1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd gen Tacoma Appreciation thread

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Junkhead, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Dec 4, 2019 at 9:30 PM
    WSchafer

WSchafer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2020 Midnight Black Metallic 4Runner TRD OR
    I love everything about my truck, it does all I ask and more. If I had it all to do over I’d have gotten a Tacoma back in 2013 instead of the F150 I had before hand, I really don’t think there’s a better all around vehicle out here.

2. Dec 4, 2019 at 9:47 PM
    RNO_TACO

RNO_TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Roseville, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Grey Tacoma TRD Off-road 4x4 DCSB
    A.R.E. Topper with victory topper rack, blacked out exterior emblems, star armor side steps, TRD CAI, TRD Pro exhaust, Method MR305 NV 16in Rims, TRD PRO front grill, Meso coin holder, TRD Pro skid plate, Kings 2.5 coilovers with remote resis front and rear, OME HD Dakar’s, ECGS, LT285/75R16 KM3s, Dirt king UCAs, Meso gas cap holder, Meso blacked out interior kit, TRD start/stop red button, AVS low profile window guards, AVS low profile hood protector, Full LED upgrades inside and outside, decked bed storage system. And I’m sure there’s more I’m missing lol
    It drove great, no issues. The suspension was awesome. The gas mileage was good. Just had a lot of emission annoyances pop up. Dpf failures, re gens that couldn’t complete and needed dealer input to clear, that kind of stuff. After 30k miles I knew it was going to cost a fortune outside the warranty to fix so that’s when I decided to go back to my beloved Tacoma that I ditched for the ZR2. Plus don’t break a shock on the ZR2 outside of warranty, 800 to replace one. No joking. I think I made the right decision. Hope this helps.

3. Dec 5, 2019 at 12:04 AM
    docsg

docsg Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 White TRD OR SBDC
    Raptor 4" oval rails, OEM door sill protectors, totally debadged, OEM mud guards, OEM bed mat, OEM S/S tail pipe extension, BDT tailgate letters, Weather Tech sun screen.
    I bought my 2020 TRD OR in mid-October. It had 4 miles on the odometer when I picked it up and it now has 1650 miles. I had a 2016 SR5 before. It had all the TSB's done to it and by 25,000 miles it ran great (no gear searching, no squeaking springs, among others-super dealership!). So far I have had NO issues with the '20 and hope it stays that way. Several members wrote about the differences in ride between the OR, Sport, and SR5. To be honest, I can't tell much difference between the ride of the new OR and the '16 SR5.

Junkhead[OP] likes this.
  4. Dec 5, 2019 at 5:05 AM
    WoodsGhost

WoodsGhost Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR:2016 4Runner
    I love this truck. I bought it back in Aug this year. 2017 offroad with 25k mi. Shifts fine, love the power, great fuel economy. No complaints at all as of yet.

7AE8075C-789C-407E-9D87-BCAD0B7AF2B6.jpg

5. Dec 5, 2019 at 6:11 AM
    guru

guru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ** トヨタ・タコマ **
    Okay, I will chime in too. I put a deposit down for my 2020 Off Road back in April, not exactly knowing which updates would be included in the new model year. I've owned many trucks and cars (still do) but it is my first Tacoma.

I then visited the forum on a daily basis to keep me informed and entertained.
    Reading all the horror stories made me almost believe that I made the wrong choice. Was my test drive a fluke? Was I blind?

My truck was delivered at the end of October. The experience was awesome and the dealer was great. And the truck itself exceeded my expectations (which was of course influenced by all the info here).
    I added a tint, dashcam and a tonneau cover and immediately took it on an extended road trip/shake down (5000+ miles). It performed flawless. Quiet, solid, no weird shifting. Seats are great, gas mileage good and the added 2020 features came in handy.
    Safety features like lane keep assist, adaptive cruise, auto headlights, it all worked great. The head unit works great and sounds good.
    I was so blown away that I got all excited and made an appointment for a Toyota factory visit in San Antonio so see the birthplace of my new found baby. This experience cemented my conviction the this is one of my best automotive choices so far. The (free!) tour was awesome, the workers seemed proud and were friendly and the production process impressive.

