1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen Tacoma Power Folding Mirrors

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2016-2023)' started by KTJO 4x4, Mar 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 26, 2019 at 9:46 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    Got it done! Just found acc power and manually added it. Just a different connector than what comes with the kit I guess.

Everything works fine except my driver mirror adjuster doesn’t work anymore. Passenger side works fine.

Any ideas? I wonder if one of the wires got cut with that plate. Otherwise I don’t know what else I would have forgotten.

fatboyfirebass likes this.
  2. Dec 26, 2019 at 11:24 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    Does anyone have a copy of the user manual? Mine looks like it was done on the ink cartridges last leg. I can’t read mine.

3. Dec 27, 2019 at 3:31 AM
    NoOne

NoOne El Taco Guapo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ø ©
    Gulf South
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCLB OR (AT) - MGM
    2018 SR5 - (Sold) 2018 OR (or what?) Louisiana Edition
    User manual? It’s in your entune app as well as online at Toyota.
    This project guide? Someone posted the pdf a page or two back.

4. Dec 27, 2019 at 7:39 AM
    fatboyfirebass

fatboyfirebass Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blk TRD OR DCSB MT6 Prem/Tech Pkgs
    OV Tuned, S&B Intake, MBRP Dual black Cat-back, accumulator delete, URD SS, 2LM, SSO Hybrid bumper/Warn 10kSynthetic, Custom Car Grille, MESO Ultimate Turn Signal in KTJO Power Folding Mirrors, Genesis Dual Battery, BHLM with LED upgrade, Fog delete, Geko Bed & Underhood lighting, Rear camera anytime, Nav Block Override, 400W anytime w/ interior outlets, USB charging stations, DE-badged, TVD blackout kit, HiLux interior door handles, Hybrid SS/Delrin Shift Knob, Cali-Raised bed Stiffeners, Ultimate Tailgate Seal, "El Dorado" Dual-quad horns, Diamondback HD cover, Mobtown engine/trans skid plates, RCI control arm skids, JLT oil catch can, Meso overhead Hex rack.
    Good to hear! Glad you got it.
    If blinker, BSM, heater, and folder work, just not the adjust, I'd agree ,probably something inside the mirror mechanism. I opted for the prebuilt units so, I can't really offer any insight as to what is going on inside the mirror housing itself.

5. Dec 28, 2019 at 1:51 AM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    I’ll go back and check the other pages. I’m talking about the manual that comes with the kit that explains the different settings.

I feel like I am pretty sure I know what I did. I think I forgot to reconnect one of the plugs inside the mirror. I might look at a wiring diagram to see if it’s the plug I think it is. Who knows. Either way it’s all done and I don’t care too much that I can’t adjust with the knob. I just want to fix so it works like factory.

6. Dec 28, 2019 at 3:40 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    Has anyone had this issue.

I can lock my doors and the mirrors fold. I then unlock and get and the mirrors open. I start it nothing changes. But once I shift out of park they fold and they won’t unfold unless I shift to park. The switch doesn’t seem to do anything either.

7. Dec 28, 2019 at 5:37 PM
    AllenOne1

AllenOne1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport / 2018 TRD Off Road
    Gen2: Access cab platform, Gen3: MESO Puddle Lights, KTJO Power Folding Mirrors,
    Do the doors lock when you take the truck out of park?

fatboyfirebass likes this.
  8. Dec 28, 2019 at 6:28 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    Good call. I’ll check that.

I’ll also say they worked perfectly fine up until today. Left a store and then had this weird issue.

9. Dec 28, 2019 at 7:16 PM
    TacoTruck808

TacoTruck808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu in the Aloha State!
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB, Prem & Tech Pkg, MGM
    I haven’t had any issues like that since it was installed.

10. Dec 28, 2019 at 10:40 PM
    Rainoffire

Rainoffire Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCLB TRD Sport
    No issues on mine, other than that I think I need to grease up the hinge.

11. Dec 31, 2019 at 11:07 AM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    If someone has a chance try this and let me know what happens.

I put the fuse back in and everything worked fine for maybe 3-4 starts. Then it started doing it again. @AllenOne1 had a good point. If the problem happens once not in park the mirrors fold. I can unfold and fold them with the lock button now.

After some testing I’ve found that if I start the truck and let it idle for five minutes or so then drive off I get the problem. If I only start it and idle for a less than a minute or so I don’t get the problem. I’ve replicated a few times doing this.

Side note...my switch still doesn’t anything. No matter which position it’s in everything functions the same.

KTJO 4x4[OP] likes this.
  12. Dec 31, 2019 at 12:06 PM
    AllenOne1

AllenOne1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport / 2018 TRD Off Road
    Gen2: Access cab platform, Gen3: MESO Puddle Lights, KTJO Power Folding Mirrors,
    Did it blow a fuse or did you take the fuse out to reset the system and then just replaced it? The time issue has me puzzled, what changes between 1 minute and 5 minutes??? My first thought was do you have a bad control switch that is causing this but again how is that being affected by time. A replacement switch would be pretty quick to see what happens but i don't know what the part number is or how much it costs. What if you were to plug the original switch back in and see if the same series of events take place based on time? Of course you would have no switch function but it might test everything else.

