1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen Tacoma 3.5L Forced Induction Port Fuel Rail Group Buy

Discussion in 'Automotive Group Buys' started by JamesT, May 21, 2022.

1. May 21, 2022 at 8:51 AM
    JamesT

JamesT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro, MT
    UPDATE: 04/15/2023
    I just sold my last set. I am completely out of these kits at the moment. I've got more in the works of course, but these take a few months to get made, so I will update everyone when they are finished.

Future sales will be moved out of this page and into the 3rd Gen Parts Marketplace since the initial group buy is over. I will leave this page up until the new run is complete and regular sales begin.

I want to take a moment to thank everyone who participated in the group buy. This all couldn't have happened without everyone's support and I am greatly appreciative. I look forward to offering these again as well as seeing what else I can engineer for this platform.

Thanks!

This is a group buy for a new aftermarket Port Fuel Rail for the 2GR-FKS 3.5L 3rd Gen Toyota Tacoma. This is intended as a fix for the imbalanced factory Port Fuel Rail.

On forced induction applications (supercharger and turbocharger alike) it's been found that there is difficulty in tuning the port fuel system, even under low boost. Due to the restrictive factory fuel rail being fed from one end, by the time the last few injectors get their fuel, flow is reduced, which causes the tuner to over richen the first few injectors just to get the last few just barely rich enough to avoid issues. At low boost this can be compensated for by over-enriching the first few injectors, but it's not efficient and at higher boost it is just dangerous and causes drivability issues.

Factory Port Injection rail and manifold:
    20220420_153059.jpg

Currently there are NO other options for upgrading the 3rd Gen Tacoma's fuel rails, Port or Direct. I have tested fuel rails from the aftermarket 2GR-FE Radium rail, to the Lexus LS500 rail, and nothing fit or could be adapted easily.

To be clear, we are discussing Port Injection here only. I recommend you discuss with your tuner if your current tune is relying on Port Injection and if it has an issue with imbalanced fueling. If this is the case, then this rail is meant to reduce that imbalance and allow for a safer tune, and get more performance out of your factory fuel system. If they are relying on the Direct Injection system and it's at it's limits, then with these rails you can safely use your Port Injection system to add additional fuel where needed.

To caveat, this will likely do nothing beneficial for your factory Tacoma engine, since it is already designed for factory equilibrium. It won't hurt of course. This is truly meant for forced induction applications.

This new rail is designed to be similar in performance to current aftermarket rails. I designed it to fit on both sides of the manifold to reduce cost by only needing one design. It uses 8ORB ports on each end and has a massive internal volume over the factory rail. A fuel damper is not required due to the large internal volume, but can be added if desired.

This rail has 11mm injector feed holes which will allow the use of the factory Tacoma Port injectors, or any extended reach 11mm injectors (such as those used in the Lexus LS500 or Tundra). Bigger injectors are not necessary for these rails, but if your boost setup calls for additional port fueling, it will accommodate (more precisely it will allow for the full potential of the bigger injectors). This rail simply allows more flow to be available on demand to your injectors.

Additionally these rails will remove any restriction present with your factory fuel rails. Less restriction means more flow. With forced induction you need additional flow (not pressure).

It is designed to be bolted on like factory. Longer bolts are provided. Here is the final design. They are CNC cut from 6061 aluminum and anodized black.

20220815_173633 (1).jpg

I tested this on the factory intake manifold for turbocharged and N/A setups, as well as the Magnuson manifold for supercharged setups. It fits both like factory.

Purchase will include 2 rails (CNC cut from 6061 aluminum, anodized black), 4 Stainless Steel mounting bolts, a Fuel Pressure Sensor adapter, and shipping to anywhere in the US.

An optional Hose Kit is available using 6AN black nylon braided PTFE hose and high quality aluminum AN fittings for direct plug and play installation to take any guess work out of plumbing. Please specify if N/A, Turbocharged, or Supercharged when ordering a hose kit, as this will alter the setup. Pricing is $180 for the hose kit and comes assembled. Normally this would cost WELL over $200 (no discounts, taxes, shipping).