Are there things I would like to change? Of course, but they are mostly cosmetic. The truck for me is more than just a form of transport. It's a hobby and modding is part of it after all. I'd love some LED headlights (not possible to factory order here) and some little add ons here and there but nothing major.

I know it will be cheap to maintain, easy to insure and it will hold its value, not that I will sell it anytime soon. And now that the weather has turned, the truck proves again that I have made the right choice.

IMG_1325.jpg

6. Dec 5, 2019 at 6:20 AM
    GSDLVR123

GSDLVR123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randall
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro (Solar Octane)
    Thank God you were OK - it was a great looking truck!!!

Junkhead[OP] and Dryfly24 like this.
  7. Dec 5, 2019 at 6:25 AM
    johnnyroid

johnnyroid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vine Grove (Fort Knox) Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma Sport TRD
    Your post would hold more water if you maybe listed your "bunch of little issues" to provide context, and stereotyping everyone who doesn't hold the same opinion as you would also lend credibility to your input. Wait, what was that input anyway, other than just trying to start shit?

44-16 Taco and MidWestTRDPro like this.
  8. Dec 5, 2019 at 6:28 AM
    ryan760

ryan760 Well-Known Member

Member:
  9. Dec 5, 2019 at 6:33 AM
    Speedfreak

Speedfreak Member in poor standing

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Canada Eh!
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB 6MT, Blazing Blue Pearl
    Manual Mall Crawler
    This is the 3rd gen forum, where unicorns ride free and where shit posting is the rule and not the exception.

images (10).jpg

10. Dec 5, 2019 at 6:51 AM
    jlemmond

jlemmond Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    Monroe, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    Yea. It was a blessing that i was able to walk away. He bent the frame so bad that the gap between the cab and bed was non existent anymore and pushed the bed about 10 inches into the cab.

Its crazy to sit back and think about a couple months later

Dryfly24 and GSDLVR123[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Dec 5, 2019 at 6:54 AM
    GSDLVR123

GSDLVR123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randall
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro (Solar Octane)
    I'm a devoted Christian (atheist for first 30 plus years of my life) - so for me I believe you are here for a reason (to Glorify God) - The fact you are here after that accident, maybe a clarity moment to understand YOU indeed can make a difference.

12. Dec 5, 2019 at 6:57 AM
    The hammer

The hammer Who’s the Wrench?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tacoma SR5 4X4 DCLB TSS Pkg 17X8" BSW-Cooper DIscoverer AT3 4s P265/65/17
    Underworld Flex trifold, tinted, TRDPRO grill, TRDPRO shift knob, etc,etc
    That’s a normal characteristic for these trucks, in other words, working as intended.

Which is to say,

[​IMG]

Cheers!

13. Dec 5, 2019 at 6:58 AM
    skiploder

skiploder Personally holding a grudge against Falken

Member:
    Somewhere NE of Kanab
    Vehicle:
    FZJ80/XJ LS swap

He's a witch! Burn him!

WSchafer[QUOTED] and Dryfly24 like this.
  14. Dec 5, 2019 at 7:04 AM
    Dryfly24

Dryfly24 He’s a leprechaun. He tells me to burn things.

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2020 Jeep Gladaitor - Formerly 2019 Tacoma OR SB
    See that’s the thing that bothers me about the constant whining here. Nobody is saying the truck is perfect. But all the whining in the world won’t make it so. Most of the issues people cry about are were easily discernible before purchasing.

Things like “not enough tech”, “my seat isn’t comfortable and doesn’t adjust enough”’, “the truck shifts weird”, “the radio sucks”, “there’s not enough room and it’s cramped compared to my stretch limo...”, etc. that’s all shit they chose to go with anyway.

If that was true, there would be around ten people left on their site... o_O:rofl:

These guys will never stop because they aren’t problem solvers. There are two types of people in the world when confronted with problems. Those that will try to solve the issue, and those that will stand there and cry about it hoping someone will come by and solve it for them. And I’ll even go a step further and say most of those things aren’t even really “problems” per say, they are dislikes that were there before they bought the truck!

