1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd gen seat creak pop

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Mountainmike87, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Jul 27, 2017 at 6:23 PM
    Mountainmike87

Mountainmike87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 silver TRDOR
    Does anyone's seat on their 3rd gen kinda pop when accelerating and decelerating? It won't make the noise just sitting there trying to move the seat. Of course they claim it's "normal" that has been the response to every issue my truck has. My 327k mile 88 4runner has a better seat.

IndyFastlane and tcjacado like this.
  2. Jul 27, 2017 at 6:53 PM
    The Real Moondog

The Real Moondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off-Road (Sold :()
    Mine is doing it now and I am about to lose my mind.

tcjacado likes this.
  3. Jul 27, 2017 at 6:54 PM
    Mountainmike87

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 silver TRDOR
    I just want it fixed. It pisses me off everything is dismissed as "normal". I guess it's "normal" to make a vehicle with issues. Don't even get me started on the "normal" rear end whine

tcjacado and shakerhood like this.
  4. Jul 27, 2017 at 6:59 PM
    The Real Moondog

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota corporate was supposed to call me today over the howling and they were a no show. Not cool. Have you checked your jack? I think that is the issue. Just have to take time to secure it better. Every time I go over a bump I hear it.

Edit. My issue is the rear seat area so I'm thinking either it is my rear seat, rear headrests, or jack clunking when I hit a bump.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  5. Jul 27, 2017 at 7:00 PM
    TeecoTaco

TeecoTaco Liberty Biberty

Member:
    SW Ontario
    Vehicle:
    16 Taco DCSB TRD Sport 6MT
    Modified the level of gas in the tank
    Sell it to me...i want it. TRUCK, NOT THE SEAT...lol

6. Jul 27, 2017 at 7:03 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    My driver seat back moves a little. No creaking or popping yet but it does move oddly.

7. Jul 27, 2017 at 7:12 PM
    Mountainmike87

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 silver TRDOR
    Hmm I haven't checked the jack. I can feel the pop if I place my hand on the side of my seat around the lumbar piece. But I might as well check the jack. Oh and the how Toyota corporate won't do anything they wrote it off and said it is normal.... I expect you will get the same. They actually seemed kinda sketchy like they are trying to avoid a disastrous recall.

8. Jul 27, 2017 at 7:23 PM
    The Real Moondog

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    There is so much going on with the 3rd gens until it's ridiculous. You would think this is their first time making a truck. They are clearly regressing. This truck is more refined than my 2nd gen but at Keats my second gen wouldn't just pick a gear while downshifting on the interstate and stay at 4,000 rpm even with my foot off the gas. My satellite radio is the worst reception I have ever seen and I have owned a lot of cars and have 5 new or almost new ones now. I can take some kinks and flaws so my biggest issue is the howling rear diff. My wife doesn't even want to ride in my truck anymore because of it and she is hearing impaired.

9. Jul 27, 2017 at 7:41 PM
    Mountainmike87

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 silver TRDOR
    Dude I kind of regret getting rid of my 2016 wrangler rubicon unlimited. It had the 4.10 gears and would chug along like a diesel up anything and never ever downshit and I mean never. It was just so uncomfortable to travel in so I had to get the next best offroad vehicle there is. I will likely just lift mine go with the 255 skinny 33s and have 4.88 gears put in it (if i ever have the money..). That will solve the rear end noise because someone competent will do it ( its the one car thing i wont touch). Plus it will have way better low end grunt. There is probably corporate espionage going on at Toyota someone from chevy (the government) paid someone off to drop the ball on stuff haha.

10. Jul 27, 2017 at 7:45 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    The head guy for Toyota used to work for dodge/Chrysler.

11. Jul 27, 2017 at 7:46 PM
    Mountainmike87

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 silver TRDOR
    very interesting

12. Jul 27, 2017 at 8:08 PM
    The Real Moondog

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    I like the 3.5 at highway speeds ONLY when it doesn't get stuck in a gear. The motor and tranny need better tuning. It's almost funny that this drivetrain behaves this way on a modern vehicles.

The truck is light years quieter than my second gen was but even my second gen didn't have that rear diff howling and like so many others I just want my truck fixed. I don't want a corporate buy back or trade assist. I want my rear diff fixed. All the other stuff are just quirks to me.

