1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen Poll: Rear End Noise howling when feathering throttle

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by smitty99, Jul 21, 2016.

?

Does your rear end make a slight howling noise at 50-65mph when feathering throttle?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Have not checked it yet but will report back

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jun 24, 2019 at 10:35 AM
    mikebur

mikebur Member

Member:
    Sorry to hear that! Using lemon law requires to have three failed documented attempts to solve an issue, Am I right?

2. Jun 24, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    The Real Moondog

The Real Moondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    It depends on the state you are in. I have far exceeded my attempts. Also, define failed repair attempts. Sometimes manufacturers try to get cute and say something is “normal” and that it wasn’t a failed attempt. If you show up to the dealer, the truck makes it way back to the shop, and leave with the same issue, it’s a failed attempt. I even had a former dealer try to not document my visit on one I LL’d and I just took a pic of him and the shop. I won and they bought it back and then some. I’ve been an attorney over 20 years so I’m not that worried about the shenanigans. Toyota has been disappointing lately with regards to their lack of accountability for this issue. I plan to help them fix it. Best of luck to you but I won’t be able to talk about this issue for a while. Take care!

mikebur and NMTrailRider like this.
  3. Jun 29, 2019 at 10:29 AM
    Critical05

Critical05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD OR
    Maybe I got lucky. Had the whine since new, never been too loud but annoying.

Got the TSB done about 10k miles ago, it quieted down to the point it was barely noticed during regular driving. Just got new tires recently at 22k miles and I just noticed I haven't heard the whine for awhile. Tried to reproduce it with the radio off, windows open and then closed. Mine is gone/quiet enough where road noise drowns it out.

New tires aren't even that loud as I got Michelin defender ltx. I did a search and found others where new tires didn't do anything, kinda a mixed bag.

SilverBulletII likes this.
  4. Jul 11, 2019 at 7:41 AM
    dung

dung Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFFOAD
    I just got the rear end replaced on my 2018 Offroad....the noise is still there. It may be a little quieter, but it isn't much. They did manage to add more adhesive to my hood and it doesn't flop anymore, but they also added a slight dent in the same area, ughh.

None of their fixes did anything for the fuel pump noise I have over 20 mph.

5. Jul 11, 2019 at 12:56 PM
    Burro09

Burro09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro Cement MT
    Is the fuel pump noise the oneyou hear when you open the rear cab sliding window?

Sounds kind of like a hiss/woosh amidst sloshing liquid. I thought it was my pinion bearing or something. It comes out of the soace between the cab and the bed. It only sounds once over a certain speed.

6. Jul 12, 2019 at 8:12 AM
    dung

dung Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFFOAD
    Yes, I only hear it with the rear window open. It sounds like an old dying or super cheap electric fuel pump to me. Much like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3qpcnGl7sk only not near as loud.

It only seems to make noise over 20 mph and you can hear it all the way up to 75 or so where the wind noise drowns it out. If you pop it into neutral it still makes the noise.

Products Discussed in

To Top