1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen Poll: Rear End Noise howling when feathering throttle

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by smitty99, Jul 21, 2016.

?

Does your rear end make a slight howling noise at 50-65mph when feathering throttle?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Have not checked it yet but will report back

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Oct 9, 2018 at 4:32 PM
    farmerbob

farmerbob Active Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 DCLB 4x4 AT
    It's OK, just resonance.

2. Oct 9, 2018 at 5:05 PM
    tacoflavoredkisses1

tacoflavoredkisses1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDOR DCSB (SOLD)
    No I cut bait about a year ago. I wasn't impressed with Toyota's response (or the rest of the truck to be honest). Every time I got in to the thing I wanted to drive off a cliff.

I kinda mentioned this in the post you quoted, but the TSB "process" was a cluster f*ck. They never really solved the problems.

edit: reading through the newer responses...It looks like the TSBs still aren't really solving the problems.

3. Oct 9, 2018 at 5:28 PM
    weezykid

weezykid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR DCSB 4wd
    You have proof of this or just going by replies of speculation here? So the resonance changes, increases, becomes known as time goes on? You also think if the truck had to be sold private party the next person would buy that too?

4. Oct 9, 2018 at 5:43 PM
    tacoflavoredkisses1

tacoflavoredkisses1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDOR DCSB (SOLD)
    I traded mine in because I felt uncomfortable selling that truck to a private party. I also didn't think anyone would be excited to hear that howl.

5. Oct 9, 2018 at 5:46 PM
    weezykid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR DCSB 4wd

I am close to doing the same.. However this new sound may stop that possibility as well.

6. Oct 9, 2018 at 7:47 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Funny. Same experience here. I keep thinking I'll get used to the truck and it's going in the opposite direction. I've never driven a vehicle with a worse transmission. I had to drive it in 4th at interstate speed today. Otherwise it was back and forth 4 to 5 literally every 10 seconds. Absurd.

7. Oct 9, 2018 at 7:48 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Yeah it sucks. Can't, with a good conscious, sell this thing to a private party. And Toyota won't do shit. Also absurd.

weezykid[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 13, 2018 at 9:14 AM
    farmerbob

farmerbob Active Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 DCLB 4x4 AT
    I guess you didn't 'get it' LOL.

9. Oct 13, 2018 at 1:33 PM
    weezykid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR DCSB 4wd
    Sarcasm? I did not, sorry... The situation has me pissed off. But it is not my problem anymore as I drove home a new 4runner Off-road today...

10. Oct 13, 2018 at 2:48 PM
    The Real Moondog

The Real Moondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off-Road (Sold :()
    I thought farmer bob was kidding too but understand the emotions over this issue. :). Did you trade your truck? I understand that everyone is a little edgy here. Honestly, we are just a bunch of people talking about a problem with our truck and trying to find a solution, yet every now and then someone comes in and acts like we are stealing food from their family because we criticized a truck. It’s just a truck. Hope you like your T4R.

NMTrailRider likes this.
  11. Oct 13, 2018 at 3:21 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Haha My blood pressure goes up every time I get within six blocks of the Toyota dealer. Then I start sweating when I walk in the door (for the f'n 16th time in the last three months).

12. Oct 13, 2018 at 3:36 PM
    oconnor

oconnor Where am I?

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport 4x4 AC 6MT/ '04 TJ Rubicon
    I understand getting something you like but it's kind of weird to trade in on another Toyota. I would probably change brands altogether if this truck pissed me off enough to get rid of it for a loss.

Lt. Dangle likes this.
  13. Oct 13, 2018 at 3:43 PM
    Comato$e

Comato$e Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Chicago,Il
    Vehicle:
    18' MGM OR DCSB
    Is this noise coming through cabin pressure relief vents or ?

14. Oct 13, 2018 at 3:46 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Nobody seems to know exactly. Lots of theories. Best guess seems to be Resonance, which causes both sound waves and some vibration. I honestly think it's a combination of both that the driver ends up sensing, depending on severity. So, as to where it's coming from? It's coming from "all over".

15. Oct 13, 2018 at 3:54 PM
    Comato$e

Comato$e Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Chicago,Il
    Vehicle:
    18' MGM OR DCSB
    Ok i dont hear of feel anything like that . Yet...........