There is very limited space under and around the rails and especially the supercharger, so it is HIGHLY recommend you purchase the hose kit. This will save you money and a ton of time and frustration trying to figure out the plumbing. You aren't going to get better quality hoses here. These will last the life of the truck.

I have the rails in stock and am working through getting them all out. I still have a few available.

Here is what you will receive in a full kit:
    upload_2022-10-20_6-2-59.png

Full disclosure: this run of rails had some very minor tolerance issues that had to be carefully machined out. None of it is visible once installed and does not effect fit or function. In fact these light modifications have made installation easier. These rails have performed above expectation and testing results will be released as soon as available. There are currently 2 sets out being tested and tuned (one TT and one SC).

These rails are not required for forced induction at low boost, but it will greatly benefit your engine. It will improve safety by allowing you to enrichen both banks consistently. This also enables you to lean out your fuel a little, which in turn allows you to enrichen a little more on your already taxed system if needed. This will not solve all of the truck's fueling issues, but in my opinion it's one of the most important first steps.

I have this on a 12psi twin turbo setup (aiming for 15-18) and I've already seen smoother fueling, and allowed my fueling to be safely reduced, which in turn reduced the misfires I was having from running too rich on my driver bank. The rails did not increase the engine's performance at all, but they did allow my tune to be dialed in correctly, which is what actually increased performance.

You don't "need" a tune after you install these rails, but to be clear, it will cause both banks to be as rich as your driver bank was before, so it's HIGHLY recommended that you have your tuner revisit your port fuel tune after installation and rebalance the fuel properly. If your tuner has your fueling too rich, it can also destroy your catalytic converters.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
  2. May 21, 2022 at 9:05 AM
    MESO

MESO Major Modder Vendor

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD HELLCAT SWAP
    Nice mod!

Tyler7544 likes this.
  3. May 21, 2022 at 9:21 AM
    Jowett

Jowett Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    North Adams, MA
    I'm in, obviously.

Skydvrr, Tyler7544 and JamesT[OP] like this.
  4. May 21, 2022 at 10:00 AM
    RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro Tacoma - Voodoo Blue / 06 double cab PreRunner Turbocharged (sold)
    Last edited: May 21, 2022
    JamesT[OP] likes this.
  5. May 21, 2022 at 10:54 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Well done!

Supr4Lo likes this.
  6. May 21, 2022 at 11:50 AM
    05Taco4x4

05Taco4x4 ToyotaHubs

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2TR-FE Enthusiast
    FJ Tcase, Manual Hubs, 2017 Head unit, Mirror Riser
    I might be interested, will it be 6061 T6 and will shipping be included?

Torspd likes this.
  7. May 21, 2022 at 12:10 PM
    JamesT

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro, MT
    Yes. If shipped within the US.

05Taco4x4[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. May 21, 2022 at 12:41 PM
    RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro Tacoma - Voodoo Blue / 06 double cab PreRunner Turbocharged (sold)
    Will update this post for quantity

9. May 21, 2022 at 12:43 PM
    naked farmer

naked farmer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 B.Red Off Road
    I’ll take one

10. May 21, 2022 at 1:35 PM
    Formidable

Formidable Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO 6MT
    I’m in pending no issues with your prototype testing. Especially if these accommodate larger injectors.

11. May 21, 2022 at 3:03 PM
    JamesT

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro, MT
    There were no issues with the prototype. If you are referring to final product testing, there won't be any issues. That phase is just for the tuners to play with the tuning so they can make corrections to their tune prior to the bulk delivery.

Should the tuners find any issues (no matter how unlikely) they will be corrected prior to the bulk delivery. I am fronting the money, so even if there is something wrong, only i have anything to lose.

12. May 21, 2022 at 4:04 PM
    Jrgymie

Jrgymie Tuf MuddR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Glastonbury, CT
    Vehicle:
    18 DCSB CEMENT TRD SPORT 4x4
    two sets for me. I'm hoping this will solve the fueling issue.

