 does that automatically make them legal when paired with a Toyota or is the street legal aspect tied to a specific vehicle?
    2. Why would someone buy this lightwerkz setup as opposed to dropping into a Lexus parts dept. (appears to be OEM)? Assumption is that it's hard to find based on age?
    3. This would only solve the low beams and it would still would be a more visual transition from cooler to warmer if you were going back and forth with the highs and the lows? Think thats how it was on the RX's t00.

14. Oct 9, 2019 at 12:45 PM
    6MTPro

6MTPro Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro 6MT
    Inferno__Taco and replica9000 like this.
  15. Oct 9, 2019 at 1:00 PM
    TACO_ROCKET

TACO_ROCKET Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    Black 2019 TRD OR DCSB auto w/ premium tech pkg
    You left out a major factor, but I got your back.

I'm very happy to see the Hikari's performed as well as they did in your testing so far. Otherwise I'd have been really sad about ordering them before I saw the results. Lol. They should be on my doorstep any moment now.

Thanks for the reassurance that I didn't make too terrible a mistake. Now it's just a matter of whether or not they last as long as an LED should.

16. Oct 9, 2019 at 1:22 PM
    Joe671

Joe671 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    So you argued the fact that not all LED's were created equal having us thinking you already had some sweet LED's installed but really you were just waiting for crash to test some that meet your standard. LOL i see what you did there.

Inferno__Taco likes this.
  17. Oct 9, 2019 at 2:15 PM
    replica9000

replica9000 ./$0|./$0&

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R OR Premium
    Reflection of my Nokya Hyper yellow H9s and Amber Morimoto fogs.

IMG_20191009_160847~01.jpg

crashnburn80 [OP] likes this.
  18. Oct 9, 2019 at 2:28 PM
    AMC_Unlimited

AMC_Unlimited Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AMC
    After reading some of this info... I’m thinking of taking the LED’s out in the winter in favor of the stock bulbs.

My cheap LED’s are fine in the summer and I live in the city so there is plenty of illumination at night. I just don’t have enough confidence in the winter that they can penetrate through moderate snow fall and would light up the snow flakes instead of the road.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  19. Oct 9, 2019 at 3:08 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    Go Hawks!
    1. No. The Rx350 headlight assembly as a whole factory unit is street legal. Individual components are not.
    2. If you go to the dealer you'll likely have to buy the entire headlight assembly which will be very expensive. Recall these are not intended to be serviceable. Yes, people bake them and pry them apart and then reseal them, but that was never any OEMs intention or approved procedure.
    3. B-Xenon means the low beam projector light shield is dropable, so the single HID projector functions as both low and high. Installed in a 3rd Gen with a separate high beam, you could then have dual high beams.

6MTPro and Inferno__Taco like this.
  20. Oct 9, 2019 at 8:54 PM
    TACO_ROCKET

TACO_ROCKET Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    Black 2019 TRD OR DCSB auto w/ premium tech pkg
    Well, I have some on my mustang that are the same brand, and I believe have similar array dimensions. Those are the cheap versions, though. I was planning to wait to see the results on the Ultra version, but my impulses got the better of me. I had a hunch they were gonna do well from everything else I've seen on them.

Products Discussed in

To Top