1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen. Tacoma Front, Rear Camera, Navigation Bypass, Homelink, Smartphone Mirroring Mod.

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Hoangde, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Mar 25, 2017 at 9:43 AM
    Hoangde

Hoangde [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    You are correct, it is the 12 v accessory power in your red line

2. Mar 25, 2017 at 10:00 AM
    Hoangde

Member:
    Thanks @Dudeman86 for the nice wheels, my brother got and installed in his 4Runner.
    Now I have to search for mine again.

BTW: Just installed Front and Rear LED light Bars as we discussed. See here

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  3. Mar 25, 2017 at 10:02 PM
    Istan

Istan Leave it stock they said

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Vegas and Yuma
    Vehicle:
    03 Xtra Cab 5Speed 4*4
    A costly, and useless for some people, option is to get a sonic or crux wiring harness used for mirroring phones to the head unit. It is basically a complete radio harness that will plug in between the factory harness and radio. It will also come with a the vehicle in motion mod. I purchased it specially to mirror my phone but realized I could do the backup anytime mod, vehicle in motion, and now it's looking like front can't mod.

Bastek likes this.
  4. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:00 AM
    Arkie-Marty

Arkie-Marty I'm not a real DIY expert, I just play one on TW.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    Searcy, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 Sport DCSB, Magnetic Gray
    MODS COMPLETED IN MY TACOMA CAREER (2015 & 2017): WeatherTech Floor Mats, Chrome Nerf Bars, Under Hood LED Lights, Glove Box LED Lights, Cup Holder LED Lights, Center Console LED Lights, LED Bed Lights, Dual USB Port Console Install, 12v Power Outlet in Bed, 12v Power Outlet Under Hood, Gentex 177 Rearview Mirror w/Temp & Compass, @ImMrYo's Rearview Mirror Relocation Bracket Mod, Disable Lock/Unlock Beeps Mod, Under Door Projector/Puddle Lights, Behind Rear Seat Storage LED Lights.
    Ok, just wanted to make sure. Just curious, what prevents 12v from traveling through 87 back to pin 2?

5. Mar 26, 2017 at 5:40 AM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Switch1 being open (as in the circuit is off).

Relays can be used a couple of different ways, here is a pretty good write of Bosch type relays:

[​IMG]

More details on this page:

http://www.rattlebars.com/avalanche/relay_basics.html

6. Mar 26, 2017 at 10:53 AM
    Arkie-Marty

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    Searcy, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    MODS COMPLETED IN MY TACOMA CAREER (2015 & 2017): WeatherTech Floor Mats, Chrome Nerf Bars, Under Hood LED Lights, Glove Box LED Lights, Cup Holder LED Lights, Center Console LED Lights, LED Bed Lights, Dual USB Port Console Install, 12v Power Outlet in Bed, 12v Power Outlet Under Hood, Gentex 177 Rearview Mirror w/Temp & Compass, @ImMrYo's Rearview Mirror Relocation Bracket Mod, Disable Lock/Unlock Beeps Mod, Under Door Projector/Puddle Lights, Behind Rear Seat Storage LED Lights.
    Admittedly, I'm not educated in electricity and this is my first time working with a relay, so your feedback and that Bosch style chart are greatly appreciated. I printed it off to hang in my shop!

However, it still seems to me that closing switch 1 would allow 12v+ to flow FROM (my red line I drew on the schematic) INTO 87 with a direct route to 30, unless there is a diode at 87 to prevent this. According to the link you provided the only mention of an internal diode was between 85 & 86.

If I understand correctly, when switch 1 closes, the relay also closes the contacts between 30 & 87, which would normally allow the current to flow INTO 30 and OUT of 87. That being the case, can the current flow backwards from 87 to 30?

What am I missing?

Also, is pin 2 a power source for the reverse camera or just a signal wire?

7. Mar 26, 2017 at 12:55 PM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Simple answer is no that's not what will happen.

I feel like the appropriate answer here (or anyone else with similar questions) is to purchase yourself an inexpensive multimeter. I'm sure you could get one on Amazon for under $20 and locally for under $30. They wouldn't be the kind of meter a tech should rely on to earn his living but it will give you the answers you are looking for when working with a relay like this. This way you can sit down in your house at your leisure and prove to yourself that you can make that relay behave like it should per some wiring diagram. If you can't make it work on your bench at home nothing good can happen when splicing into your vehicle blindly. It would be handy to have a couple of old DC power supplies laying around with at least one being 12vdc to replicate your truck voltage, or run a temporary wire off the battery. On the meter you can use the DC function to see the actual voltage and the OHM function to see the open and closing of contacts.

