1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd gen tacoma anytime fog mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by cdubray, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Feb 25, 2019 at 9:10 AM
    Metallikatz3

Metallikatz3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
    That dimmer is a really cool idea! I'm up for giving that a try too if someone can make a wiring diagram that non-engineering types like me can understand.

2. Feb 25, 2019 at 10:59 AM
    Reegsy

Reegsy Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    I pretty much just followed the diagram on the Skene website exactly. I connected both the striped orange and violet to the connector harness I bought (the one posted earlier in the thread). The solid orange and violet connected to the drain of one mosfet. The white higbeam wire connected to the other mosfet. Both mosfet got power on the source pin (12v). The gate pin with the orange and violet striped wires connects to the dark blue from the switch harness while the other mosfet gate with the higbeam connected to a tan or beige colored wired from the switch harness. Everything else is hooked up exactly as explained in the iq275 diagram. I used fuse taps to power everyerything and posi-taps to connect to the existing harness.

I can try to make a diagram tonight/tomorrow.

3. Feb 25, 2019 at 11:11 AM
    El Taco Blanco

El Taco Blanco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma SR5 4x4 DCLB
    Stock (for now)
    Thanks! That would be awesome.

4. Feb 25, 2019 at 6:44 PM
    Reegsy

Reegsy Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    fogLightMod.jpg

This is a mash up of the previously posted wiring diagram and the one from the Skene instructions. The switched 12V all went to a fuse tap on the panel under the dash. The ground on the lamps went directly back to the battery since it was close but any ground point will work. The controller, mosfets, and all wiring except the orange/white - white/violet I put behind the kick panel by the dead pedal. I used posi-taps on the wires connecting the mosfets to the wires on the steering column, beware the ones that come with the IQ-275 (if you order from the skene website) are a bit too big and were intended for thicker wire than the ones on the steering column. I would recommend getting ones for 24-22 gauge wire.

I soldered and heatshrunk all other wire connections. The only thing I used from the harness kit were the connectors and the wire directly attached. I cut the harness kit at the white connector leaving as much of the black and white wire portion as possible, then had to add a bit of wire between where I ran the orange/white - white/violet wires through the firewall.

Might consider getting a different harness kit with a bit more wire length and maybe just the fog connectors since the rest was trash. (you could use the switch I suppose, but I used a panel mount toggle I had laying around).

5. Feb 25, 2019 at 6:53 PM
    cdubray

cdubray [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacama
    dang this is awesome lol

over60 and tonered like this.
  6. Feb 25, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    Reegsy

Reegsy Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Couldn't have happened without you figuring out the anytime part hah.. Nice work @cdubray.

7. Feb 25, 2019 at 7:58 PM
    El Taco Blanco

El Taco Blanco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma SR5 4x4 DCLB
    Stock (for now)
    Thank you for taking the time to draw this out. It really helps a lot!

Reegsy[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Mar 24, 2019 at 5:05 PM
    Metallikatz3

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
    Just got this wired up today following this diagram and it worked perfectly! I didn't hook up the yellow wire and I'll see how I like the brightness. I taped the mofsets/resistors to the back of the scene and then velcroed it up above the obd

Thanks for posting the diagram!

9. Apr 2, 2019 at 7:23 AM
    Metallikatz3

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process

Random question - I'm getting a faint really high pitched buzzing noise from what sounds like the passenger side of the interior when the fog lights are dimmed. Turn the fog lights off or switch them to full power and the noise goes away.

I have the Skene installed on the drivers side so it doesn't sound like the noise is from the unit itself. But any ideas what this could be from??

10. Apr 2, 2019 at 7:44 AM
    pierceD

pierceD TTC #0209

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB Quicksand Tacoma
    Custom Bumper Bilstein 5100s Baja Design Fogs Falken Wildpeaks
    Does anyone have a picture of their wiring itself. Especially with the mosfet and resistor. These diagrams are just confusing me. :confused:

11. Apr 2, 2019 at 8:17 AM
    Metallikatz3

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
  12. Apr 2, 2019 at 11:24 AM
    Metallikatz3

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
    Update - turns out it was actually a Blue Sea Rapid USB charger making the noise. But the feedback is still definitely coming from the foglights/skene somehow as the noise still goes on/off with the dimmer. Baja Designs suggested installing a ferrite ring on the hot wire to the lights and to the skene - so i'll give that a try!

Flash1034 and Reegsy like this.
  13. Apr 2, 2019 at 11:33 AM
    electricdgm

electricdgm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD XSP Sport 4x4
    I hardly turn the fog lights on, but the led DRL lights are on as long as I leave the switch on. The LED lights around my head lights are always on unless I change the settings.

14. Apr 3, 2019 at 5:57 PM
    Reegsy

Reegsy Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    glad you go it sorted. I haven't heard any high pitched noises with my fast USB charger.

15. Apr 3, 2019 at 6:09 PM
    Reegsy

Reegsy Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    When I did this I was going to do a write up, but forgot to continue taking pictures while I was working, sorry guys.

1.jpg
    The white looking one was actually light beige.

2.jpg

3.jpg

16. Apr 3, 2019 at 7:16 PM
    Metallikatz3

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
    Well my mod stopped working today...

I'm did some troubleshooting and if I disconnect the white and violet/orange wires from the mofsets I read 12v coming out of the Skene controller at the white and violet/orange wires when it gets 12v in thru the red wire. This doesn't seem right to me and would make sense why I was getting feedback in to my electrical system.

@Reegsy - does this make any sense to you???

17. Apr 8, 2019 at 1:08 PM
    Reegsy

Reegsy Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Umh, it sounds like you might have hooked something wrong. The orange/white and violet/white connect together and to the lamps, the solid orange and violet go to the drain of one of the mosfets. The drain voltage of a P-type mosfet will match the voltage on the source pin when there is no voltage on the gate pin.

If you in fact have the white/orange white/violet hooked to the drain pin of the mosfet, I don't know what this will do. The white/orange white/violet are outputs from whatever microcontroller(uC) is working in the little skene box, the solid orange and violet would be inputs to the uC. I cant't imagine that driving the output wires to 12V reguarly would be good for anything. The output of the uC that is supposed to go to the lamps, I'm guessing, puts out a pulse wave modulated signal (PWM). That's how the controller creates the different brightness levels, by varying the duty cycle of the PWM outputs. You are using aftermarket LED foglights for this? Running halogen bulbs with this controller will likely not work. LEDs can run on PWM while halogen bulbs will not. Maybe I should have mentioned this earlier, but didn't think anyone would want the factory foglights any dimmer than they already are. Skene's instructions also state that this is for use on LED lights only.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  18. Apr 8, 2019 at 2:04 PM
    Metallikatz3

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
    I think I got everything hooked up right since it worked for a few days and then just stopped.

I got in touch with Skene and they're sending me another controller as a warranty replacement since it looks like something inside the unit shorted out.

19. Apr 8, 2019 at 2:05 PM
    Reegsy

Reegsy Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Good to know they are backing their products

20. Apr 11, 2019 at 10:46 AM
    Grumpysedc

Grumpysedc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Miami, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport
    There is a very easy way to make your Gen 3 fog lights always be on when the truck is on. Or you can even add a switch like I did on mine, so that if for any reason if you do want to turn them off you can. You really do not have to buy anything except a fuse tap some wire and terminal ends. If you guys are interested I can try and write it up.

Products Discussed in

To Top