13. May 22, 2022 at 6:55 AM
    Formidable

Formidable Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO 6MT
    What are the bigger injectors and all supporting parts necessary, (gaskets, fittings, etc), to maximize utilization of this rail and upgrade the OEM port injectors? Do you have part numbers?

14. May 22, 2022 at 7:45 AM
    JamesT

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro, MT
    This is a bit of a fuzzy subject. The injectors needed will be dependent on your setup. So for example, I have a twin turbo that is pushing beyond the limits of the factory port injectors. You should never run an injector over 90% duty cycle. So I "may" need the bigger injectors (unless the rail solves the issues). I already have larger direct injectors, and the only reason the larger port injectors may be needed is because my tuner is trying to compensate fueling with relying more on the port side, which is overtaxing it, especially with the imbalance present. But I also have a 340lph pump to feed all of this.

Think of the upgraded rail this way instead. It is the first step that must be taken in order to upgrade port fueling. If you don't do this first you will be fighting so many things that it's difficult to get a proper tune. We may find that this alone will resolve most issues and get us more use of the factory fuel system. The pump and injectors are getting taxed harder than necessary to try and correct for the imbalance. You have to run the driver side richer to get the passenger side rich enough, which causes misfires from being overly rich. So if you fix the balance issue you may see that you can reduce the duty cycle to an acceptable limit and still provide the necessary fuel.

The bottom line is you have to discuss with your tuner what your boost/power goal is and where your problems lie. I would wait to see how the rail effects the fueling before trying to upgrade anything else. Depending on your boost levels, it may alone negate the need for anything else. This truck's fueling is very complex.

mytt65chevy, xxTacocaTxx and Jowett like this.
  15. May 22, 2022 at 8:44 AM
    Jowett

Jowett Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    North Adams, MA
    After a bit of reading, adding fuel pulsation dampers to these rails may contribute to the solution. Fortunately, the nice modular design you came up with should easily allow this.

16. May 22, 2022 at 8:54 AM
    Murd3rd

Murd3rd I believe I Toyota harder than most

Member:
    Your Mom's House, USA
    Vehicle:
    00.5 Reg Cab Slammed, Turbo'd/19 TRD OR 6MT S/C
    1st gen - it's got a built engine, a turbo, and waaaaaaay too much to list. 3rd gen - basic-bitch lift, S/C, Pro Wheels
    I assume @mZiggy is going to offer updated YotaWerx Maggy tunes to accommodate this better fuel distribution? If there is little to no cost for an updated tune then I'm in! Maybe double stack the tune update because by then I'll probably be ready for the 87mm pulley lol.

mZiggy likes this.
  17. May 22, 2022 at 8:54 AM
    JamesT

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro, MT
    Fuel dampers are like catch cans. No one wants to agree on whether they help or not. They do, but the bigger question is if they are necessary.

I think it boils down to how much someone wants to spend. Piece of mind, slight improvement, but maybe not necessary. I may get one just to test.

18. May 22, 2022 at 9:52 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    One example : Apparently Toyota believes dampers are necessary. As they are OE. equipment on the 2nd Gen 1GR Tacomas.

skyking3 likes this.
  19. May 22, 2022 at 10:44 AM
    Jowett

Jowett Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    North Adams, MA
    If the FPDs do prove to help, then these rails you've designed are going to be even more of a must have. After all, FPDs can help stabilize fuel pressure.

@Torspd , if you are unfamiliar... On the 3rd gen the actual fuel rails are stamped/formed and the entire piece is designed to be the FPD and absorb all those little oscillations. Since injection timing and duration are obviously vastly changed, perhaps(?) the stock rails have not only a flow/volume problem, but a wave or even resonance issue that a regular style FPD (as on the 2nd gen) may solve. Either way, or both combined, these rails look to be a requirement.

skyking3 and Torspd like this.
  20. May 22, 2022 at 2:10 PM
    Pinchaser

Pinchaser Flipper Crazy

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma ECU 04B82 AT
    I am in for a set. I hope to push things a bit, and sounds like a necessity. Thank you!!!

mZiggy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top