As stated earlier, the tranny needs better tuning - I mean crap - others ar running butter smooth 10-speeds so why can't Toyota get a frickin 6-speed right? Geez. The satellite radio receiver is an easy fix but all this stuff costs money. Before I lose money on a trade I may have my rear diff fixed by a private shop and if Toyota pees me off I might go after Toyota 100 fold for it.

13. Jul 27, 2017 at 8:10 PM
    Mountainmike87

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 silver TRDOR
    Yeah I dont want another vehicle I'm tired of buying them. They arent even enjoyable to own anymore since they all have issues. If i bought an old used vehicle i can accept the issues. I do want my rear end just fixed and I guess I could have a shop do it and get toyota to pay.

The Real Moondog likes this.
  14. Jul 27, 2017 at 8:10 PM
    The Real Moondog

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    Well here you go.

Mountainmike87[OP] likes this.
  15. Jul 27, 2017 at 8:14 PM
    Mountainmike87

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 silver TRDOR
    Corporate espionage has to be a real thing. Just subtle things to make the truck less desirable and push people to the other mid size contenders. I honestly don't thing toyota had the truck finished and just slapped something together so people wouldn't go buy the new fresh chevy. I wouldn't be at all surprised if in a year or two there is a new engine and better transmission in the trucks.

Mully likes this.
  16. Jul 27, 2017 at 8:22 PM
    The Real Moondog

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    Same here. I'm really tired of buying new vehicles. As I have said on here before I have owned more than 30 new ones over the years and tons of used ones. I am tired of buying cars and trucks. I want a truck I can drive until I'm sick of it. I loved my second gen but we all know they had their quirks too. I love my new one but that is changing fast because of the rear diff alone. I can live with the other quirks. But, my son has a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk that I bought new for him a year ago. I thought FCA was supposed to make crap so I hesitated to buy it. Well, the Jeep has been flawless with zero issues. I bought my daughter a 2016 Mazda CX-5 two years ago and it too has been flawless - not one issue. My VW GTI has also never had an issue. My GMC Yukon has been a piece of crap, the last one was a buy back from GM and this one is on a short leash. It s a 2016.

For all of the people that bash anything other than Toyota maybe they need to drive some of the other choices out there. I have had more issues out of my Toyota trucks than all of my other trucks combined if you take GM out of the equation. What I like about my Tacos is the fact that they hold up well over the long haul and my last was was just as tight the day I sold it as it was the day I bought it. We all know they perform well off road. They look good. They ride nice. The Tacos have their quirks but I'm a fan. But, it seems like Toyota is regressing while others are getting better. Now I would not touch a new GM midsize twin based off all the issues my last 4 GM vehicles have given me. But, in the end, Toyota needs to get their crap together on these Tacos. I don't know, maybe make the Tacos run like the 4Runners?

tcjacado likes this.
  17. Jul 27, 2017 at 8:42 PM
    Mountainmike87

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 silver TRDOR
    Nah I had a 15 4runner and despised it. Never has a vehicle felt so cumbersome and unsurefooted off-road. It felt like it would flip so easy and needed to be put in 4x4 everywhere. It even had badass tires. The think nose dive so hard it felt like it was going to roll over on it's nose haha. The rear seat sounded like a crunchy plastic bottle the lumbar support was so bad. But the rear end was quiet.

18. Jul 27, 2017 at 8:44 PM
    The Real Moondog

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    I would almost take a quiet rear end! The howling is working me over big time - driving me, my wife, and kids crazy.

shakerhood likes this.
  19. Jul 27, 2017 at 8:47 PM
    cliffyk

cliffyk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Saint Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 TRD Sport 145k miles
    Thirty new ones? I'm 72 and have only owned 21 cars in my entire life (four or five were new)--from a '39 Buick Special to an '09 Tacoma...

20. Jul 27, 2017 at 8:49 PM
    The Real Moondog

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    I know but it's complicated. :). That includes cars I bought for my wife and now 4 of my 6 kids. My wife and I started really young having kids and we are still in our 40s. I used to buy new cars all the time. I would love to have all of that wasted money back! I came from a car crazy family. I bet you wish you had that 39 Buick back! :)

Products Discussed in

To Top