1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen Taco or 16'/17' 4Runner?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by 10010110, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Aug 6, 2015 at 12:50 PM
    NoDak

NoDak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Blazing Blue
    No, its built on the prado (also called the land cruiser prado, not the same as the Land Cruiser) chassis which is shared with the Lexus GX series, FJ Cruiser, Tacoma, Hilux. the L/C chassis is shared between the Lexus LX series only. The sequoia is shared with the tundra chassis.

2. Aug 6, 2015 at 12:54 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Hmm asking a forum to give him on advice on 2 vehicles that no one has ever owned.

3. Aug 6, 2015 at 12:58 PM
    Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Member

Member:
    Do you want a manual? 4Runner doesn't have one.

4. Aug 6, 2015 at 1:10 PM
    Tideline

Tideline Well-Known Member

Member:

what is the difference between the Tacoma frame and the 4Runner frame ?

5. Aug 6, 2015 at 1:14 PM
    NoDak

NoDak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    apparently you didnt comprehend my post, try re-reading the whole post.

6. Aug 6, 2015 at 1:23 PM
    Tideline

Tideline Well-Known Member

Member:
    emailing PO#'s, talking on the phone, talking to the freezer crew, checking expiration dates

I prolly should reread it later

7. Aug 6, 2015 at 1:25 PM
    tubesock

tubesock Well-Known Member

Member:
  8. Aug 6, 2015 at 1:32 PM
    NoDak

NoDak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    I posted that in regards to your original question about the chassis, hence the quote.

9. Aug 6, 2015 at 2:34 PM
    b.miller123

b.miller123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White Limited Double Cab Long Bed 4x4
    As someone who went from a truck to a 4runner and just bought another truck, I can tell you that I needed the truck, and it was worth it. I did the whole rent a truck/buy a small trailer thing and it sucks. One more thing to register, maintain and store. Any time I need to actually use the trailer, it was one more step that was between me thinking about doing whatever, and being done with whatever.

Sure, I can help you move that couch, let me just go get my trailer, find my hitch with the correct ball, pull the trailer out, hook it up, make sure the lights work, check the air in the tires, check the registration and then have fun trying to park the shit wherever I am going. Don't get me wrong, none of this is hard at all. It is just more shit to do making any process longer and more of a pain in the ass.

With my truck, I don't have that issue. Wife randomly decides we need to buy some stuff at a yard sale? No problem, toss it in the back. Find a good deal on craigslist while at work? I can leave straight from work and go get it. I get stranded somewhere with my motorcycle? No problem, tell the wife to toss the ramps in the back and come get me.

You really need to decide what YOU want and need. That is all that matters if you don't care about any price difference between the models you are choosing. If you own an SUV and the situations I said above don't happen to you very often, then maybe you don't need a truck. It happened often enough to me that I was tired of it.

And about $3-5k more for each trim level. Even more if you are talking SR5, access cab or a shortbed. A limited (what I bought) is roughly 37k for the taco and 43k for the 4runner. Not a huge difference, but still a point to consider. With a 4runner, the only way you are getting dual zone climate control is with the limited, same for the nav with JBL, and heated seats. I'll cave on the power driver's seat. Really pissed that they didn't at least add that to the limited taco, but I've never actually owned a vehicle with power seats.

^Those are based on the 2015 taco prices, so the gap is probably smaller now, unless they also raised prices for the 4runner, which is likely.

If I didn't mind having a third vehicle, and the extra cost for a loaded 4runner wasn't enough to push it out of my price range, I would have considered getting a nice SUV for the family and picking up a cheap (like $900 cheap) 2wd pickup for moving stuff. That would be the best of both worlds. However, I learned my lesson last time by not buying a fully loaded 4runner. I regretted that all the time.

Another thing to consider is how often you are hauling people vs stuff. I only have my wife and daughter to haul around. Mayble once or twice a month do I ever have an adult in the back. If you have two teenagers or are constantly making trips with four adults, maybe an suv is for you. For me, I was hauling things more than people. The quad cab Taco does seem to have a little less legroom in the back, but guess what? I'm not sitting back there so I don't care.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  10. Aug 6, 2015 at 2:43 PM
    NoDak

NoDak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    or you can do what we have done. the warden gets the taco, I get the 4runner :)

4runner to travel, taco for hauling if we need it.

bonus, the wife loves trucks and it better be a Tacoma's and nothing else. so that was easy decision for us.