The pin2 question is yes, that is a signal wire from when the truck is put in reverse, that wire lights up at 12vdc. When not in reverse 12vdc is missing. Just assume a "signal" circuit like this is only strong enough to power a simple relay and not some piece of gear or lights (even tiny LEDs).

8. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:31 PM
    Arkie-Marty

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    Searcy, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Thanks brother, I have all of those things and more. I just need to learn to trust myself more when using them. :thumbsup:

9. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:35 PM
    Hoangde

Member:
    1./ Upon S1 is closing:
    a./ +12V flow to pin 85 which will (provide +12V) connect pin 87 to pin 30 then to pin 2 (Pull high on pin 2 which turn on video screen for camera)
    b./ +12V flow to Front Camera which turn ON the Camera (Assuming that you do connect the black wire from Camera Power wires to ground).

2./ Upon S1 is open
    a./ Cut off +12V from Accessory power (to relay and Front Camera) and will connect pin 87a to pin 30 (Return HU to normal operation as you never modify anything).
    b./ Front Camera is no longer have power which is OFF (and if happens SW2 switched to Front Camera then HU displays nothing, dark).

SW2 switch is only allow user to toggle between Front OR Rear Camera

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Arkie-Marty[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Mar 26, 2017 at 5:26 PM
    Arkie-Marty

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    Searcy, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    SUCCESS!!! :bananadance: Thank you @Hoangde and @gorram for your patience and guidance! :bowdown:

Hoangde[OP] and gorram like this.
  11. Mar 26, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    Arkie-Marty

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    Searcy, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    After MUCH deliberation I chose to install my SW2 switch a bit higher than the OP for easier access. I'm a big guy with serious back problems so the less bending I do, the better. I really like it because it's pretty much "hidden" in plain sight.

SW2 switch
    IMG_1320.jpg

S1 switch.
    image.jpg

12. Mar 26, 2017 at 5:42 PM
    Hoangde

Member:
    Congratulation, you did it

Arkie-Marty[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Mar 27, 2017 at 9:59 AM
    Hoangde

Member:
    Ready for next mod on 28 pin connector ?
    you can do Wifi Smartphone Mirroring (MIRROR smartphone screen on HU and audio sound (Waze, Google map, Hulu, youtube ...etc OR input another video signal such as more camera on top of the trailer ...etc) ), for as low as the cost of this module: 1 Mirabox Car WiFi Mirrorlink Display Airplay DLNA Mirroring
    Or
    Wifi Mirror
    3 pieces Female RCA Phono Jack Connectors
    All you have to do is mod. some wires on 28 pin cable.
    Also you can mod on pin 17 to "Navigation Lockout Bypass (allow user to enter address ...etc while the truck is in motion).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Beerpayzdabillz and Arkie-Marty like this.
  14. Mar 27, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    BadRobot62

BadRobot62 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Level kit,
    So Hoangde have you done this mod yet are is it on your list, would be interested in doing this one.

Thanks
    David

lshep and Arkie-Marty like this.
  15. Mar 27, 2017 at 10:21 AM
    Arkie-Marty

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    Searcy, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Dude! I just now put that in my Amazon wishlist for future projects!:thumbsup:

16. Mar 27, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    Hoangde

Member:
    Not on my Taco (SR5 doesn't have Navi., ...etc) and don't want to (got Hondo phone mount).
    Did a few for my friends.

17. Mar 27, 2017 at 11:08 AM
    bizarrocolin

bizarrocolin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Blue 2016 TRD OR 4x4 DCLB
    How does one become your friend?

Arkie-Marty likes this.
  18. Mar 27, 2017 at 3:26 PM
    Hoangde

Member:
    We are working in the same companies for over 10 years :confused:

19. Mar 27, 2017 at 8:03 PM
    Edward R

Edward R Edwood

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Eugene
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDORDCLB
    Leer 100xr shell. STMaxx 255/85. HeadStrong 5100 kit with 3leaf AAL. Clazzio matched seat covers.
    I already did the anytime camera mod, can I just add a front cam and add a DPDT switch in at the sw2 that you listed on your schematic?

20. Mar 27, 2017 at 9:26 PM
    Hoangde

Member:
    Yes you can, but you must also find a way to power ON/OFF the Front Camera.
    IMHO, you can connect your Front Camera (one I listed in page 1) +12V to Pin 2 (at the HU's end, not other end) of 28 pin to to power your Camera. Camera draws such a small current (<100mA) so it does not do any damage to pin 2 resources at all.
    Doing as I mentioned IMHO above, you need to keep in mind that anytime you push your ANYTIME switch (the one that you installed before this mod) OR put in reverse gear, the Front Camera also turn ON.

Products Discussed in

To Top