1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd gen tacoma anytime fog mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by cdubray, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Jan 29, 2020 at 1:58 PM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    This is what I have as well on my 2019 Sport but also has Auto on the outer ring

2. Jan 29, 2020 at 2:04 PM
    mlr69

mlr69 I had a savings account before I joined TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    2" ToyTec/Eibach Pro Sport Lift Kit -SparksParts.com 3/4" ToyTec Front Top Plate Spacer Kit -SparksParts.com SPC Performance Upper Control Arms -SparksParts.com Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/75/17 (34") -SparksParts.com 1.25" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers -SparksParts.com Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator -hypertech.com Predator Tube Steps -SparksParts.com BAKFlip G2 Tonneau -SparksParts.com OEM Rubber Bed Mat -SparksParts.com OEM All-weather Floor Liners -SparksParts.com Gentex Frameless Mirror with Homelink @RJP869 Subaru/Kicker Tweeters -amazon.com Kicker Door Speakers (x4) -crutchfield.com Radio Knobs @Tacowiede Vehicle OCD Glove Box Organizer -amazon.com ‎JoyTutus Center Console Tray -amazon.com FormulaOne Pinnacle Window Tint -SparksParts.com ACDF Horn Kit @BartMaster1234 Total Tail Light S1 Kit @MESO ECT Button Relocation Kit @Tacowiede Minimalist Key Fobs @MESO Ultimate Map & Dome Lights @MESO Fortin EVO-ALL Remote Start w/Cell Module @jmeitz Coin Bucket with Lid @MESO GermesLab Camera Control System @FreshMexicanTaco Natika Front View Camera -amazon.com VLEDS LP Reverse Light System -vleds.com LIFTd Customs Fuel Cap Cradle @JIMMEISTER OEM Power Tailgate Lock -SparksParts.com OEM 2022 Limited Grille -SparksParts.com OEM 2022 Limited LED Headlamps -SparksParts.com LED Headlight Conversion Harness @daveeasa Headlight Trim Plates @MESO OEM Door Sill Protectors -SparksParts.com Diode Dynamics Elite Fog Lights @memario1214 Fog Light Backlighting PNP Harness @daveeasa
    Without the mod, the fog lights do not turn on unless your parking lights or headlights are on, even though the fog light switch is on. With the mod, you can turn on the fog lights without having any other lights on.

With your fog light switch on and your headlights and parking lights off, see what happens.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  3. Jan 29, 2020 at 2:06 PM
    mlr69

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    2" ToyTec/Eibach Pro Sport Lift Kit -SparksParts.com 3/4" ToyTec Front Top Plate Spacer Kit -SparksParts.com SPC Performance Upper Control Arms -SparksParts.com Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/75/17 (34") -SparksParts.com 1.25" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers -SparksParts.com Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator -hypertech.com Predator Tube Steps -SparksParts.com BAKFlip G2 Tonneau -SparksParts.com OEM Rubber Bed Mat -SparksParts.com OEM All-weather Floor Liners -SparksParts.com Gentex Frameless Mirror with Homelink @RJP869 Subaru/Kicker Tweeters -amazon.com Kicker Door Speakers (x4) -crutchfield.com Radio Knobs @Tacowiede Vehicle OCD Glove Box Organizer -amazon.com ‎JoyTutus Center Console Tray -amazon.com FormulaOne Pinnacle Window Tint -SparksParts.com ACDF Horn Kit @BartMaster1234 Total Tail Light S1 Kit @MESO ECT Button Relocation Kit @Tacowiede Minimalist Key Fobs @MESO Ultimate Map & Dome Lights @MESO Fortin EVO-ALL Remote Start w/Cell Module @jmeitz Coin Bucket with Lid @MESO GermesLab Camera Control System @FreshMexicanTaco Natika Front View Camera -amazon.com VLEDS LP Reverse Light System -vleds.com LIFTd Customs Fuel Cap Cradle @JIMMEISTER OEM Power Tailgate Lock -SparksParts.com OEM 2022 Limited Grille -SparksParts.com OEM 2022 Limited LED Headlamps -SparksParts.com LED Headlight Conversion Harness @daveeasa Headlight Trim Plates @MESO OEM Door Sill Protectors -SparksParts.com Diode Dynamics Elite Fog Lights @memario1214 Fog Light Backlighting PNP Harness @daveeasa
    Yea, my Sport didn't come with the auto-headlights, no light sensor on the dash either, just a cutout for it.

4. Jan 29, 2020 at 3:35 PM
    CanesFan95

CanesFan95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Currently Shopping...
    Man, am I reading this right. So the truck doesn't let you just turn on the fog lights whenever yuo want?

5. Jan 29, 2020 at 3:37 PM
    mlr69

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Without any mods, yes, that should be the csse.

6. Jan 29, 2020 at 3:40 PM
    CanesFan95

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Currently Shopping...
    Dang, that kinda sucks. Why would they do that? So I guess at a minimum, you must have the headlights on first to get the fog lights on.

7. Jan 29, 2020 at 3:45 PM
    CanesFan95

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Currently Shopping...
    Something else I noticed at the dealer the other day. I haven't bought the truck yet, so haven't had much chance to figure things out. But when you put the headlights on, it makes the instrument panel lights dim halfway. I want it to keep the same brightness as with out the headlights on. I know you can turn it up while the headlights are on, but it still doesn't seem to let you make it as bright as when the headlights are off. Any way to correct this?