11. Aug 6, 2015 at 9:16 PM
    Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eleanor, WV
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition, KDSS
    Taco was super poorly equipped compared to the 4Runner until just now (old engine, old interior.... locker and ATRAC were the only goodies). I think the Taco made a big jump in the power train department from a fuel efficiency perspective and having blind spot monitoring, moonroof, push button without being a $40k truck also helps the Taco value equation. Ultimately, if the 4Runner goes on a diet and gets an updated power train, I'd go 4Runner. But today, I'd lean Taco. The white 4Runner Pro, though. HNNNNGGGGGG! Love it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  12. Aug 6, 2015 at 9:20 PM
    unclemat

unclemat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX Baja
    Which is a frigging shame it doesn't :annoyed:

13. Aug 6, 2015 at 9:54 PM
    SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Onwards and Upwards!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 ACLB, ‘99 XCLB, ‘92 RC, ‘85 4R
    Get both.

Chopper678 likes this.
  14. Aug 8, 2015 at 3:35 PM
    shr133

shr133 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Muskego, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 Sport
    K & N filter, 275 70 17 Cooper AT3, OME Nitrocharger shocks, 884 Springs, Dakar leafs.
    Don't get me wrong I recommend the 16 Tacoma.... Some of us just wanted or expected more from Toyota..... I would wait till it comes out and test drive both... The Tacoma should tow better, feel more powerful and get better MPG..... I like the Tacoma better for off roading but the runner is good to.... I like the coil springs of the 4runner but not the low gas tank.....

Each have their advantages so you have to decide what's best for you....

15. Aug 10, 2015 at 12:22 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Absolutely I had a 4Runner and utility trailer for ten years. The only reason
    I went back to a Taco was the price. If you can afford it, get the 4 runer but at least wait and try out the 2016 of each.
    The frame on the 4 runner makes the Taco frame look like paper mâché. If in a crash, I want to be in a 4Runner .

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  16. Aug 10, 2015 at 1:10 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    Who are we to not recommend the 2016 Tacoma, the majority of them are idiots and judged a truck without ever driving it.

17. Aug 10, 2015 at 3:10 PM
    b.miller123

b.miller123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White Limited Double Cab Long Bed 4x4
    You mean the same engine that has been in the 4runners for the last ten years?

Additionally, those things probably won't come standard. You'll have to either get them as part of a $2k convenience/tech package attached to the trd sport/offroad or they'll come with the limited. I wouldn't hold your breath if you think you'll be getting all that for less than $40k. Maybe $38 if you are lucky.

Chopper678 likes this.
  18. Aug 10, 2015 at 3:29 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    The 4runner is going to have better options and family accomodations at a little higher price. OP, I think you should lay out your needs.

Do you haul a large family, or is it just you and 1 or 2 passengers? What do you see yourself hauling and towing? Is it something that even though small enough, is clean enough for your 4runner? I've heard of many ruined interiors due to dirty cargo and pets. I agree the Tacoma will be more convenient for small loads in the bed, (if that's your reasoning, get a DCLB) but what about when something is too big for the 6ft bed? Then both vehicles require the utility trailer and that part of the argument is out of the equation, even though the Tacoma will tow a little better.

Do you offroad? Do you hunt or camp? It seems like it boils down to the 4Runner for comfort and family activities, and the Tacoma for work and play. Both are a fine DD.

Ideally, I would drive a Tacoma (Or Tundra if necessary) and my better half would drive a 4Runner.

19. Aug 10, 2015 at 4:45 PM
    Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eleanor, WV
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition, KDSS
    4Runner got an updated 1GR in 2010. The Tacoma soldiered on with the original 1GR that first showed up in the 2003 4Runner.

Push button is standard on the 2016 Tacoma TRD trucks. So is navigation. Blind spot is part of a tech package of the 2016 Tacoma, but that is only on Limited trim 4Runners that go for $42k. The SR5 premium package doesn't have BSM or push button and it is dangerously close to $38k as is. No locker in the SR5, either. It isn't a sleight or anything. Just the fact that the 4Runner is nearing the end of its design cycle and the Tacoma is starting an all new one. At the moment, the Tacoma is going to be a better value. The tables will turn when the 6th gen 4Runner comes out with an 8AT, standard KDSS, or some other things.

Products Discussed in

To Top