If I recall correctly you tapped your power from a different source than everyone else has used you may want to look at that area as well.

Wasn't there a guy posting on here a few weeks back about being an electrical troubleshooting expert?

13. Jan 2, 2020 at 8:50 PM
    KTJO 4x4

KTJO 4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4 DCSB BARCELONA RED
    Nitro 4.88 Gears OVTune 1.05 91Oct DirtyDeeds Exhaust
    What issue are you getting. I’m kind of lost with all the problems are having? It sounds to me like you have tapped into the wrong wire and therefore when you shift out of park it is triggering your mirrors to fold by giving them power. I’m not sure why you wired them differently than the instructions but I would go back to the install instructions and start again.

14. Jan 2, 2020 at 8:58 PM
    KTJO 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    That big Connector is a Plug-N-Play that your master Switch Connector plugs into and then it will plug into your switch panel. The white wire that comes out of it will plug into your OEM O1Connector that you have pictured multiple times. As well as the other three extra wires. If your mirrors are doing the opposite things, chances are you have done wires installed backwards. Switch them around until your switch is working properly. If your adjustment switch isn’t working on one side. Take your mirror apart back to the adjustment actuator and follow the wires from there out. That’s the easiest way to make sure everything is good. Make sure all your pins are pushed in all the way in your connector. If they are not seeded all the way, they may need be getting a connections with the switch.

15. Jan 2, 2020 at 9:08 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter

I didn’t have a choice. That big harness adapter I got didn’t fit any connectors inside my door. I was missing the acc power as indicated by another user. So I found the “correct” wire and spliced it in. Another user said he didn’t recognize that big harness either. Is there a possibility that there are two different harness types?

Sorry for clogging your thread with the issues. I didn’t have anywhere else to go.

The mirrors aren’t doing anything opposite. Just behaving oddly. Sometimes they work fine and other times they don’t. No worries. I’ll get it figured out.

KTJO 4x4[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  16. Jan 2, 2020 at 9:13 PM
    KTJO 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    UPDATE ON SPEED OF MOTORS:

The speed of the left and right motor is the same, but the right side (Passenger) has 10° more distance to travel. Therefore, individuals that have made the comment about one mirror is finishing folding or unfolding slighting behind the other. You are correct. This is due to your mirror angel on the right side having the 10° larger angle than your left side (driver side/passenger side).

With us sitting on the Driver's side, the mirror is right there by us, so smaller angel will allow you to observe the traffic condition behind you but you are further away from the right side mirror, so obviously will need a larger angel to see the trafic condition behind us on the right side.

Unfortunately, I have no way or fixing this to make one motor faster than the other currently. Fortunately, it is a very very small difference. At least in my mirrors it is. Hopefully this is the case for most if not all. Anyways, just thought I would share this for those that are asking why one is slower than the other.

Edit: I’m going to try and get the weight of our mirrors drivers side compared to passenger side and send it to my vendor and he is going to try and make an adjustment to the passenger side motor for me to see if they can do anything to adjust for the difference in the degree angle. He said in all the years they have sold these motors that I’m the only one that has commented on it. :rofl:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Rainoffire likes this.
  17. Jan 2, 2020 at 9:14 PM
    KTJO 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    You don’t have the ACC Wire in Pin 13, Pin 6, or Pin 3? What truck model do you have? I have looked at all wire diagrams and I do not know a truck that does not have that wire. The only truck that needs the 12V is the SR5. But every truck has the ACC wire in the Master Switch Connector. The thing is, I think they are behaving oddly because I don’t think you are connected the the correct wires is why. The fact that when you take your shift knob out of park and your mirrors fold, that is a big indications that you have the wrong wire tapped. You are tapped into Parking Sensor Wire of some sort that is providing power to the mirrors when you take it from Park to Drive it’s almost like it is working in the opposite way as our auto lock system. When we take our trucks out of park and we put it into Drive our doors lock but when we put them back into Park our doors Unlock. So your mirrors are triggering like that except opposite.

Edit: Which means....are you tapped into the wrong lock and unlock wires???? Not sure if this is possible to do but your mirrors are still folding on lock and unfolding on unlock.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  18. Jan 2, 2020 at 9:26 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    I have the acc wire I found one I could use. That’s fine. What I am saying is the adapter harness connectors were way bigger than my factory connectors so they didn’t work. No where inside my driver door was there a connector of that size.

My truck is a 2016 access cab with tech package.

Give me a second I’ll get a pic.

KTJO 4x4[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  19. Jan 2, 2020 at 9:30 PM
    KTJO 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    If you wouldn’t mind sending me pics through PM I’d like to see what yours looks like because on my diagrams it all shows that it should be plug-n-play. So if it’s not, I could always have something made for the 16 models

erok81[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jan 2, 2020 at 9:33 PM
    KTJO 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    If I saw your connector right, I think your connector is the same as a Toyota Hilux and it is the exact same as the Master Switch Panel I have from the Toyota Hilux, but I’m jealous because I wish I could have yours. Lol because you could use this

C45E1CC2-49AC-4E46-9930-ACE40F224002.jpg

And I can’t for my Auto Window Mods

erok81[QUOTED] likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top