I believe other Toyotas have a similar thing where the instrument lights get dim when you put the headlights on and I hate that.

8. Jan 29, 2020 at 3:47 PM
    mlr69

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Not sure why they do it, and it's not just Toyota, my wife's Renegade is the same way. Yea, parking lights or headlights have to on before the fog lights will come on, unless you do this mod.

9. Jan 29, 2020 at 3:57 PM
    Bunk Moreland

Bunk Moreland Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bunk
    It's complicated.
    There's some U.S. motor vehicle law that requires the low-beam headlights to be on, for the fog lights to work. AND, that the fog lights cannot be on, when the high-beams are on.

over60 likes this.
  10. Jan 29, 2020 at 4:37 PM
    mlr69

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Have you tried to turn up the brightness?

upload_2020-1-29_19-37-39.jpg

TacoPandaTRD and GreyBaldTaco like this.
  11. Jan 29, 2020 at 4:39 PM
    CanesFan95

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Currently Shopping...
    Of course. But when the headlights were on, the max brightness was dimmer than the max brightness when they're off.

12. Jan 29, 2020 at 4:42 PM
    Bunk Moreland

Bunk Moreland Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bunk
    It's complicated.
    Yes. Because the headlights being on is a signal to the dash lights that they should dim. The reasoning is that if the headlights are on, the outside conditions must be dark--dimming the dash lights is meant to reduce blinding the driver.

But then we've also seen people driving in pitch-black conditions, and no lights whatsoever.

13. Jan 29, 2020 at 8:46 PM
    sportracer829

sportracer829 Taco Tuesdays... PShhh Taco Everyday!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black TRD PRO DCSB
    Thank you for the response. I guess it probably is a good idea to put a switch in place so i dont blind anyone. I dont spend much time on public roads its mostly offroad for work but that does not mean i am never on public roads so dimming would be rather nice of me. I want to leave the factory harness intact as well so i guess if i buy that little change over adapter then i can cut off the side that fits the factory harness and it is only a 10 dollar part instead. Well time to get to work thanks again.

14. Jan 29, 2020 at 9:44 PM
    sportracer829

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black TRD PRO DCSB
    So I was thinking of how I could use a switch for this application and came up with the idea of using an OEM style fog light button. Still the fogs will turn on with the normal switch on the steering column but connected to the yellow wire will be the OEM style switch like everyone uses for light bars ect. It will illuminate just like a regular switch but when you push it in "on" will be bright and out "off" will be dim setting. I wont have the middle setting but at leaste i can dim them on public roads... :D

15. Jan 29, 2020 at 11:33 PM
    Garab

Garab Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport MT6 DCSB
    OVtune 2.0 TRD Sema wheels 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT/3 SL ADM BAKflip mx4
    I guess i dont see the need to have my fogs turn on without the DRL.

Weird i can turn mine on with only the DRL LED on, headlights off. Not sure why i need them to come on without the DRL.

16. Feb 3, 2020 at 1:29 AM
    sportracer829

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black TRD PRO DCSB
    So I started this today thanks to you @cdubray and @Reegsy for the pictures and the information. I have the wiring chip ready and waiting for the new fogs to come on Friday from @CaliRaisedLed and I am super excited to wire them up and the bumper light bar and ditch lights. Here is what I have done so far. I even made a little box for the IQ-275 and MOSFET chips.
    20200202_235843.jpg 20200202_235848.jpg 20200202_235858.jpg 20200203_020359.jpg

Reegsy likes this.
  17. Feb 3, 2020 at 3:51 AM
    uploadadventure

uploadadventure It’s all @ColoradoTJ’s fault

Member:
    Dixon, Mo
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tacoma TRD OR (sold) 05 Duramax
    Not to step on toes here...
    But there is a plug and play on the market. For under $100.. just a thought, here.

Slickestwilly and mlr69 like this.
  18. Feb 3, 2020 at 1:08 PM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    It is illegal here in WA, AFAIK. Sadly, cops don't enforce it nor driving 24/7 with high beams one.

The only reason that I want to use the mod is for no oncoming traffic, esp on dark backroads.

19. Feb 3, 2020 at 1:53 PM
    mlr69

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Ultimately it's up to the driver to make the right decision on when and what lights to turn on. There's a right/wrong time for just high-beams too, but people here where I live run their high-beams all the time at night and don't give a crap about blinding oncoming drivers.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    over60, Jeff Lange and tonered like this.
  20. Feb 3, 2020 at 4:46 PM
    sportracer829

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black TRD PRO DCSB
    Yeah I looked into that one and decided to go the route that I went for two reasons.

The first reason is it's not illegal in Colorado to drive around with your fogs on.
    The second reason is I spent a lot of time on backroads for work sometimes on the night shift and its dark as F**K at night. This Chip gives me the ability to change how bright the fogs are and you can program the high medium and low setting to your liking of brightness. So for me when I am offroad I will have the high set to 100% brightness and when I get to public roads then I can switch it to a low setting and not blind any oncoming drivers. This chip gives me the added ability to still have them on when my high beams are on for added offroad visibility.

Products Discussed in

To Top