Who is making a truck in this weight class that with a little work, is as off road capable and with as good a proven track record for reliability? Those were the major likes for me.

I’m gonna let you guys in on a little secret. Contrary to what someone might believe from reading my posts, I wasn’t enamored with this truck as it came from the factory. There were a bunch of little things that I really didn’t like - but there were a lot of bigger things about it that I did. So I weighed the smaller things vs. the bigger things. I knew those little things could be dealt with so I fixed the small ones that really bothered me and now I have the truck I wanted all along.

I suppose I could’ve left it alone, held my breath and stomped my feet like a petulant five year old and cried my eyes out about everything I didn’t like instead of just fixing those issues but I doubt I’d be driving this today if I had... :D

60685F17-BAEC-428F-8FD5-1B0D00611499.jpg

15. Dec 5, 2019 at 9:01 AM
    Superdave1.0

Superdave1.0 Grandma Dave

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    Man, a whole essay for one comment. Just proving my point, Tacoma defenders in full force! Way to assume that my issues are just arbitrary and a characteristic of the vehicle that I should have noticed on a test drive. I should have asked the dealer to let me borrow it for a month to see if I like it or not. Some of these are already TSB's but there are some credible issues that I have:

1. Coolant leaking out of reservoir bottle, coolant sprayed all over engine bay.
    2. Rear diff leaking
    3. Power steering reservoir leaking
    4. Trans still shifts like crap (S4 helps a lot)
    5. Dead pedal (A characteristic of modern emissions tuning, that one gets a pass).
    6. Idle surge when turning steering wheel (very noticeable when backing out of a tight spot. I've almost hit the wall or other cars as the rpm surges and it causes the truck to lunge forward or backward).

With all that said I'm still stoked to own this truck and it does great offroad and on road for my needs. I've owned a bunch of Toyota/Lexus trucks and they all have their quirks. Please don't get in your feels so easy, not good for your health.

20190904_155622.jpg 20190720_153325.jpg 20191104_141549.jpg 20191104_141508.jpg

The hammer, Junkhead[OP] and boynoyce like this.
  16. Dec 5, 2019 at 9:07 AM
    Dryfly24

Dryfly24 He’s a leprechaun. He tells me to burn things.

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2020 Jeep Gladaitor - Formerly 2019 Tacoma OR SB
    Wow, your truck sucks. I don’t have those issues, mine turned out awesome. Too bad for you bro. No wonder your feelings are hurt.

Better luck next time... ;)

:rofl:

17. Dec 5, 2019 at 9:19 AM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16SR5AC4X4V6QS
    Solid post.

I have learned many good things here, and when someone like you reports an issue with your truck, it helps everyone reading it by pointing out something to look out for.

I would guess for every member posting here, there are probably 30 members who never post anything.

Good, bad or indifferent, there is much to be gained here.

Now please stop posting anything negative in this thread...it's a safe space for happy thoughts*

*sarcasm

18. Dec 5, 2019 at 9:41 AM
    MidWestTRDPro

MidWestTRDPro Well-Known Member

Member:
    C-bus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
    As much as $ will allow
    APPRECIATION...not bitching LOL

8A371381-3657-400B-8F51-114909C18794.jpg

19. Dec 5, 2019 at 9:41 AM
    jlemmond

jlemmond Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    Monroe, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    I myself am also a brother in christ and a believer. Ive been washed in the blood and saved by grace. It was indeed a miracle and all the glory goes to god. Thanks for the kind words man. Have a blessed day.

20. Dec 5, 2019 at 9:42 AM
    Junkhead

Junkhead [OP] TRDude

Member:
    First Name:
    Serge
    Prince George, BC
    Vehicle:
    Black 4x4 Sport MT 2018
    Some Serious Tires
    Shit, thats a lot of issues, really sucks man, i would not be a happy camper. Thank god i got none of those, my diff has 3 small "sweat" spots and thats about it. Why the fuck is your coolant leaking like that? Hopefully your truck is better now.

By the way, your post has been reported and ban is coming soon:p

Must continue my warm and fuzzy thread, friday is just around the corner.

Products Discussed in

To Top