16. Oct 14, 2018 at 6:31 AM
    Mountainmike87

Mountainmike87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 silver TRDOR
    I traded mine in for a T4R a year ago. I now have 32k miles on it from adventuring everywhere. Over mountain passes in Colorado too. Literally not on single issue with the vehicle, and mines been lifted since the first week of ownership. It's nice to focus on life and not be pissed nonstop about a vehicle.

When I go get my oil changed I like to look at the immense amount of 3rd Gen trade ins. All low mileage. They are literally everywhere.

17. Oct 14, 2018 at 6:44 AM
    weezykid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR DCSB 4wd

I didnt mean either reply in a bad way, hope I didnt come across like that. Just didnt notice the sarcasm the first time around. :) I loved my Tacoma and it was a good truck with the exception of the howl issue and some odd shifting issues. The 062-18 update did help at first, but it got to a point where only turning of traction control seemed to help my shifting. It just never felt like the tranny was programmed to shift correctly.
    When they replaced the diff it helped a little with the howl, but they also changed my tires pressures and not sure if that affected it. I tend to like my tires on the stiff side and ran 38-40 psi on normal basis. When I picked up the truck after the diff swap it was a lot quieter, but still there. On my road trip at the end of that week it came back and kind of feel that it got louder. (i did put the pressures back up) Toyota wouldn't do anything because the service manager said there was no fix and felt it was an engineering issue and not a part issue. I found another service manager that seemed to be willing to look at it more, but I never went back. All in all, I was tired of going back and forth with the dealers for a brand new truck. It was discouraging for Toyota to deal with the situation the way they did and I had to chase after them in the long run which made it worse. Last i talked to them I was going to have it looked at again and I have never heard a word since. They sent me multiple emails for a review on the case and I left a long reply stating my displeasure of how the case was handled and how they offer a product with issues and no resolutions. Still no replies.
    Overall, while I did like the Tacoma, the 4runner is more of what I need and I did miss my 3rd Gen 4runner (sold it to get the Taco). While I do not haul much, it is nice having the secure back half when traveling so I went back to a 4runner. After this mess I thought long and hard about leaving the Toyota family over this and pick up a Wrangler, but dont think I could deal with the loss of interior space over the 4runner. And I dont feel the long term reliability is there with a Jeep.

I hope Toyota comes up with a fix for this because it is not right. The dealers are letting these off the lot with the same issue from day one and that is insane. Although, if you test drive and are fine with the sound, you are agreeing to the headache.

NMTrailRider likes this.
  18. Oct 14, 2018 at 7:14 AM
    The Real Moondog

The Real Moondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off-Road (Sold :()
    No, I didn’t take your reply bad at all. I hope I didn’t imply that. There is a lot of emotion involved when you buy something and then it has issues that can’t get fixed. My point is that the moment some of us speak out about issues with the Taco there seems to be an almost calculated attack by some, acting like we are stealing food off their table. Best of luck to you. FWIW, our next vehicle is going to be a Subaru. I’m hanging on to my Taco, unless the whine continues to get louder.

NMTrailRider likes this.
  19. Oct 14, 2018 at 7:21 AM
    weezykid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR DCSB 4wd
    Not at all, but made me think mine may have. lol.. And agreed as you see it here alot with people voicing opinions. While some trucks have no issues, some trucks do. I dot understand those that get defensive as it is a slam against the truck. In this situation it is an issue and it needs to be known without receiving grief. Best to luck to you as well! I will still be a lurker and will keep an eye on this hoping you guys get a resolution!

Something I just thought of, but forgot to get pics. My passenger side frame rail had a black gasket goop looking stuff on it in random places just forward of the rear spring front mount. At first I was thinking maybe it was a lazy mechanic wiping off excess from his fingers post diff replacement, however there was no goop on the rear (hope they use actual gaskets). I was curious if it was a resonance silencing attempt as it seemed like an unordinary amount of goop for a finer wipe. If the dealer where I traded it was closer I would go get pics.

20. Oct 18, 2018 at 6:54 PM
    PuyallupJon

PuyallupJon 2020 AG Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Puyallup, WA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    Is this problem happening on all or most of the trucks or is it totally random?

Sounds like a pain. Very annoying.

Products Discussed in

To Top